Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

hole in tire on the side not side wall just side

The man at the tire store told me this morning that where the hole is located would involve a pacth and plug to repair which they did'nt do.

these tires have less than 8K miles so I would like it to be patched.

I have a hole in tire on the tire tread side about where the you tube guys is.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLoLe5qebds[/ame]

I actually have this repair kit just never used it.
    ?1. should I attemp a repair like this?

?2. I also have some fix a flat in a can. I am reluctant to use this stuff becauce I've heard it makes a complete mess inside the rim and some tire changing places will refusses to change tires w/ this goop inside tire.

Note the hole was'nt the regular nail in tire but a small slite though the tread, I filled the tire w/ 45psi Nonday and checked it today had zero psi so it's a fast leak.

Thanks in advance for surport.
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 06-08-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Patch is preferable as it does not involve shoving a metal rasp and installation tool through the tire. You are less likely to damage the belting with a patch than a plug. Patch obviously involves dismounting the tire to install though.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

To the OP:
    Is your car a daily driver or high performance? Keep in mind when you patch or plug a tire you're degrading the tires manufacture speed rating. Yes it's a cheap way to go to "fix" a tire...but me personally, I would no longer trust that tire and do high speed stuff. Here's a link to give a little more background. Tire tech info

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Flirting with fire............buy a new tire

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

All good points. My personal experience has been favorable with both patches and plugs. I have run tires tens of thousands of miles after repairs -- but there is no way I would make a repair if the tire appears bubbled, distorted in any way, or the puncture is on the very edge or in the sidewall. Following a repair, I always keep an eye on the tire for a while to ensure that a problem does not develop.

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Patch is preferable as it does not involve shoving a metal rasp and installation tool through the tire. You are less likely to damage the belting with a patch than a plug. Patch obviously involves dismounting the tire to install though.
    man said it was too close to the edge to use a inside patch he recommended a combonation patchplug.

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    To the OP:
    Is your car a daily driver or high performance? Keep in mind when you patch or plug a tire you're degrading the tires manufacture speed rating. Yes it's a cheap way to go to "fix" a tire...but me personally, I would no longer trust that tire and do high speed stuff. Here's a link to give a little more background. Tire tech info
    yes you'r exactly right I actualley have a rear tire w/ a patch which is preventing me from any high speed driving, the few times I've done extreme high speed driving is w/ brand new tires.

yes this car is a DD not real high preformance 380RWHP. I would like to read the link you provided enstead of this

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Flirting with fire............buy a new tire
    I would end up buying 2 tires so I could have even tread on both sides.

also this BF goodrich tire has been on a national backorder for over six months
    so even if I decided to replace one it's unreplaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    All good points. My personal experience has been favorable with both patches and plugs. I have run tires tens of thousands of miles after repairs -- but there is no way I would make a repair if the tire appears bubbled, distorted in any way, or the puncture is on the very edge or in the sidewall. Following a repair, I always keep an eye on the tire for a while to ensure that a problem does not develop.
    I too have had patchs for extended miles mainly due to the high cost of a 275 tire.
    again this puncture is almost the exact spot as the you tube vid.appearance of tire is normal no bubbleing or separation ect.

think I get a second opinian on a patch. I really want to minaimze the # of times the tire is removed and mounted becauce everytime they scuff my expensive rims.

also what do you guy's think about the fix a flat in a airesol can?

Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 06-09-2011 at 01:45 AM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post

I would end up buying 2 tires so I could have even tread on both sides.

also this BF goodrich tire has been on a national backorder for over six months
    so even if I decided to replace one it's unreplaceable.

I am as anal as it gets about matching stuff and nitpicky stuff. When it comes to safety though, that takes priority over things of this nature.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by qwik219d9 View Post
    I would like to read the link you provided enstead of this

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The link works for me...but here's the whole link. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    The link works for me...but here's the whole link. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=77
    thanks for link I'll be looking it over.

here's a image of said tire hole.

hole is about a 1" from the edge.

also what do you guy's think about the fix a flat in a airesol can?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

do not use that crap. It leaves a residue that over time will eat the coating on the inside of the rims. Most ppl forget that it is to be used as an emergency fix till you get it to a service station.

