Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Tire brand suggestions for autox/street & drag....

In the spring I am going to get new tires for the rear and I was wondering what a good tire for autox and street is. Also is there a tire you can use on the street, at the drag strip, and on a autox track? I know almost nothing when it comes to tires. Btw I have 20x10 wheels in the back. I know I am going to have to go with a thinner sidewall. I am planning on getting 305/30/20s or 305/35/20s unless I somehow manage to get a thicker sidewall to fit.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

20s aren't going to be good for any of them... nitto nt05s are a pretty aggressive 'all around tire' if you don't drive in the cold or rain. Hhaha

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    20s aren't going to be good for any of them... nitto nt05s are a pretty aggressive 'all around tire' if you don't drive in the cold or rain. Hhaha
    My car is garaged for 6-8 months out if the year so I will look at those. I will probably decrease the wheel size to 19 or 18s next year but until then I need tires.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 10-12-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Im Biased for my tires which are GoodYear Eagle F-1 GSD3 -they have great gripping on dry excellent grip on the wet road and because of the V-tread pattern act "kinda'' like a drag radial. Drawback is the price. As of date these are the best tires ive driven on very sticky.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    The only ones they have for 20s are 315/35/20, will those fit on a 20x10 wheel? Or does it need a 10.5 wheel for that?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

IMHO..i would NEVER use 20`s with any short sidewall( 30/35/40) for anything other then show! If you want to autox youll need some sidewall for cornering other wise theyll just fold on you.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think autocross tires are R compound. Time to do some research as I do not believe there are tires for all three categories you are looking for. Also, you want the least rolling resistance possible. Your current wheels are too big and will cost you time at the track. Plus those wheels are too good looking to be ran at a track. Try a set of 18s that are good and will clear your brake calipers, but you're not afraid to beat the shit out of.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I think autocross tires are R compound. Time to do some research as I do not believe there are tires for all three categories you are looking for. Also, you want the least rolling resistance possible. Your current wheels are too big and will cost you time at the track. Plus those wheels are too good looking to be ran at a track. Try a set of 18s that are good and will clear your brake calipers, but you're not afraid to beat the shit out of.
    I didn't think it was possible but I heard you can run autox tires at the drag strip by lowering the psi in them to below 20. If I am going have to buy new wheels I am going to go wider for wider tires. Are there any wheels out there in a 18x11 or 18x12 so I can run 315s or 335s. I am now thinking of wider tires for my current wheels for street performance, that would probably be more of a street performance radial. This would be in addition to track wheels possibly.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 10-13-2012 at 05:13 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I ran Kumho V700 autox tires. Super sticky, only last about 3-months.

Tread depth in the 32nds of an inch so no rain, and they where not street legal in my area.

I would suggest a different tire (other than autox) unless you can afford to buy new tires often.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I ran Kumho V700 autox tires. Super sticky, only last about 3-months.

Tread depth in the 32nds of an inch so no rain, and they where not street legal in my area.

I would suggest a different tire (other than autox) unless you can afford to buy new tires often.
    What would you suggest then? I have Nankung All season performance tires on right now and want something more racing oriented.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Pirelli P Zero Corsa System| Ultra High Performance Tire | Extreme Performance, Racing Compound, Track and Competition DOT Tire| Pirelli PZero Corsa Tire.

Designed for ideal road handling and excellent on track performance, the P ZERO™ CORSA SYSTEM is the latest and innovative product in the Pirelli Ultra High Performance range, used as original equipment on the most exceptional sports cars.

With a directional front tire and an asymmetric rear tire, the P ZERO™ CORSA provides exceptional handling and precision when cornering. The longitudinal grooves of the asymmetric reduce the risk of hydroplaning while the narrow grooves of its wide outer shoulder enhance grip.

Originally developed for Pirelli’s motorsport activities, the P ZERO™ CORSA is constructed of a softer compound, typical of a racing tire.

