Silver
    98 Z28

just Freaking GREAT!

ive put about a grand total 700 miles on my sumitomo htr z-III's and picked up some object that punctured the tread about a cunt hair over 1 1/2" from the side of the tire(not from the bead) ive been reading that you cant really repair a shoulder puncture and if thats so, im freakin pissed!! money is tight but this is my luck. every time things start looking up, there;s always something to bring me back to my knees!

This is what caused the damage..

and this is where it all went down..

i need advice asafp! thanks

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

i don't see a reason you cant plug that
    if you want take it to a tire place and have them patch it from the inside

Silver
    98 Z28

i have the slime quick plug things, the thing is that the holes are pretty close together. i dont wanna have to take it to a shop and spend more money if its not necessary, but if its definitely a much safer bet, then ill take it. ive plugged a tire before but not nearly as close. it hurts cuz i just freaking bought it for $120 not including install. but like i always say, "life is what happens when you're busy making other plans" and in the words of Too Short, "life's a bitch.. and then you die"

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

shouldn't cost that much for a patch

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

That is too close to the sidewall. I doubt many tire places will patch that for you.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    That is too close to the sidewall. I doubt many tire places will patch that for you.
    It is close for sure but not in the sidewall.. Most reputable tire facilities would/could do an internal scuff and patch imho..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-29-2010 at 08:24 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    It is close for sure but not in the sidewall.. Most reputable tire facilities would/could do an internal scuff and patch imho..
    No one in Tulsa would touch that.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    No one in Tulsa would touch that.
    Long drive from SoCal. but here professional tire retreaders would'nt have any prob fixing it especially since it's not even in the sidewall.. I had a set of 33's on an 89 2500 silvy that someone cut into my actuall sidewalls. Took it to a retread facility that retreads 22.5 and 24 inch tractor trailer tires and they fixed them right up.. Ran then about 2 years then sold the pickup to a buddy whom ran it another 2 years..

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Long drive from SoCal. but here professional tire retreaders would'nt have any prob fixing it especially since it's not even in the sidewall.. I had a set of 33's on an 89 2500 silvy that someone cut into my actuall sidewalls. Took it to a retread facility that retreads 22.5 and 24 inch tractor trailer tires and they fixed them right up.. Ran then about 2 years then sold the pickup to a buddy whom ran it another 2 years..
    Let me specify, there are plenty here that are able to fix it, just no one will fix those in Tulsa.

you have to know people for them to fix something on the sidewall......

one time i had a 3inch bolt on the sidewall of my dumptruck rear tire, went in on an angle was about a 1inch long hole 1/4inch wide and i know people () and he fixed it with no problem, the tire was only a month old and the patch was there until i put new tires 10months later, haulin 80-100k everyday

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

DO NOT use that tire slime shit.

It may be time to get some real tires.

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

We had a nail in a similar spot in a tire and no franchise tire store would repair it here in IL. Certainly worth seeing if any will. Personally I would never slime any of my Auto or Truck tires if they are leaking.

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

The tire can be patched up properly, without any adverse reactions to sidewall flexing during hard cornering, if done properly. Many outfits wont do the work on it because of the liability of the work done. However, because most performance tires are reinforced with extra belts/ply near the bead area down to the sidewall, heavy sidewall flexing, with regard to patching near the sidewall, is only limited to the size of the puncture (s)and the effect of any broken belts during the puncture process. Careful inspection is needed here. From what I see, repair is viable, yet is close to the sidewall, unless there are more than one puncture. Suggest to patch and move the tire to the rear. Otherwise, dont do any heavy Solo racing, LOL!

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

most places wont patch it due to legal reasons. find a mexican shop and they'll give it a shot

Silver
    98 Z28

Discount tire wouldnt do it. said the holes were a tad too close to each other. if it were about 1/18 of an inch further apart, the fix would've been free.. my wife said its a thai superstition that everyone gets bad luck when they're 25. just my luck.. now i have a big piece of junk rubber with about 400 miles on 'em. Shit!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I second the not using the slime. Terrible stuff. If that was my tire, I would fix it. I had a nail go in right in the corner of the sidewall. Didn't have money to replace it so i plugged it, Lasted a whole year after that before I replaced them.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

You could always have the tire removed and then patch it yourself from the inside.. Then have it remounted.. Just a thought..

You could always have the tire removed and then patch it yourself from the inside.. Then have it remounted.. Just a thought..
    thats the right....and the way i have always done it

Silver
    98 Z28

i cant do any of those because the holes are too close together. when you bore and clean out the hole just big enough for the plug, the space between is too thin and very susceptible to a blow out. id rather wait for a month until i can get a new tire and still provide for my wife and 2 kids than risk destroying my car and quite possibly my life. The Marine Corps doesnt have much use for a vegetable. the pros said its no good so ill take them for their word.

Silver
    98 Z28

on another note, there are no more ants on or around my car.. left it out in the sun for a day in the driveway and i havent seen em since.

Thread Information