Thread: Taller tire?

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

Taller tire?

i am overdue for some new tires i was looking for somthing that would raise the back of my car up a little bit the ORY i have on the car now scrapes everytime i go in and out of a parkinglot or going down the highway at faster speeds. i dont expect it to quit scraping all together but i want a little more clearance by putting taller than the stock 275 40r17s in the back and stay with the stock tire size up front i dont want to get new rims just taller tires. anyone with the knowledge thanks in advanced.
    2002 WS.6--------------------1994 Camaro
    QTP LT headers-----------------V6 3.4L Bone stock!
    QTP ORY W/Cutouts - POS!
    SLP CAI Lid
    SLP Line Locks
    Aeroforce OBD-II Gauges
    92mm FAST Intake
    92mm FAST TB
    Stage 2 A4 trans

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I would not think that mounting a taller tire would not be to difficult. There are quite a few complications that come along with it however. Your gear ratio will change, which means your speedo will be off. You will also have some issues I understand with the ABS and TCS. I am not exactly sure what will happen, but I am sure others can chime in on that. You will also be putting more stress on your rear end which if you are worried about your 10 bolt breaking might be something to consider.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

as bottesini said, you can put a taller tire on, but you'll have a speedo error and possibly ABS errors. if you change all tires to the taller, then no issues. you could use a 255/50-17 tire that came on the 94-96 impala SS cars.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

i really dont want to sacrafice any width if i dont have to the 255/50r17 is a little narrower. also having a problem finding anything z rated if i do find a bigger tire. im not so worried about the speedo problem i have a programmer to take care of that. about the ABS thing how does that work really? i might end up going with a different rim for the rear and try to put some 315's on it. i like the look of the stock rims on the Ws6 if there is anywhere i can find a wider stock rim, that would probably work too. thanks for the help guys

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

If you want wider there are a few options. You can hunt around for some wider rims (sure someone here knows about some) or you can have your rims widened.

As for Z rated tires I personally don't worry about it to much. I do go for the best performance tire I can find, but I don't really are if they are Z rated or not. I don't get to many chances to go 150 MPH for an hour

Pewter
    2002 Trans am WS6

where would i go to get the rims widend. i know i seen a threat reguarding this but the thing is i live in montana i really dont know a whole lot of performance shops that would do that thing, im also in iraq and dont have a whole lot of resources right now. i will be going back to washington somtime this summer. where would i take the rims? a machine shop? and how much in guestimation would i be looking at to get this done?
    thanks

Thread Information