Bright Purple Metallic

Exclamation Contamination on chrome rims

I have the original chrome rims on my TA and have noticed that they are covered in a lacey rust film that will not come off. In the areas where the 5 star spokes meet the outer rim, a discoloration can be seen and felt. on the rest of the rim, it is only noticable when light is show directly on the rim. I have tried to use a few metal compounds to remove the stuff with no luck. The metal surfaces (except where mentioned above) feels smooth without any pits or bumps. This vehicle is a garage queen and only sees sunny days so it is not from road salt or other winter time issues.
    Only 34K miles and still counting (that's from Sept '97)

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Purple TA View Post
    I have the original chrome rims on my TA and have noticed that they are covered in a lacey rust film that will not come off. In the areas where the 5 star spokes meet the outer rim, a discoloration can be seen and felt. on the rest of the rim, it is only noticable when light is show directly on the rim. I have tried to use a few metal compounds to remove the stuff with no luck. The metal surfaces (except where mentioned above) feels smooth without any pits or bumps. This vehicle is a garage queen and only sees sunny days so it is not from road salt or other winter time issues.
    That is very strange. There are many things that can eat away chrome, but since yours is garaged, I do not know. Sorry man.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Hmm. I have same thing you speak of. I just deal with it. Since yours is probably very original and very purple I would keep it the way it is bro

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

You can have them re-dipped in chrome, however it's kind of pricey.

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

American Racing Torque Thrust IIs. Can the originals.

black
    02 vette vert

cheap chrome. a lot of originals do that and it gets wose with age and much worse if you put normal miles on in the elements. you should see mine.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    American Racing Torque Thrust IIs. Can the originals.
    +1. Mine are black.

Bright Purple Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    cheap chrome. a lot of originals do that and it gets wose with age and much worse if you put normal miles on in the elements. you should see mine.

Damn, not what I wanted to here. So what is it, rust, oxidization? Looks like I will have to get them re-chromed so that I can keep the original rims. After-market are not an option. Trying to keep the car as original as possible.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Damn, not what I wanted to here. So what is it, rust, oxidization? Looks like I will have to get them re-chromed so that I can keep the original rims. After-market are not an option. Trying to keep the car as original as possible.
    Oxidation is rust. That is what the problem is. GM probably just put a very thin layer of chrome over them to pinch pennies, however once you get them done right again, they shouldn't give any more problems. Any local precision tool machine shop will know where a chromer is.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I would take them down to bare then work your way back up if you get them rechromed.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I would take them down to bare then work your way back up if you get them rechromed.
    They'll use an acid to strip it down, but you could probably do that with a sandblaster and some stone work.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

The chrome is just flat coming of of the ZR1s on my SS.Its bubbling up and looks like crap.I think I will probably just have them stripped and polished.Does anybody know of a good shop in Sothern California.Thanks in advance.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I had my chrome 16's and after 6 yrs as a DD in Mass they started looking beat and I cleaned the car weekly regardless of weather and detailed every 4 months. By 8 yrs they started peeling bad. I dumped them for some new American Racing "killer" chrome 18's. The chrome on GM wheels is trash. Have them triple plated if you plan on keeping them. Or you could do the best factory style thing, get WS6 17's these polished and don't have the issues like chrome. Especially idf it doesn't get driven much.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

I have some nice 98-00 WS6 wheels if you want them?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Thank you all for your response,However I do like the wheels that I have.I will look into having them polished.Regards.

Bright Purple Metallic

I hate the polished aluminum rims. That's why I got the chrome rims. It makes the car look even better. Also, at the time I got the car, there was not a lot of chrome rims on cars. Now, everyone has them.

Thread Information