Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Painting Brake Calipers

My calipers are stock and they came on the car as already annodized gray from the factory.

I've been thinking about getting them powder-coated red.

I work with a company that does powder-coating so I'm pretty sure they will blast them and paint them for me for free. They also currently use "fire engine red".

My question is: I am assuming I have to disassemble the internal pistons, etc on the calipers. I will also have to remove the brake line.

Any tips on this? Will I have to buy a new kit to put the caliper back together? How tough is this? Where can I order it from?

When I remove the brake line, any special tool needed? Will I need to do anything after re-installing the calipers? Bleed the brakes, etc?

Thank you,
    Jon

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I'm not sure, but I'd be willing to guess most auto supply stores will carry a rebuild kit for the calipers. I don't know if the seals would survive the dismantle. As for removal of the brake line, a 3/8 open end wrench will remove the fitting, but I would suggest a 3/8 open end flare wrench if you have one as the fittings tend to round off and can become more difficult to remove. Sometimes a set of vise grips come in handy in that situation. Upon reinstallation, you will more than likely need to bleed them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's a pretty straight forward job really and yes, you can get rebuild kits at parts stores. Powder coating is definitely the way to go. First time I did mine I tore them completely apart and sprayed them. Lasted quite a while really but the second time I did them I used the brush on paints. Doesn't look near as good close up but so far has been much more durable than the spray.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

That was the other option. My friend bought a caliper painting kit and brushed his red. He has left-over paint that I could use, but I figured powder-coating would probably be superior over brushing.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yes....it's far superior but also a lot more work. That's why I've always just painted mine. Much faster and cheaper. Doesn't look as good and won't last as long as powder but from 5 feet away they look fine to me.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I understand and most I've seen are probably brushed on and I think they looked fine. Some even up close, if prepped and enough time was spent on them.

I just have the option to powder-coat for free and probably have it completed in a day or 2 from the company so I was thinking about going this route instead. Just wanted to know how much hassle it was to take everything apart and put it back together again.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I have tried both the spray and brushed on applications. I have had better success with spray on. I have a second set of calipers I have always wanted to powdercoat. Maybe one of these days I might do it Powdercoating is definitely the best of all the options.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went the spray route with ours and have been very pleased with the results. I found that a cap from a spray can works just about perfect to cover the piston and boot. You just have to contour the edge a bit with a pair of scissors.

blue
    2001 WS6

A friend of mine bought a new set of calipers,disassemble them & powdercoated...That way if he messed them up, he could still drive to work..(powdercoated is alot smoother.. imo)

Thread Information