Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    01 Trans Am

Help Me Pick Out Tires Please

I was wanting to upgrade to some bigger rims but some things came up and now the moneys not there, so I'm just going to get a new set of tires for now. What is a good tire for the stock rims. When I do a search on like goodyear or something it says they don't have the 245/50/16. I'm wanting something that does decent in the rain as this is my daily and something that'll last me a while. I've got cooper cobras now and they spin like they're on ice after 4000 even at half throttle. Any help would be appreciated.

Black
    02 Z06

It also depends on how much your willing to spend.

Black
    01 Trans Am

I really don't want to spend more than about 160. per tire or course

I suggest Michelin Pilot P2s, they cost twice as much but last twice as long and do the best in the rain

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

If you will spend the money PS2's cost you should go with Bridgestone SO3's. Much better tire traction wise wet or dry. If you have a budget the BFG KDWS is fairly priced or the Sumitumo HTR+ are very good for the price. Just a couple options.

-00BlueTA

maroonZ

Smile Goodyears

I am going with goodyears F1 GS D3's on 17x 9's

275/40/17 little more expensive but traction will be great in wet and dry, has good noise levels and 280 AA treadwear rating.

Check out www.1010tires.com prices look very good.

Quote Originally Posted by maroonZ
    I am going with goodyears F1 GS D3's on 17x 9's

275/40/17 little more expensive but traction will be great in wet and dry, has good noise levels and 280 AA treadwear rating.

Check out www.1010tires.com prices look very good.
    Have you had those tires before? I strongly recommend not getting them. I had a set on my camaro 2 years ago and they wore out extremely fast, 6 months, 4k miles... And I don't lay down rubber with street tires. They are nothing in the rain compaired to some PS2s

I Think, Therefore Z-28 Corvettekid82's Avatar

Triple Black
    2001 Z-28 Vert

I love my new KDW2s. Bad ass and stickier than the bfg G-force that were on there before. I bet the KDs are even more awesome.

blue
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I've had good luck with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Good traction on dry or wet roads. They suck in the snow though! Tire Rack sells them for right around 160.00eack.

Quote Originally Posted by mustang assassin
    I've had good luck with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. Good traction on dry or wet roads. They suck in the snow though! Tire Rack sells them for right around 160.00eack.
    That's where I got mine and for the same price, but when I did a 540 on a normally busy road at night during the rain I checked the tires the next day and it was time to replace 2 of them. Thank god no one else was out. Maybe I got a bad batch, but never have I seen tires wear down so quickly that the cord was showing before it was time for a 2nd rotation.

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

tires

i just bought a set of avon tech m550 a/s. $95 each. i just put them on yesterday. today they did nicely in the rain! i haven't really gotten on them yet but what in read on TIRERACK they should be a great all around tire. i'll report back in a few days to say how they hold up to wot. the goodyear gs-c i had were trash. they lasted only 25k and cost $177 each. and from reading i would stay away from goodyear all together! my 2 cents

Black
    1992 Camaro RS

i would say to get a set of Fuzions, the are made by bridgestone/firestone corp., they are a good all round tire and cheap too.
    1990 Camaro RS - Red / 1992 Camaro RS - Black / 2003 Honda Civic EX - Silver / 2005 Chev. Tahoe LT - White

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by murphy80
    i would say to get a set of Fuzions, the are made by bridgestone/firestone corp., they are a good all round tire and cheap too.
    NO DON'T GET FUZIONS!! I have the 16" Fuzions on my T/A; they seem to be nail/screw magnets! In the first 3 months that I had the tires, I had 3 (yes 3!) tires ruined by road hazards and no, my enemies don't know what my T/A looks like. Good thing I invested in Tire Rack's road hazard warrantee, but I had to pay for the expense of mounting and balancing the replacement tires, not to mention the inconvenience! I have persistent balance problems with the tires - get them balanced & they'll ride O.K. for 2 - 3 months then they'll start vibrating again like a Magic Fingers bed massager in a cheap motel. When I get my 17" Z-06 wheels the replacement tires definitely won't be Fuzions. Read the owners' tire reviews on Tire Rack then decide for yourself.

Blue
    2000 Trans Am

Well if you spend 5-10 dollars more and buy them from americas tire co. or discount tires, you can buy road hazzard there. You get free replacement and installation. Just costs you the new roadhazard cost. Fuzions arent bad tires, but check dollar for dollar the Sumitumo and they are as good if not better.

