Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Slicks or no Slicks???

I am doing some upgrades on my car this winter and after a tune in the spring I plan on taking it to my local quarter mile track. I was wondering, out of everyone who takes it to the track, who runs slicks, and who just runs on their stock tires. I know it will be quicker with the slicks but I really dont want to break anything either.

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer25f View Post
    I am doing some upgrades on my car this winter and after a tune in the spring I plan on taking it to my local quarter mile track. I was wondering, out of everyone who takes it to the track, who runs slicks, and who just runs on their stock tires. I know it will be quicker with the slicks but I really dont want to break anything either.
    stock rear end will not hold up to drag slicks... upgrade rear end or just get drag radials

Midnight Blue
    1998 Trans Am

I just picked up a 3.42 rear out of a stick car. What kind of upgrades should I do to it before I put it in? What are the weak spots?

Red
    2001 ws6

either a 9 inch or a 12 bolt and throw some 4.11's in there

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Depending on how much power you are making you will want at least a stronger rear end (something like a Ford 9") and if you are a M6 an upgraded clutch. That should have you fairly safe. Things can always brake though, every launch is a gamble, just some bets are safer then others.

I am not to sure how the stock A4s hold up, you are going to have to either wait a bit longer or look around in the forums.

Red
    2001 ws6

your guna need a new rear, clutch, suspension(u can have all the power in the world if it aint gettig to the ground its useless)

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Personally I prefer street tires so I know how I run in street trim, and my car is a dailey driver. I have cut some sub 2.0 second 60 ft times on my street tires, hard to do tho. I don't mean drag radials as street tires either, just my Goodyear F1 GS-D3s. I guess I am also scared about the weak link, the differential. I have welded my tubes to the housing, I still need to get a girdle (NOT for me, LOL!).

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Weakest point in the ls1 is the rear end. It does not matter if you have a 342 or a 411, with the 10 bolt if you put slicks on you will eventually break the rear end. It is expensive but go with a 12 bolt rear and whatever gear ratio you want. I stayed with my 342 cause I do alot of highway driving. It just all depends on what you want to do.

Red
    2001 ws6

if its guna be a track car tho, throw 4.11's in there

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    if its guna be a track car tho, throw 4.11's in there
    And from what I've read in these forums, 4.11s don't afect gas MPG much at all. Most people still get over 25 on the highway with 4.11s, thanks to that nice .5 OD in 6th.

black
    2002 trans am

your guna need a new rear, clutch, suspension(u can have all the power in the world if it aint gettig to the ground its useless)
    ^^^
    agree a moped could beat anyone with 1500 hp...
    whoever gets there first wins

get ya some
    - sub frame connectors
    - 4.10's
    - stock rear
    - stall or better clutch
    - set of sticky m/t slicks or radial

Red
    99 TransAm

Put some Mikey Thompson drag radials on there. I've been running them for about 4 months. They hook great. My best 60 foot is a 1.72. And there not as hard on the car as a true set of slicks would be. And try not to worry about breaking a rear end, if you want to truly see what the car can do, unfortunatly youll have to punish it.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by 99Sleeper View Post
    Put some Mikey Thompson drag radials on there. I've been running them for about 4 months. They hook great. My best 60 foot is a 1.72. And there not as hard on the car as a true set of slicks would be. And try not to worry about breaking a rear end, if you want to truly see what the car can do, unfortunatly youll have to punish it.
    agree

I run mickey et's stock rear still fine will change it before next season

stock c.i single turbo 15psi
    681 hp
    1020 tq

waiting on correct head studs to finish the new 408 no way the stock rear will handle it

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I have a 3.73 in my 02 T WS6 and I had the same question does anyne think if I put some kind of street slicks on will the rear end end up in pieces. I can not stick at all with the tires I have. I am not running at the track just on the street, but I need something to hook up.

Red
    2001 ws6

mods?

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by TopForm11 View Post
    I have a 3.73 in my 02 T WS6 and I had the same question does anyne think if I put some kind of street slicks on will the rear end end up in pieces. I can not stick at all with the tires I have. I am not running at the track just on the street, but I need something to hook up.
    Mickey thompson drag radials, you will be fine. I had them on my old car!! With street tires, i dont care what brand you have, you will not hook. I am saving my pennies to buy a new pair for my new Z. Damn holidays, had to buy gifts for family. I need new drag radials

NBM M6
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    And from what I've read in these forums, 4.11s don't afect gas MPG much at all. Most people still get over 25 on the highway with 4.11s, thanks to that nice .5 OD in 6th.
    Did 250 miles 2 months ago with my 342's. I was doing 80mph on cruise control. I got 22mph over the 250 miles. I had 21 thousand miles at the time and the car ran excellent. Not that I doubt anyone but I really wonder if anyone has gotten 25- 28 miles per gallon. I guess you could but I am not driving at 55-60 mph. I am pretty sure with 411's mileage will go down. Then again everyone has a different agenda. If you are just going to the track 411's are great!

Red
    2001 ws6

if your doing 80 and getting 22 mpg why is it such a stretch to get 28 mpg doing 60?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by pewterzron View Post
    Did 250 miles 2 months ago with my 342's. I was doing 80mph on cruise control. I got 22mph over the 250 miles. I had 21 thousand miles at the time and the car ran excellent. Not that I doubt anyone but I really wonder if anyone has gotten 25- 28 miles per gallon. I guess you could but I am not driving at 55-60 mph. I am pretty sure with 411's mileage will go down. Then again everyone has a different agenda. If you are just going to the track 411's are great!
    Well, some people are claiming 30 or slightly better. I was getting 25-26.5 before I put on my headers, then I checked 2 gas tanks in a row last May on our trip to The Dragon near the Smokey Mountains. It was up to 27.9 the first tank and 28.4 the second. Driving about 75 MPH, with AC on as needed (not too much A/C needed). I fill my tank the same way, try to park with the same slope at the gas stations, and account for odometer inaccuracy two ways: my GPS sensor and the mileage markers on the highway.
    My '98 AT car would get 26.5 to 27.2 with the same driving style, no headers (2.73).

NBM M6
    2000 SS

if your doing 80 and getting 22 mpg why is it such a stretch to get 28 mpg doing 60?
    Only cause all my f body buddies never get close to that. No big deal. I did not get the car to get great gas mileage out of it. A few weeks ago I filled it up, and when I was almost empty I refilled it and calculated it. I was getting 9 mph. I have a heavy foot. Love to hear the longtubes no cats and the loudmouth. Heavy foot high rpm's and loud car, great combo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information