Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Sumitomo HTRZ III

I need a new set of tires come spring. I don't have a huge budget, so after looking at many tires and reviews I am close to choosing 275/45/17 Sumitomo HTRZ III. They seem to always have good reviews and are actually quite affordable. I was looking into Goodyear T/A KWD but read they are quite loud and EXPENSIVE! I live in Cleveland so I only drive during DRY, summer days. I was wondering if anyone has or have these tires and how are they on our cars, or if anyone else has other suggestions?

I used a set of sumitomo's on a 3000gt vr4 and they weren't bad. However, that car is AWD so it may be a bit different story.
    2001 transam ws7 * black/black * modded up. * sold
    1993 3000gt vr4 * silver/tan * modded/boosted/awd * sold

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

They are crap.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Navy Blue Metallic

what don't/didn't you like about them?

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    They are crap.
    the III's are supposedly not nearly as bad as the other sumi's, have you actually used them?

just another option for the OP, the kumho SPT's are a good budget street tire
    Last edited by creeper; 02-08-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post
    the III's are supposedly not nearly as bad as the other sumi's, have you actually used them?

just another option for the OP, the kumho SPT's are a good budget street tire
    I don't think I ran the III's.

But I know that worn 275 Continental's held the road better than the 315 SumiHomo II's.
    They were like driving on ice....when the road was dry.

While it is fun(ny) in 1st and 2nd....it is shit-inducing at 90MPH when hitting 4th.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

we stopped carrying them at my shop because they were junk. im not sure if most people just dont know what a good tire is, but we buy these cars to perform a a high level. most tires you buy are gonna ride/wear and even handle decent, but you really notice a difference in a good tire versus a junk tire is when you stomp on the gas. what good is a tire if it just spins when you get on it? that will keep the evos and neons buzzing by you. and get a 275/40/17.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by DARK PHX View Post
    I need a new set of tires come spring. I don't have a huge budget, so after looking at many tires and reviews I am close to choosing 275/45/17 Sumitomo HTRZ III. They seem to always have good reviews and are actually quite affordable. I was looking into Goodyear T/A KWD but read they are quite loud and EXPENSIVE! I live in Cleveland so I only drive during DRY, summer days. I was wondering if anyone has or have these tires and how are they on our cars, or if anyone else has other suggestions?
    what tire is that? and if you want something a little more reasonable, a friend of mine had the BFG g-force sports on his z28. he liked them and run about $130 per tire.

NBM
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mpfranks View Post
    we stopped carrying them at my shop because they were junk. im not sure if most people just dont know what a good tire is, but we buy these cars to perform a a high level. most tires you buy are gonna ride/wear and even handle decent, but you really notice a difference in a good tire versus a junk tire is when you stomp on the gas. what good is a tire if it just spins when you get on it? that will keep the evos and neons buzzing by you. and get a 275/40/17.

i agree. i got 315 suckytomos on now and theyre great if you like thinkin your car has 900 hp. im talkin spin city!!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by bobodog View Post

i agree. i got 315 suckytomos on now and theyre great if you like thinkin your car has 900 hp. im talkin spin city!!
    whats with the "" then? lol

white
    02 SS

Don't get the Ecsta SPT's cause they are garbage. They take forever the heat up then they are greasy. There is no happy medium. I have them on my car right now and I am looking the replace them soon.
    02 SS, Cammed and other shit!!!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by supersexy View Post
    Don't get the Ecsta SPT's cause they are garbage. They take forever the heat up then they are greasy. There is no happy medium. I have them on my car right now and I am looking the replace them soon.
    heat up? do you spin them to warm them up?

NBM
    2002 WS6

whats with the "" then? lol
    idk, nuttin personal. i couldnt find a better emoticon

Navy Blue Metallic

what tire is that? and if you want something a little more reasonable, a friend of mine had the BFG g-force sports on his z28. he liked them and run about $130 per tire.
    sorry meant to say bf goodrich ta kdw, got the brands mixed up, not the expert on tires here
    Last edited by DARK PHX; 02-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

hey brian i can hook you up with my guy and get you some nitto street tire not drag radial for about 150 shipped.

i have 3 in my basement with less then 700 miles on them.

tire rack was damn near giving those tires away not too long ago. i think for the money you cant go wrong

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I have the Sumitomo HTRZ III's on my SS. 275 up front, 315 in the back. Let me just say the fronts wore out before the backs in 8 months/~15,000 miles, and the backs were completely bald no more than a month later, minimal tire spinning. Traction sucks, everything about these tires has sucked in my case. I don't like em one bit. They are cheap, in every way.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

I have them on and they are terrible tires for traction. Normal DD and you dont really get on it you should be fine. If your gonna spend money on tires save up a bit more and get some good ones, since tires are critical for braking, handling, acceleration and last but not least your safety.

BANGIN GEARS>STAB N STEER BLK2KSS's Avatar

TRIPLE BLACK
    2000 CAMARO SS M6 #2100

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    I have the Sumitomo HTRZ III's on my SS. 275 up front, 315 in the back. Let me just say the fronts wore out before the backs in 8 months/~15,000 miles, and the backs were completely bald no more than a month later, minimal tire spinning. Traction sucks, everything about these tires has sucked in my case. I don't like em one bit. They are cheap, in every way.
    I had the same set up on my 95 formula.... even with that tired ass lt1 the fronts and back were done in less than a year! I personally think they are garbage and think u will be much better off with the BFG's.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Quote Originally Posted by BLK2KSS View Post
    I had the same set up on my 95 formula.... even with that tired ass lt1 the fronts and back were done in less than a year! I personally think they are garbage and think u will be much better off with the BFG's.
    I had BFG G-Force Sports on my ZR1's when I got the car. They lasted me almost two years of hard driving. The fronts were still good when I replaced them. The backs were toast But you can't blame me for being a proud new owner of an SS at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information