garnet red
    1969 camaro L-78 RS

outer wear on front tires

Im noticing that both front tires have wear on the first 2 inchec or so... bad enough that its almost bald... I've searched this problem here and found that it could be an alignment problem, maybe? The Camaro is a stock 02 SS A4 mileage about 28K.

Also, Im hearing what sounds like a clanking noise coming from the front end maybe? not loud, but noticeable when going over small bumps or down a slight hill...

Would like to get this resolved before I buy new tires... What do you guys recomend I do/purchase?

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Take it to a competent alignment shop. If there is something loose or not right they should catch it.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    Take it to a competent alignment shop. If there is something loose or not right they should catch it.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Too much positive camber. The clanking could be lower ball joints, sway bar links, or possibly sway bar mounts.

Silver
    2000 3.8 liter camaro

had the same probelm...my tie rod was messed up.

Black
    02 SS #8850

I just had alignment done a few days ago at a GM dealer. They charge $100 and I figured they are as competent as anyone else if not more. My left front tire had pretty bad wear on the first inch or two, like you mentioned. My right front was OK. I got the before and after printouts of my alignment and the camber was fine, but both front tires had too much toe. I think the specification for the toe-in is +/- .05 and mine were at .18 and .24 (and mine only has 19K on it). As far as the clunking, just look under there and see if anything is messed up.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Are you rotating your tires? Outer tread wear on the the front is the first signal that tires need to be rotated more frequently.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Its either or both of too much positive camber or to much toe in. I had the same problem when I bought my SS. The alignment was not set correctly from the factory.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

get the front end aligned and then rotate the tires

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Black 2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    get the front end aligned and then rotate the tires

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

stock alignment is shit...
    GM puts positive camber, so that you'll lose traction in the front, so they don't get sued.
    \-----/ this is what positive camber looks like
    /-----\ this is waht negative camber looks like

Just get an alignment to these specs:
    camber: -0.5' or the most negative you can get, if you can't go that far (some cars don't)
    toe-in: 0
    castor: +4.5'
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

black trans am

sorry but not to piss off a mad ort any thing but gm runs cars on a track to set alignment. thell run a car and test and campare the heat on the in side and out side of the tires and adjust till its close to even... and the stock camber is set to -0.1 to 0.9. i did my own alignment and set it to.0 and my toe is also at.00 camber is 4.3-5.3 mine is set at 5.0 and i still have the out sides of my tires worn in

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    sorry but not to piss off a mad ort any thing but gm runs cars on a track to set alignment. thell run a car and test and campare the heat on the in side and out side of the tires and adjust till its close to even... and the stock camber is set to -0.1 to 0.9. i did my own alignment and set it to.0 and my toe is also at.00 camber is 4.3-5.3 mine is set at 5.0 and i still have the out sides of my tires worn in
    How often do you rotate tires?

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

the problem with 0' camber or positive camber is the following.
    Let's assume 0' camber.
    that means that when you are on the highway just in straight line, the wear will be good.
    But whenever you turn, the tires will wear on the outside more than on the inside.
    Note that tires wear more when cornering than when not being strained and going in a straight line, so you'll want negative camber, so that when going in straight line, it will slightly wear more on the inside, but when you're cornering, it'll wear more on the outside (wears more because of the load, but you turn less times)... that's why I recommend -0.5' for street use.
    For a bit of racing applications and street use, -1.0 to -1.5 is good.

I had similar wear on my front tires...changed camber to -0.5 and wear disappeared. I rotate my tires every year as I only put around 5-7k a yr.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

good info here!!!

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    the problem with 0' camber or positive camber is the following.
    Let's assume 0' camber.
    that means that when you are on the highway just in straight line, the wear will be good.
    But whenever you turn, the tires will wear on the outside more than on the inside.
    Note that tires wear more when cornering than when not being strained and going in a straight line, so you'll want negative camber, so that when going in straight line, it will slightly wear more on the inside, but when you're cornering, it'll wear more on the outside (wears more because of the load, but you turn less times)... that's why I recommend -0.5' for street use.
    For a bit of racing applications and street use, -1.0 to -1.5 is good.
    Yes, great "rule of thumb" that is often overlooked. Short, simple and straightforward--makes it easier to remember. I wound up having slightly positive camber on my left wheel causing too much wear on the outside edge of the tire. I halfway remembered reading this last year, before I had to go away on a project for a while. I'm glad I searched for this and re-read it. It only took a few minutes and saved me a good deal of time. It was an easy adjustment to do myself.

How many of you here on ls1.com do wheel adjustments yourself?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    of you here on ls1.com do wheel adjustments yourself?
    i did mine myself. needed set after i lowered my car. it was over a year ago, so i have no clue what i set it to, i do remember setting some neg camber. i have my print out in my folder with all my car info. i only put on about 2k miles a year, so i havent noticed any uneven tire wear. and my BFG's only have about 2-3K on them.

but im sure not too many people set their own since you need access to an alignment machine, unless youre old school and do it with strings.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    yep, but it doesn't mean it'll be the best for tire wear. these cars exhibit a fair amount of camber roll in turns. positive camber with high positive caster causes this. to offset this, you either lower camber, caster, or both. best alternative it to lower camber first. set it to what eugenio ss said and it'll alleviate the outside tire wear.

i do my own, seeing as i own an alignment shop.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thread Information