Thread: fix my rims.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

fix my rims.

Hey guys, my 97 TA has a characteristic that annoys the shit out of me. The chrome on my rims is peeling off just the finish. Now short of re-chroming I've been told that there is actually a good cheap fix. However, I just wanted to run this by you guys to see if anyone has had experience with this.
    As I said the finish is peeling off, I was thinking can you buy some kind of automotive paint peeler and put it on the rims and let it sit/eat away at the finish and then brush it clean. I've been told that this lifts the finish off and you end up with just some sparkling clean aluminum underneath, true or false?
    any pointers are appreciated.

white
    2002 z28

ive notice my 02 chrome wheels doing the same thing but only where you cant see them behind everything. its from the heat of the brakes soo im curieis also

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I don't know, but you got one sweet lookin ride!

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

bump... come on someone has had to of done this before at some point... anyone or even a similar situation... I'm waiting on feed back before I take stripper to my rims...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvs View Post
    bump... come on someone has had to of done this before at some point... anyone or even a similar situation... I'm waiting on feed back before I take stripper to my rims...
    Honestly, I have thought of doing this to my silver powdercoated ZR-1 rims! The finish has got to be the same if not better on the chrome wheels!
    I think you could do it if you found a way to get the chrome off!
    Check with a re-chroming facility and ask them what they use to get old chrome off so they can re-chrome them. I would think that they would blast it off with a meterial that is not to harsh.

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula

Also interested. Have my original chrome rims in the cellar, using brushed
    aluminum ones till the $ fairy flies by. Was thinking of cleaning them up and
    getting the rim part red annodized, leave the spokes chrome, now there's
    a project and a half.

2000 Formula - 6spd & t-tops
    300,000 + smiles

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

I was at the Englishtown car show last week and asked the same question to a vendor that offered rechroming services. My 2000 T/A has chrome peeling from the inside of the wheel, and corrosion of the wheel where the tire bead seats is also causing the chrome to peel. That wheel has a slow leak - my tire guy fixed it by removing the loose peeling chrome from the bead seating area, then he put a sealer on the spot. He told me that it would work for a while, but the leak would return as the corrosion progressed. Anyway, the chrome guy said that my wheels could not be rechromed because the center section was made from a different (pot) metal than the wheel itself which is steel. The center section is chromed separately from the wheel, then welded together to make the final product. The center section, because it's made from a different metal from the wheel requires a different chroming process chemically. He couldn't do it, but I haven't checked with any motorcycle dealers yet who know rechromers if it can be done. In the meantime, I got a spare wheel from the junkyard that's not yet corroded. Also, any chemicals strong enough to remove chrome from metal might cause pitting of the metal underneath the chrome....
    Last edited by Fastcar; 05-05-2007 at 11:06 PM. Reason: added stuff

Blue
    04 Silverado

one easy way to protect chrome wheels is put a coat of wd-40 on them keeps them looking good to

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 TA

ttt i need the same info...my chrome wheels (ROH ZS) are causing a leak as well and they all are showing corrosion in one form or another. Time for new wheels? Way too big $$$ for me now...how to repair the leaky wheel?

If there is damage to the wheels, will rechorme fix that without looking funky (the fronts have some scratced up areas form curbs and such...)?

Has anyone had that process done on their wheels?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Same problem with the bead seal leaking from corrosion.

Tire dealer ground it, sealed it and 3 months later it leaks again. We have two of the cars with chrome wheels. 3 leaking wheels between the two sets.

No shops locally do chrome.

I would be interested in repair suggestions.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

What I've done is I would grind the chrome plating off the inner lip where the chrome was peelong and apply bead sealer and let sit for 5 mins. There were times I went around the whole inner lip with a die grinder with a scotchbrite pad and made damn sure the surface was free of any pitts/peeling plating. Only wheels that I haven't been able to sand were severely rusted steel wheels.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Same problem with the bead seal leaking from corrosion.

Tire dealer ground it, sealed it and 3 months later it leaks again. We have two of the cars with chrome wheels. 3 leaking wheels between the two sets.

No shops locally do chrome.

I would be interested in repair suggestions.
    I use sray on permatex (red hi-tack) to seal beads works like a charm. Cleans up with just a rag and gunk.

To the OP:

Chrome is electro plating.. Solvents prolly wont remove it imho.. However it does'nt hurt to try @ this point.. Again imho..

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I use sray on permatex (red hi-tack) to seal beads works like a charm. Cleans up with just a rag and gunk.

To the OP:

Chrome is electro plating.. Solvents prolly wont remove it imho.. However it does'nt hurt to try @ this point.. Again imho..
    Thanks for the tip. I will try that very soon.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I will try that very soon.
    I will hit the bead of the tire too sometimes but it's prooly not needed on more than your wheel beads. I just do it for added measure..

Thread Information