That hole is really close to the side wall. The tire guy most likely didn't want to be held liable if it went out on you later.

I'd try to patch it and run it minimally till you can get a new set asap.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I suggest a new tire, but if the customer insists on a repair, I note it in case the tire blows out. It is then the customer's responsibility to replace the punctured tire.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

More than likely a patch will never hold where that hole is. The tire will flex to much and it will start to leak around the patch. I cant tell in the pic but you said its a slit not a hole, I cant tell how big. Depending on how big it is even if you do attemplt to plug it it may take more than one plug to seal. Which is highly ill advised IMO. Dont use the fix a flat stuff it probably wont work and the tire shop will hate you.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Not to mention, Fix-A-Flat is flammable. So if the tech doesn't know there is sealant, and he uses a rasp...things will NOT end well.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

And you have to look at cheap insurance. A couple of tires, or a new quarter panel. Just to start. You can blow a tire at 40, and slam it into a tree. 85? Shit. And seriously consider skipping the BFG's. There are so many better tires out there. tire rack dot com is where i got mine. Pirelli P zero nero's. Awesome tires. Wet, hot, great tires. Check em out.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

I would not patch, plug or use any combinations of those because it is too close to the sidewall. I would replace that tire. Fix-a-flat is used in emergency situation to get you to a service station driving at a reduced speed for a short time. It is not a permanent or long term fix.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

My 2 cents, it's up to you, I've plugged/plug patched 100's of tires and only had 1x ever fail and it was right on the corner of a corvette tire. We told the customer it likely wouldn't hold and he wanted it attemped any way, we had him sign a waiver and plugged it and it didn't last the week, but caused no damage when it did rip back out, just a flat again.

Personally I've never had a "blow out" where your tire shreds and you loose control of the vehicle, i think this only happens when you lose pressure and keep driving on a flat. So I always plug it and watch it carefully. Replacing the tire is always safer and a sure thing especially if you do a lot of long distance travel or plan to.

I work in a commercial commerce park where there are always construction and delivery vehicles eager to drop a nail or screw for me to suck up in a new tire and I don't give it a second thaught, I plug and monitor it and life goes on. I'ts a commonly known fact that you won't pick up a nail or screw in your worn out tires you were about to replace anyway, it's always the new expensive tires the pick them up.

Also the slimes and fix a flats might work but I HATE THEM, anyone who has ever changed a tire with that shit in it will tell you the same thing, I'd either plug it or replace it.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    Also the slimes and fix a flats might work but I HATE THEM, anyone who has ever changed a tire with that shit in it will tell you the same thing, I'd either plug it or replace it.
    I dunno what your talking about. I love the way it smells, how it inevitably sprays you in the face if theres even 5 lbs left in the tire, or how it covers everything in a slimy ass film. Good times good good times.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Not to mention the buzz you get from letting the shit spew out of the valve when you're deflating that tire. I remember when I worked for Sears. A woman who commuted from Pa to Paramus, NJ had tires mounted at my job. A week later she bitches about a horrible vibration. Upon checking the balance, I discovered the balancer kept calling for more weight despite the amount I had already put on. Broke the bead and found ALL 4 TIRES HAD FIX-A-FLAT IN THEM. When I asked the woman who was the braniac who installed the sealant. She looked at me, then my manager, then the sales staff, looked at the floor and said she put in the sealant out of fear of having a flat on the way to/from work.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

ahhh yes, good times, been there done that. constant rebalancing of tires, slime in the face, slime all over clothes.

My personal favorite was a customer who put a can of the stuff in for a valve stem leak, I removed the valve core and it didn't deflate, the leak was the valve and the can sealed it, spent the next 15 mintes drilling out the center of the valve stem only to be sprayed with slime and have it seal up again and repeat.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Lol why didnt you just tear the valve stem out and put a new one in? Was it TPMS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information