Navy Blue Metalliac
    1999 Z28 Camaro

Angry Does this look like a normal blowout?

my gf and my mom both drove my 99 z28 camaro last week on separate occasions. I get in it to drive it last sat and noticed a real bad wobble in the steering wheel. So I pulled over and looked at it and nothing looked wrong with the tires but i turned around and drove her back home. Its sat for a week or so. I just haven't had time to mess with it cause i don't drive it often. We been unfortunately driving my gf 04 mustang. lol. But I came home just now after work to this. It was fine this morn.

Is this a normal blow out and is it normal for it to blow out just sitting in the driveway. or is there something else. Thank god it wasn't while i was driving it.

you can click the pics to make them bigger and rotate them. not the best quality they were taken with my iPhone 3GS.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I don't think it is normal to blow a tire from just sitting there unless it was overfilled with air then heated up then I could see it blowing out from just sitting there. To me it looks like a normal blow out just not normal for it to blow out from just sitting in the driveway or w/e.

Navy Blue Metalliac
    1999 Z28 Camaro

yeah it ws actually low in air. i just said this morn i prob need to put some air in it when i get off and take it and have it looked at for the wobbling. lol guess i found the problem. like i said it has been sitting for a week. Ive just never seen one blow out while sitting in the drive.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Yeah that's really weird wonder if there was a crack in it before, not just a hole or leaky valve
    Sounds similar to what happened to my 85 Corvette, I was driving and there were no indicators of any thing wearing our with the tire and it all of a sudden it blew out for no reason. I got out and looked at it and the tire fell apart. Really strange huh?

Well actually seems not that similar but strange like your blowout.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

ive had a tire blow out in the trunk... it had a bubble in it so when i changed it i left the other wheel/ tire in the trunk (bubbled one) and the next day i went to take it out and it had a mean hole just like yours.. wire coming out and everything.. but mine had the bubble soo that plus the heat prob did it.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Well first impressions are why are you running a 225/16? I thought stock Z28 was 245 50 16. Anyway, it does not look like a normal blowout, since usually it shows evidence of the blowout on the sidewall, not the tread coming apart like that tire did. Most people (incorrectly) assume that a tire is defective when they come into my shop for a replacement, when it really happend because the tire was ran low on pressure due to a leak somewhere. The tire sidewall gets overheated from excessive flex from running low psi, then "suddenly" the tire flies apart. You can almost always see the sidewall damage on those, and I don't really see it on yours. Sorry to say it, but in my experience working at Goodyear and Firestone the last 20+ years, I've seen a lot of Uniroyal tires loose their tread just like you experienced, but not just sitting in a driveway. That's probably a coincidence. You give a huge clue about feeling the bad wobble in the steering wheel, that is a big sign of a bad belt in the tire, causing just the kind of tread separation you show.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

wow man you really got lucky on that one, it looks like the tread to me was looking pretty bad also, just be glad it didnt happen while you was driving it.

blue
    2001 WS6

looks like u may have damaged the side wall...hit something in the road...how old is the tire..the D.O.T # will say when made
    Last edited by 20ws6speed01; 09-20-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Navy Blue Metalliac
    1999 Z28 Camaro

yeah i did get lucky. and i also have new tires in the garage waiting to go on. When it started wobbling I went ahead and ordered new ones. I also got the 245's to put back on it. The Uniroyals are what my g pa had laying around and money was tight so i had no play. I hated the look of those tires(mainly because of the name uniroyal tiger paws lol. I live in sc and am a big South Carolina Gamecock Fan and the Tigers from Clemson sc are our rivals lol.) but its all i had and it beats walking.

yeah thats why I brought it strait home cause i was thinking of a belt or something in the tire. and i am really glad it didnt happen while driving especially while my gf or mom was driving it.

Navy Blue Metalliac
    1999 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 20ws6speed01 View Post
    looks like u may have damaged the side wall...hit something in the road...how old is the tire..the D.O.T # will say when made
    and i think my mom or gf hit a pot hole and i mean a big one. They dont look to go around them like i do. the drivers side ground effect was popped out and i know it wasnt like that before they drove it lol. No body will admit to it YET lol. but i think that started the problem. after they drove it i got in and noticed the wobble and brought it home and started asking questions lol.

Black
    1993 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Well first impressions are why are you running a 225/16? I thought stock Z28 was 245 50 16. Anyway, it does not look like a normal blowout, since usually it shows evidence of the blowout on the sidewall, not the tread coming apart like that tire did. Most people (incorrectly) assume that a tire is defective when they come into my shop for a replacement, when it really happend because the tire was ran low on pressure due to a leak somewhere. The tire sidewall gets overheated from excessive flex from running low psi, then "suddenly" the tire flies apart. You can almost always see the sidewall damage on those, and I don't really see it on yours. Sorry to say it, but in my experience working at Goodyear and Firestone the last 20+ years, I've seen a lot of Uniroyal tires loose their tread just like you experienced, but not just sitting in a driveway. That's probably a coincidence. You give a huge clue about feeling the bad wobble in the steering wheel, that is a big sign of a bad belt in the tire, causing just the kind of tread separation you show.
    ....this guy......

Silver
    04 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I couldnt agree more. As for the pothole thing, if a tire is ran low and then gets a sharp impact ( like a pothole ) it can damage the belt very easily. I see it all the time. My shop is across the street from the local high school.
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust, if it wasn't for fords our tools would rust

Thread Information