White
    1998 FireBird Formula

BF Goodrich gforce drag radial

has anyone used these tires? how do they hold up, what kind of mileage are you getting out of them, are the good in wet weather?

i'm just going with the stock tire size, 275/40 17

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

after reading some reviews on the bfg drag radials i decided not to go with them. Instead i just went and put on order 2 of the BFG g-force KDW 2's. They had lots of good reviews and seems like a lot of people are getting a lot of miles out of them, plus i don't want to go with something to sticky with the stock 10bolt.

anyone running the kdw 2's? how do you like them?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the gto came stock with kdws' I believe they were. I got 22k out of those and was never real impressed with them. Little different tire than what you're getting though. I'm just not a bfg fan altogether. I had bfg all terrains on my truck and they were the worst tire I've ever ran. I'm a big fan of kuhmo just do to my luck and the bang for the buck factor. Is your car a daily driver?

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

what was it that you didn't like about them? i've read a lot about them being loud but with the cut-out open i don't think i'm going to have much of a problem with tire noise.

its not a daily driver, i basically bought it to have fun with, tear up the streets on the weekends, take to work every now and then, and take to the drag strip. Like i said i didn't want something to sticky for when i go to the drag strip since i am stilling running the 10bolt.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Tx98Formula View Post
    what was it that you didn't like about them? i've read a lot about them being loud but with the cut-out open i don't think i'm going to have much of a problem with tire noise.

its not a daily driver, i basically bought it to have fun with, tear up the streets on the weekends, take to work every now and then, and take to the drag strip. Like i said i didn't want something to sticky for when i go to the drag strip since i am stilling running the 10bolt.
    I wasn't happy with the mileage I got out of the kdws on the gto....22k? I put kuhmo's on there and had 36k on those when I traded it off. Granted they were pretty well done but that's another years worth of mileage. The BFG all terrains I had on my truck just stunk plain and simple. Even on just wet roads the backend of the truck would be all over the place. What kinda mileage are you wanting to get out of the tires? If mileage isn't an issue since it's a non-daily car I would run Nitto 555R's on it. I can get ~13k out of Nitto's and still cut good 60' times. Are you an auto or stick car? The auto's are a little easier on the rearends than the stick cars are so you can get away with a Nitto pretty easily IMO. I cut some 1.7x 60's with my Nitto's before buying MT's for the track last year.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

My car is an auto, 98 formula a4... just has LT headers, manual cutout, k&n, slp lid, msd wires, ngk tr55 plugs, mail order tune, and 3.73's. I was told by the previous owner that it has a mild cam but he couldn't give me any specs on it, i don't even know if it really has an aftermarket cam in it for sure.. But here soon i'll be getting a 3200 stall and possibly a different cam.

I wanted to get the nitto 555r's but i needed to get tires asap so i just threw them on my sears card and all sears had for a decent sticky street tire was the BFG's. I don't plan on getting a whole lot of miles out of these, i'll be happy with 22k. I'll probably pick up another set of rims for the rear and throw some good drag radials on those for track use.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

the tires that are on the back now are yokohama es 100's and they are horrible, i get no traction with them at all. I was doing about 50mph down the road gave it maybe 3/4 throttle and started spinning, and i believe they only have about 1k miles on them right now, still a lot of tread left.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial for the track hands down. Very sticky when heated up properly. They don't last on the street. Leaves me changing tires between driving on a cruise and track day (or night) but they're worth it.

FYI: I have a 10-bolt with 3.73's and 3400 stall with tunnel mount adjustable T/A and I get 1.73 60' all day...

If you get a stall don't waste your $$$ on Nitto 555r's. That's what I had before the stall. Worked OK before but the stall just blew them off.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radial for the track hands down. Very sticky when heated up properly. They don't last on the street. Leaves me changing tires between driving on a cruise and track day (or night) but they're worth it.

FYI: I have a 10-bolt with 3.73's and 3400 stall with tunnel mount adjustable T/A and I get 1.73 60' all day...

If you get a stall don't waste your $$$ on Nitto 555r's. That's what I had before the stall. Worked OK before but the stall just blew them off.
    I disagree....Nitto's can hook fairly decent and get twice the mileage of most drag radials. I cut 1.7 60's with Nitto's and know a bunch of people that cut better 60's than that with them. I went to a line lock and MT's last year and it raised my best 60' by .02 over the Nitto's. My average went way down but my best 60 really didn't.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I disagree....Nitto's can hook fairly decent and get twice the mileage of most drag radials. I cut 1.7 60's with Nitto's and know a bunch of people that cut better 60's than that with them. I went to a line lock and MT's last year and it raised my best 60' by .02 over the Nitto's. My average went way down but my best 60 really didn't.
    The 555r's worked OK for me untill I installed a 3400 stall converter. At that point, even flashing it off idle (even heated up) resulted in copious amounts of tire smoke but little in the way of forward movement.

That's how my car got the name (and I bought a plate) "TIRFRYR". With the MT's it's a dead hook off the line.

You may have heard that Nitto came out with a sticker tire (bigger contact patch too) called the 05r. Supposed to be as good as (if not better than) ET Street DR's.

As always these are just my experiences. Your experiences may differ from mine.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 03-22-2010 at 04:42 PM.

White
    1998 FireBird Formula

When i pick up another set of rims i'll be going with ET streets for track use.

how many miles do you have on the 10bolt? my car has 166k so thats why the 10bolt worries me right now, i don't know if anything has been done to improve it, or even if its the original rear end... The guy i bought the car from really couldn't tell me to much about it, other then the obvious bolt-ons and that the motor was replaced with one from LKQ, didn't know how many miles were on the motor either.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

the gto came stock with kdws' I believe they were. I got 22k out of those and was never real impressed with them. Little different tire than what you're getting though. I'm just not a bfg fan altogether. I had bfg all terrains on my truck and they were the worst tire I've ever ran. I'm a big fan of kuhmo just do to my luck and the bang for the buck factor. Is your car a daily driver?
    You're comparing apples to oranges. The KDWS on the GTO is an all-season tire. The whole point of that tire is to be "drivable" in average year-round conditions, but not to excel in any specific environment. The KDW 2, however, is a summer performance tire, specifically designed for high-performance applications encountering wet or dry roads at temperatures above freezing. These two tires only share the manufacturer and a similar name, nothing more.

Many racers hold the G-Force DRs in very high regard. I've never heard anybody complain about a lack of traction with the NT-555R (my friend was running them on his 500+ hp SS without issue) but if you don't like it, check out the new NT05R.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges. The KDWS on the GTO is an all-season tire. The whole point of that tire is to be "drivable" in average year-round conditions, but not to excel in any specific environment. The KDW 2, however, is a summer performance tire, specifically designed for high-performance applications encountering wet or dry roads at temperatures above freezing. These two tires only share the manufacturer and a similar name, nothing more.
    for those that missed it the first time.

Just wanted to clarify the difference. Not so much for you, but for the reader. Kinda worded that a little more sharply than intended. Lol.

Bang for buck I REALLY liked my BFG G-Force Sports, to be honest. Great tire, decent in the rain, didn't break the bank. Held a sport compact dry cornering record for a while too.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by RJWZ28 View Post
    Just wanted to clarify the difference. Not so much for you, but for the reader. Kinda worded that a little more sharply than intended. Lol.
    no problem and I realize the summer tires are a completely different compound and tread pattern. I'm just not a fan of BFG's. Lots of people are....I've just never had any good experiences with them.

Thread Information