Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Continental Extremecontact DW

Has anyone here tried these tires out before? What are peoples thoughts on these tires? I'm a Goodyear / Michelin tire guy myself.

I was originally going to use Eagle F1 GS-D3s, then I saw that the Pilot Sport PS2s are about the same as the GS-D3s...THEN I noticed this Continental tire. Its performance is ballpark with the other two. Ive read hard cornering isn't quite as good, but for the price its damn worth it. Besides, I don't abuse the turns anyway. Its tread wear is also much better than the other two.

I found them for $141 a tire versus about $250.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I've ran 2 sets of gs-d3's, but I'm like you. Been reading good stuff on the Continental. Thinking about going with it next. You do it first and let me know.

I wouldn't be able to let you know till May-June at the earliest. Discount tire direct has the best deal on them. I did my research with 5 good online tire companies. Came out to $588 as the lowest before taxes. Not bad.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

If I get mine before then I'll let you know. First I need to pay the sales tax and get tags. Then I want to have enough money to get an alignment and the tires at the same time.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have installed those tires on cars in the past. I haven't heard any complaints yet. I am considering installing those on my factory wheels. They have soft sidewalls compared to higher priced high performance tires, but they grip pretty well.

how soft? Ive read that, but I dont drive like a mad man in the turns so I doubt ill really notice a difference. unless its like driving on a marshmallow.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I'm ordering a set after I get my taxes done in a few weeks.

Red
    '98 Z28 M6

I'll be getting a set in about a month here. What sizes are you looking at that are $588 a set?

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

275/40 r17

Red
    '98 Z28 M6

Ok. Cause I need 245/40/18 and 295/35/18 and the cheapest I found was $840 w/ shipping.

The cheapest way to get them at the 275 size was on Discount Tire Direct. Onlinetires.com had the cheapest tire, but expensive shipping. Tirerack was 610 in the end after shipping for me.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

I have had a set on the rear (275/40 r17 )for about 2 months now.. Overall I'm please with them.. They're a very predictable tire: They grip/hookup when I really need them to, but they can still be spun fairly easily if you want. They're quiet so far, but its too early for me to give you an opinin on the wear. I am running a different tire upfront so I also can't give you an opinion on a complet set. They may have a softer sidewall, but still give plenty of grip in corners: high or low speed.. For the price, theyre hard to beat IMHO.
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 02-23-2011 at 03:35 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I agree. They have a soft sidewall, yet grip pretty well.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Tav8ws6 did you ever order yours. I just ordered mine today.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

they are a good tire, but will wear quickly. with the softer sidewall, don't be surprised to see the outsides wear even quicker.

i found the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (priced roughly the same) to be a better all-season tire that really lasted and had even wear.

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

i've been think about gettign a set for my car, but i've been look at the all season ones.

i actually bought a set of the continental pro contact eco something or other for my wifes Malibu Maxx SS last summer and they have been a very good tire. so much better then the crappy ass goodyear eagle Ls 2 that were on it.

the conit's grip well in the rain, drove good on the snow and are really quiet. its amazing how much better the car drove right after we had them put on. we got them through the local delaer here for 110 a tire, mounted and balanced, and that was for 225/50/18's. then we drove to the tulsa zoo that day.
    Last edited by Homer J; 06-07-2011 at 11:28 AM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I got the dws for my car. I am pleased so far. They ride really nice and the car doesnt follow the grooves or crown in the road as much. I went from an older bfg tire. As some have said the sidewall is not as stiff. Doesnt bother me because the grip is good and the ride got better. Rain they seem decent too.

The DW's stick very well in the rain. High speed highway lane changing is a tad iffy due to the sidewall flex. The car needs that extra split second to settle, and I dont care for it. But the light weight of the tires are phenomenal for gas mileage. I got 32 mpgs on a 400-something mile highway trip through mountains. Dry grip is great, and handing is good too, but I dont push my car to its limits.

That being said, these tires are going to last me years cause it doesnt get driven too much, but I wouldnt buy them agian unless they make a stiffer sidewall. That extra lean during a hard lane change at 70 mph is enough for me to go with Goodyears or Michelins next time. (simple solution is to not change lanes quickly...but Im from NJ...sometimes ya just have to)
    Last edited by tav8ws6; 06-25-2011 at 07:08 AM.

silver
    2002 Z28 Convertible 4A

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by tav8ws6 View Post
    The DWs stick very well in the rain. High speed highway lane changing is a tad iffy due to the sidewall flex. The car needs that extra split second to settle, and I dont care for it. But the light weight of the tires are phenomenal for gas mileage. I got 32 mpgs on a 400-something mile highway trip through mountains. Dry grip is great, and handing is good too, but I dont push my car to its limits.

That being said, these tires are going to last me years cause it doesnt get driven too much, but I wouldnt buy them agian unless they make a stiffer sidewall. That extra lean during a hard lane change at 70 mph is enough for me to go with Goodyears or Michelins next time. (simple solution is to not change lanes quickly...but Im from NJ...sometimes ya just have to)
    Are you running all seasons or summer tires?

I have summer tires (DW). It stands for Dry Wet. The DW tires are summer, the DWS is all season. (Dry Wet Snow)

Thread Information