Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

PSI for Continental ExtremeContact DW??

Hi Guys,

I have a 2000 WS6 and I just bought Continental ExtremeContact DW 275/40-17 tires. I live in San Diego, CA and I would consider my driving aggressiveness level to be medium. Anyone have recommendations for PSI tire pressure? Thanks!!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I would run 30-35 psi.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks, Rich! Yeah, I was thinking that maybe 35 or even 36 would be a good way to go. I just want to do a PSI that would be best for a medium level of driving aggressiveness. Thanks again for your input.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Whatever you initially go with, just keep a careful watch on the tires (rear especially) for unusual wear patterns. The centers went out of our Falkens before we purchased the car and I have run as low as 26 psi in the back trying to even them out. Also remember that for every 10 or so degrees in temperature difference you will see approximately a 1 psi change in pressure.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Get an infared temperature gun and pick an initial tire pressure between 30-35. Take the car out for a 20 mile drive to get the tires fully warmed up. No spinning or sliding of the tires. When you pull in to your drive way, shut off and get out right away. Use the temperature gun to measure the temp of the tire tread on each of the two outer edges (1" from edge) and in the center. If the temp is higher on the outer edges you need more air pressure. If it is higher in the center you need less pressure. Each tire may be a bit different so check them all. You are trying to get them to have close temperature across the tread width when they are fully up to normal operating temperature. Each time you change pressure you need to take another drive to get the temperature stabilized then remeasure tread temperature in the three spots until you get them pretty close. You will probably never get perfect but this is the best way to ensure you will get the maximum tread wear from your tires.

Special note, if you find the outer or inner edges of the front tires are significantly hotter than the opposite edge you may need to have your alignment checked to ensure you are tracking straight.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Many thanks to everyone for the great info. Much appreciated!

Thread Information