Thread: tire squeal

slim_john

tire squeal

Here is a weird question: do all tires squeal when you hit the gas hard and they spin?

NBM
    99 TA

mine barely ever squeal, they usually just spin
    i think it depends on the tire, how much you are spinning them, temperature, etc

slim_john
    my just spin also I have 2 week old yokahama es100.

black
    1996 mark VIII

In my experience:

It all depends on tread compound and tread design and size of tire.

Tread compound is how hard/soft the tires are.

50 thousand mile tires are more likely to squeal, depending on road surface.

Cement roads are more likely to allow squeal, unless they're currugated, such as Iowa's interstates.

Blacktop is usually warmer in the sun, and a softer surface than cement with oil in it, and tires usually grip better on blacktop giving less of a squeal.

There are exceptions to all of that .. just depending on the tire.

Falken azenis rarely squeal, dunlop sport 9000's rarely squeal, contenintal sport extreme contact's rarely squeal. The falkens have close to a 400 treadwear rating, which is surprising.

Some places will take trade-ins on your used tires, if you don't like them and they are in good shape. People also get decent money for used tires on eBay, so if you're not happy with yours review ebay, then possibly you'll decide to purchase new ones and throw those on auction.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

^all of that summed up: Z rated tires don't really make any noise under general conditions, if you get some h rated tires on the T/A they'll scream constantly. I like h rated anyways cause if I'm gonna burn off my tires I wanna hear them bitches scream, plus they're cheaper and smoke more when spun. I'm never gonna cruise 150+ and need the z rating anyways

slim_john
    maybe next time i'll try h rated tires, i like my yokahama's just was curious as to why they did not squeal.

black
    1996 mark VIII

Keep in mind, 'h' rated is 'in theory' cheaper.

You can find decent price Z rated tires, so don't stop your search at the most desireable h rated you find.

Actually, I don't think tires don't really go by 'Z' rating anymore. More like Y .. etc. Some are better than Z rated, I can't remember but I think Y is good to 186 mph. ..And sometimes they're the cheapest tires depending on the size you're in the market for also.

better does not always mean more expensive. ESPECIALLY when it comes to tires.!

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by low_dreams
    Keep in mind, 'h' rated is 'in theory' cheaper.

You can find decent price Z rated tires, so don't stop your search at the most desireable h rated you find.

Actually, I don't think tires don't really go by 'Z' rating anymore. More like Y .. etc. Some are better than Z rated, I can't remember but I think Y is good to 186 mph. ..And sometimes they're the cheapest tires depending on the size you're in the market for also.

better does not always mean more expensive. ESPECIALLY when it comes to tires.!
    almost every h rated tire will outlast almost any z rated tire. I don't know what yu are talking about with the "tires don't go by z rating anymore" nothing has changed, y is just another rating in the system, it doesn't cancel out the z rating by any means. Being good to 186 mph doesn't mean its better than z rated, it depends what you want the tires for. For any of us on the street a y rated tire is worse, they have significantly less tread life and we won't be testing out that 186 mph anyways. I personally have only used my entire speedo once since I bought my first Z28 when I was 17, I have no use for z rated tires so they are not better than H rated for me. If you want tires to scream and don't do over 120 all the time than h rated is a better buy than Z rated. It's all relative

Thread Information