Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Why won't my Car hook?

For some reason, I can't seem to get my '99 a4 t/a to hook on the street! it's got full bolt ons, .563 lift cam, tune and a 3000 stall.

In a desperate attempt to improve this rear tire smokeshow, suspension upgrades began last month. A set of tubular UMI LCA's with relocation brackets were installed. I'm considering a new torque arm or a set of shocks as a next step in the search for additonal traction.

This car is a street car, in other words, it has never been to the track, and most likely won't, and also means it sees rain, and therefore sports ContiExtremeContact 245/50/16's. I love these tires, and I'm on my second set, but they don't seem to have much bite when I get on it on dry pavement.

Am I doomed to sacrifice traction for the security of a tire that feels more secure on wet pavement, and feels comfortable for long drives in the summer with the t-tops off,

Or do I throw caution to the wind, risk poor traction in wet weather, blown 10bolt rear end, and tire replacement every 5k miles If I bolt on a set of Nittos for street use?

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

I have some ventus(sp) tires and they don't hook at all. I am buying drag radials for the weekends. I get tired of my crappy tires sometimes.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

A months worth a driving in the summer isnt worth one nights wreck in the rain because of poor tires..
    Dont be DOOMED...

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    A months worth a driving in the summer isnt worth one nights wreck in the rain because of poor tires..
    Dont be DOOMED...
    heck it takes half an hour to change them all I was just gonna change them when it's nice on the weekend and drive with them instead of my cheapy daily driver tires.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I am in a similar boat. That is why I like my BFG G-Forces. They have good all around traction (except snow, but I am in Texas). They are not the stickiest tires though and I can blow them off if I want. Still can pull a 2.03 60" time with them though which I don't think is to horrid for street tires and a mostly stock suspension.

I am afraid there is no magic bullet though. Traction means a softer compound which will not last as long as a harder tire. You can find something that is decent in the water and dry, but you might have to do some trial and error. So far I have found something I like. I just had to buy new tires for my car with the old set of BFG KDWs lasting almost 3 years with alot of miles on them and still plenty of tread (were starting to crack).

black
    00 T/A

my car blows the tires off too....but i managed a 1.8 60ft on street tires last time out...my secret is stall the car up t about 2100 RPMS and let off the brake and ease the gas until about 10-15MPH and then put it to the floor i pulled better 60ft times that way then on 315 nitto DR's and trying to get a hard launch
    1999 Trans Am: Dynomax TD's/Mac Headers/TSP Torquer V2/PRC Stage 2.5 5.3 Heads/SLP Lid/LS6 Intake/Built 4L60E/3500 TCI Converter/Trans Go Shift Kit/B&M Tranny Cooler/TNT F2 Kit/G.R.E.A.D Custom Tune/VFN WS6 Hood/15% Tint/Side Molding Delete/ VHT Tails and Sidemarkers/Deep Dish Y2K Wheels

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

GoodYear F1 GS-D3 is a great tire.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    x2... Sweet looking tread too... Decently priced and good wet traction (Snow is a no go though - that rhymed alot..) 35,000 - 45,000 mile tread life too, depending on your driving style.

Black
    1994 Z28 1LE

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    Yes I keep staring at my new rubber

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by PushroD View Post
    For some reason, I can't seem to get my '99 a4 t/a to hook on the street! it's got full bolt ons, .563 lift cam, tune and a 3000 stall.

In a desperate attempt to improve this rear tire smokeshow, suspension upgrades began last month. A set of tubular UMI LCA's with relocation brackets were installed. I'm considering a new torque arm or a set of shocks as a next step in the search for additonal traction.

This car is a street car, in other words, it has never been to the track, and most likely won't, and also means it sees rain, and therefore sports ContiExtremeContact 245/50/16's. I love these tires, and I'm on my second set, but they don't seem to have much bite when I get on it on dry pavement.

Am I doomed to sacrifice traction for the security of a tire that feels more secure on wet pavement, and feels comfortable for long drives in the summer with the t-tops off,

Or do I throw caution to the wind, risk poor traction in wet weather, blown 10bolt rear end, and tire replacement every 5k miles If I bolt on a set of Nittos for street use?

why don't you step up to a wider tire- more rubber contact with the road, more chance to grip the road?

275 -- heck with your mods 315? width?

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Go wide with a new set of wheels and tires; then when winter comes around put the old set back on. Then it's just a matter of $$$ and it sounds like that isn't a problem for ya. Sounds like you've got a really nice car!

My 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6... ASC# 1244 ... Born on June 23, 2001

Midnight blue metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks fluke, It's a decent car for being almost 10 years old already! Wish it was a ws6 like yours though!

I hadn't really considered an upgrade in tire size, figured that would improve dry traction, but become more likely to hydroplane in wet weather,
    Not that any of us mind getting a 'lil sideways every now and again! just need to be able to keep it under control.

Thanks for the input guys!

Black
    2000 Trans Am

If you upgrade your tire size make sure that you can get the tires you want in that size. I have the GS-D3s on my Formula and they completely changed the ride of that car. They hook up well enough that the 305 wouldnt break them free unless you launched it at 2500rpm, with the stock tire size. Yes I know its a 305 TPI but it had alot of low end torque. The GS-D3s dont come in the tire size for my TA tho.

I think Goodyear rated them at
    10 in wet
    8 in dry
    2 in snow

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Ive been through some terrible rain in my TA with DR's. Its not like the second you hit the brakes they break loose.. I actually tested them a lot before when the roads were wet, I could nail the brakes pretty darn hard and not slide a bit. You pretty much have to try and lose it. Just for added safety, because i know they wont hold AS good as a normal tire i always leave a ton of room when the weather gets bad but any decent driver will be just fine. Dont speed or tailgate in the rain, that easy.

Thread Information