-00BlueTA

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

go for Kumho Ecsta MX's... I had the 712's on my last camaro and i liked them a lot, now they came out with these and they are comparable to a $300 tire for half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar
    NO DON'T GET FUZIONS!! I have the 16" Fuzions on my T/A; they seem to be nail/screw magnets! In the first 3 months that I had the tires, I had 3 (yes 3!) tires ruined by road hazards and no, my enemies don't know what my T/A looks like. Good thing I invested in Tire Rack's road hazard warrantee, but I had to pay for the expense of mounting and balancing the replacement tires, not to mention the inconvenience! I have persistent balance problems with the tires - get them balanced & they'll ride O.K. for 2 - 3 months then they'll start vibrating again like a Magic Fingers bed massager in a cheap motel. When I get my 17" Z-06 wheels the replacement tires definitely won't be Fuzions. Read the owners' tire reviews on Tire Rack then decide for yourself.
    try 5 more PSI of air, your rims cause the balance to be off, did you get the right size?.. and road hazzards aren't a tires problem, its where you drive

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Well here is my expierence with my two F-Body's

96 T/A pretty much stock except for air cleaner and Hypertech tuning.

I tried the stock Goodyears and they worked okay but deffinetly wore quickly for the most part. Had no trouble hooking at the track because they are soft and thats why there wore out so quick.

My girlfriend drives that car so we went with some Fuzions on the last tire change they seem to be great, they did OKin the snow i.e. she didn't wreck and said she had no problems (Which could have meant she almost hit a curb or two but didn't so I don't need to know ) Regardless my kumhos wouldn't get me out of the neighborhood and she drove right up the hill. Overall they seem to do very well for the money, if you don't have alot done to the car they seem to be okay.

98 LS1 again stock goodyears seemed okay, next set were the kumhos... Right out of the shop they hooked okay and seemed to be pretty good tires, They lasted longer than the goodyears but seemed to loose traction after about 8k most of my mileage is highway so there was no hard wear and tear on them. I also did a few mods during this period so a little extra hp or torque could be why they stopped working so well.

Last but not least I placed an order for some BFG Drag Radial 2's on Friday when they get in if you still have not decided I will post and let you know how they go.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

[Well if you spend 5-10 dollars more and buy them from americas tire co. or discount tires, you can buy road hazzard there. You get free replacement and installation. Just costs you the new roadhazard cost. Fuzions arent bad tires, but check dollar for dollar the Sumitumo and they are as good if not better.

-00BlueTA]

I got my tires from Tire Rack, since it's mail order I have to pay for mounting & balancing anyway. There's no America's Tire Co. or Discount Tires that I know of in my area of Jersey. I had Tire Rack's road hazard warrantee but it doesn't cover the mounting & balancing costs. You first have to buy the replacement tire from Tire Rack then this second party company mails a reimbursement check for the tire, tax and shipping.

[try 5 more PSI of air, your rims cause the balance to be off, did you get the right size?.. and road hazzards aren't a tires problem, its where you drive MadSeason]

Just normal road driving, maybe I had a stretch of bad luck, no flats lately. I'm still running stock size 245/50-16 with the stock chrome plated Pontiac wheels (plain T/A not a WS-6), I haven't gotten the Z-06 rims yet (tax time). I'm running 33 PSI, from the factory I think recommended pressures are 28-30 PSI for stock size. It's weird: I'll spend $25/tire to get them high speed balanced on the best Hunter 9700-9800 road force balancer and they'll run fine for 2-3 months then the vibration will come back. Never had that problem with the stock Goodyear GS-C's, they just wore out quickly because they're very soft. The suspension has been checked out by the dealer, the shop that does my tire, alignment & balance work (whom I've done business with for the past 20 years) and by a 3rd mechanic. They all couldn't find any problems. Shocks were replaced less than 1 year ago (SLP Bilsteins). Who knows what the problem is: I guess it's going to be one of life's mysteries....

Black
    01 Trans Am

well, i have until i get my tax returns to decide what to go with but thanks for all the input. i know that i will NOT be letting big o do anything with my car (i know nobody mentioned big o i just wanted share my story) i took my 85 vette up there for an alignment when i got it back. one side of the hood latched the other didnt, i asked the guy why the hell my hood wasnt straight he had the nerve to say i might have wrecked it! i took it home and got the hood up after 2 hours and they had shut the controller for their allignment machine in my hood. so i smashed the shit out of and took it back

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

LOL did they say anything?

Well I got the BFG Drag Radial 2's installed. Got them shipped from Tire Rack for $300.00

They are GREAT, very very small tread thickness though they probably won't last but 10k daily driving but I think its going to be worth it, I went from spinng in first and second to absoultly nothing. I can drop the clutch at 2000rpm and they hook and I launch, its amazing! It has not rained yet but they look like they will be OK as long as I don't forget I have drag radials in back on the highway. The reviews on Tire rack said they actually did okay. I have Fuzions up front and I can take the highway interchange curves at about 50 with my stock formula suspension and I don't have any sliding or chirpping so I think they handle just fine for every now and then G searching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information