Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good tires for z28?

Hey guys, so i got myself a camaro z28, i love it. It's actually my first car...it's my baby! The guy i bought it off had toyo proxes 275/40R18 size tires on it, on Z06 black motorsport wheels, but it's running low on tread...What are some good tires you guys recommend? Btw if anyone can explain the tire sizing...that would be cool. (If it helps, i really love having FAT tires, as in the width, so it gives it that nice muscle car look when you're looking from behind. Also, would you recommend going a bigger size in the back, and just a tiny bit smaller in the front? I want it to have that "raised ass" type of look, it's so sexy lol) thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

Camaro 1999 btw

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

What do you want out of the tires ? Traction, tread life, handling, or ride quality ? It all depends on what you are looking for.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I'd still like to see someone throw on a set of Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires and then let me know what they think. Hint!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

This will explain just about anything you need to know, including size coding: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=194

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I'd still like to see someone throw on a set of Mickey Thompson Street Comp tires and then let me know what they think. Hint!
    you can almost bet that since all of their other tires are soft compounds that the street comp's will be too so my money is they're a pretty good traction tire but won't last long.

To the OP: The raised ass look is 1980's and trust me when I say if there's anyone here that likes the 80's it's me. The problem is it's fairly tacky and not good for handling. Also....if you go much larger in the rear versus the fronts it'll cause issues with your ABS. You can go a little bit larger in the rear but not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I will be putting on toyo R888s in 275/35/18 in the front and 315/30/18 rear. Like it has already been mentioned you need tires that have close to the same aspect ratio or thickness but you can go wider and personally that is what I would do over getting some really thick tires in the rear versus the front.

Like others said it depends what you want. Toyo R888s are good for handling.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-17-2014 at 01:37 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I will be putting on toyo R888s in 275/35/18 in the front and 315/30/18 rear. Like it has already been mentioned you need tires that have close to the same aspect ratio or thickness but you can go wider and personally that is what I would do over getting some really thick tires in the rear versus the front.

Like others said it depends what you want. Toyo R888s are good for handling.
    So, in other words, from the sizes you mentioned, the 315 will be "wider", as opposed to the 275 which are not as wide, in the front? Does this add a handling benefit? or just strictly appearance? And i'm guessing the 30 and 35 is thickness of the tire? the bigger the number, the thinner it is? correct me if i'm wrong please

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    This will explain just about anything you need to know, including size coding: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=194
    The link you gave me is a little confusing..can you put it in simple terms for me? i.e, what each number means in "274/40R18", i know the 18 is the wheel size, the other two i'm lost.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    What do you want out of the tires ? Traction, tread life, handling, or ride quality ? It all depends on what you are looking for.
    Well, i live in NYC, so originally i want strong enough tires that won't pierce..but i guess traction/handling is what i'm looking for

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Well, i live in NYC, so originally i want strong enough tires that won't pierce..but i guess traction/handling is what i'm looking for

BTW, also looking for a decent price, as i'm not rich..lol. Maybe in the range of 150 each? But not something that's cheap sh*t that'll have me replacing them within a month

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

275/40R18 - 275mm is the width. 40 is the % ratio of the width for measuring the side wall height. So, .40x275 = 110mm side wall. 18 is the rim size.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    275/40R18 - 275mm is the width. 40 is the % ratio of the width for measuring the side wall height. So, .40x275 = 110mm side wall. 18 is the rim size.
    So, the bigger the middle number, the thicker the tire?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Not necessarily. A 315/40R17 will have a taller side wall than a 245/50R17.

Like I said, the second # is a % of the first number so the two work together. If the first number is the same between the two tires you're comparing, then yes.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Well, since your car came with Toyo, and they're the parent company of Nitto, try the Nitto NT555 Extreme. I run those on my 18 inch wheels and they cope with NYC roads pretty well. Try 315/40/18, but you'll have to have your rear quarter panels rolled so the wider tires won't rub. Also, if you want the raked/raised rearend look, get a pair of BMR drag bags.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Not necessarily. A 315/40R17 will have a taller side wall than a 245/50R17.

Like I said, the second # is a % of the first number so the two work together. If the first number is the same between the two tires you're comparing, then yes.
    got it..thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Well, since your car came with Toyo, and they're the parent company of Nitto, try the Nitto NT555 Extreme. I run those on my 18 inch wheels and they cope with NYC roads pretty well. Try 315/40/18, but you'll have to have your rear quarter panels rolled so the wider tires won't rub. Also, if you want the raked/raised rearend look, get a pair of BMR drag bags.
    I just checked the site with the nitto tires, they don't seem to have that size. However, i wouldn't want to go through the trouble to having to do work to the rear quarter panels for the tires either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    I like the idea of what someone said about 315 in the back and 275 for the front, but i don't think they're made in size 18 wheels. I've checked and can't find it. Is there any other similar ratio to this setup?

Black/ Silver

They make tires for 18 inch wheels in 275 up front and 315 in the back there are just limited matching sets and even fewer specifically with Nitto. The Toyo R888s that I am going to get are that size, 275/35/18 front and 315/30/18 rear but a different ratio than what cammed goat suggested. If you search on tire rack for those sizes you will see a reasonable amount in that size range.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 04-20-2014 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    They make tires for 18 inch wheels in 275 up front and 315 in the back there are just limited matching sets and even fewer specifically with Nitto. The Toyo R888s that I am going to get are that size, 275/35/18 front and 315/30/18 rear but a different ratio than what cammed goat suggested. If you search on tire rack for those sizes you will see a reasonable amount in that size range.
    Do you know what the widest tire i can get for an 18 inch wheel (not sure of the exact measurement, just 18"), without having to do any work to the rear quarter panels, like "rolling" them, etc

Black/ Silver

Whether you have to roll the fenders comes down to if the tire rubs on them which is slightly dependable on the offset of the wheel and also depedepends on the tire. I would say you can probably get away with 295s without too much trouble but on certain wheels you may be able to do 315s without trouble but most have to roll and or do the bfh mod to the wheel well.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

295 width tire on stock offset and you will be fine. On TAs you can get away with some 305s. Camaro wheel wells are slightly smaller for some reason and 305s become iffy. 315 unless you find the perfect wheel and offset you wheel need to modify to some degree. Roll the fenders or take a hammer to wheel well. Some even have to trim the bump stops.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    295 width tire on stock offset and you will be fine. On TAs you can get away with some 305s. Camaro wheel wells are slightly smaller for some reason and 305s become iffy. 315 unless you find the perfect wheel and offset you wheel need to modify to some degree. Roll the fenders or take a hammer to wheel well. Some even have to trim the bump stops.
    What do you mean by stock offset? sorry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information