white
    2002 z28

can wheel balancing weights be installed on the inside?

just got my samll but big problem that had for about 3 months of car shaking profusley. i even made a post to try to see what was wrong.. but there was 3.75 oz 's off on the rear. but there is 2 wieghts on one tire. and just noticed and want to know if it will still work good if there on the inside

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Pretty sure they have to be rebalanced to put them on the inside..

white
    2002 z28

well all of mine that have been rebalanced are on the out side of the rim. like 99% of the cars i see. but this $8 fix is a 1000 $ to me. no more driving with my cheeks shaking and my mirrors going crazy

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I guess I don't really get the question. Can you run the weights inside the rim?? Sure, I've been doing it for years to keep the weights from being visible or messing up the rim edge.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS M6 #3,850

Sure, you can run them on the inside. But you're going to have to start over and get them rebalanced. You can't just take the weights off the outside of the wheel and put them on the same spot on the inside of the wheel. Make since? I guess that's what you were asking? Always make sure you tell them at the tire shop to put your weights on the inside, and even then sometimes you gotta keep an eye on them and make sure they don't put them on the outside. Been there, done that. Hence, I don't trust hardly anyone touching my girl!

white
    2002 z28

thanks

Black
    99 SS

its where they SHOULD be put, not on the outside

Silver
    2002 SS

Chevrolet (Courtesy in San Jose, CA) rotated and rebalanced my tires at the 30k service and the put the friggin' weights on the outside of the wheels.

I took it back and made them redo them to the inside.

I have the 35th anv wheels and they were perfect until they hammered those f***ers on there... Asswipes.

white
    2002 z28

and the guy was trying to tell me that his buddy got his balanced and wanted them in the inside and then took off. then 10 min later he came back and said there was a wobble or something, then the guy said "told yoU".

but on my right rear i have 3.75 oz of wieghts HAAAAA soo there is 2 wieghts on there. i still dont understand balancing. what is one side of the rim heavyier, or tire rubber is higher on one spot???

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

OK, well balancing is going to make up for the flaws, if you will, in both the wheel and the tire. Niether are 100% perfect. A couple of things to look at, is if they counter balanced your tires...meaning if they put weight on one side of the wheel, then put more weight 180 degrees from it, this is a big no no in the world of tire balancing.

And your saying that they put on 3.75oz of weight on one wheel, yeah, it shouldnt be that much. Any decent tire shop would know how to fix this. Break the bead on the tire, then rotate it on the rim 180 degrees. This makes up for the flaws that are causing the extreme amounts of wieght required.

Also some shops just dont take the care required when putting on stick on wheel weights. The wheels REALLY have to be CLEAN for these to stick, or of course, they will fall off over time.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

A little word to the wise .
    I read in Tire Rack that some of the people who purchased Summitto HTZ tires were so perfect from the factory that the tire installer was blown away.None of the tires required ANY weights at all . Well I was skeptical but went ahead & bought a set of 245/50/16's cause they only cost $ 67.00 per tire. I told this to the Gateway tire manager & he laughed. Well let me tell you , now he's laughing out his ass cause none of my tires needed weights either . I'm now a believer. And they bite like drag radials on the street. Just imagine , a new set of tires that require NO wheel weights !
    Last edited by Z ROADSTER; 08-23-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Sebring Silver
    02 Z28

On the balance machine there are two ways to set it. One is for weights on the outside and the other is weights on the inside. The inner most part of the rim will always have weights. Now when you buy a tire there is a dot. That dot has to be 180 degrees fromthe valve stem for the least amount of weight to be placed on the rim. The Stem is bassically the heavy spot on the rim all the time. Its funny cause its so mindless and easy to mount and balance tires and yet it costs so much. O well.

Thread Information