A combination of outstandingsteering precision, excellent braking and satisfactory wet weather performance makes the P ZERO™ CORSA an ideal tire for both road and track
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-14-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Pirelli P Zero Corsa System| Ultra High Performance Tire | Extreme Performance, Racing Compound, Track and Competition DOT Tire| Pirelli PZero Corsa Tire.

Designed for ideal road handling and excellent on track performance, the P ZERO™ CORSA SYSTEM is the latest and innovative product in the Pirelli Ultra High Performance range, used as original equipment on the most exceptional sports cars.

With a directional front tire and an asymmetric rear tire, the P ZERO™ CORSA provides exceptional handling and precision when cornering. The longitudinal grooves of the asymmetric reduce the risk of hydroplaning while the narrow grooves of its wide outer shoulder enhance grip.

Originally developed for Pirelli’s motorsport activities, the P ZERO™ CORSA is constructed of a softer compound, typical of a racing tire.

A combination of outstandingsteering precision, excellent braking and satisfactory wet weather performance makes the P ZERO™ CORSA an ideal tire for both road and track
    Hmm I may try those once I get a set of 18" wheels. The tires for the 20" wheels are not wide enough.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

What about Toyo R888's? I've read great stuff on those tires about them hooking real good

Time to do some research as I do not believe there are tires for all three categories you are looking for. .
    This ^^ A single tire won't do everything well, but might do "okay", or better at one thing and so so on something else. Certainly won't find drag strip performance out of a 20" wheel, or even an 18 or 19 for that matter. You need alot of sidewall for a drag tire to be affective, but then it doesn't do other things as well...MT makes a drag radial now for 17" wheels that is 28" tall so you actually get some sidewall out of it. Preferably a 15" or 16" wheel works better for this though.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Time to do some research as I do not believe there are tires for all three categories you are looking for. .
    This ^^ A single tire won't do everything well, but might do "okay", or better at one thing and so so on something else. Certainly won't find drag strip performance out of a 20" wheel, or even an 18 or 19 for that matter. You need alot of sidewall for a drag tire to be affective, but then it doesn't do other things as well...MT makes a drag radial now for 17" wheels that is 28" tall so you actually get some sidewall out of it. Preferably a 15" or 16" wheel works better for this though.
    I can't do below 18" because of my 14" rotors and brembo calipers. If there was a way to do 17" wheels with my brakes I would. I will do more autox than drag so I will probably try to find a somewhat street friendly autox tire that is dot safe because I will have to drive to the track. My only reason for doing drag is to see what my quarter mile times are after certain mods and such. 90% my track time will on an autox track.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 10-15-2012 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I can't do below 18" because of my 14" rotors and brembo calipers. If there was a way to do 17" wheels with my brakes I would. I will do more autox than drag so I will probably try to find a somewhat street friendly autox tire that is dot safe because I will have to drive to the track. My only reason for doing drag is to see what my quarter mile times are after certain mods and such. 90% my track time will on an autox track.
    Yeah, I understand the drag racing aspect to see where the car is at, I like to do the same thing. Just difficult if not impossible to find a wheel/tire combo that does all things well. You end up sacraficing something.

Black/ Silver

For autox what sort of sidewall should I need for a somewhat street friendly tire. What I mean is the car doesn't get more than 2k a year, but it still needs to be able to be street driven.

I'm not an auto-X'r so I wouldn't know. Plenty of guys here that do it though, I'm sure someone will chime in with advice.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you go with 18 inch wheels, a 30 series sidewall should suffice.
    Last edited by cammed goat; 10-15-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Black/ Silver

If you go with 18 inch wheels, a 30 series sidewall should suffice.
    Okay, that is what I am using on my 20 inch wheels. But what would be the best sidewall profile to use? Would rolling my fenders give me more clearance to run more of a sidewall if it was needed. Anyone know of any 18" wheels that are pretty cheap that are 10.5+, preferably 12" wide? When I say cheap I mean $500 or cheaper, I don't want to break the bank for a set of track wheels. Unless of course I sell my current wheels for 18" in which case they could be more expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information