black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Best street tire

I am having traction issues, I am not sure if anyone has asked this before but I am sure they have so I am asking it again. What is the best Street tire as in traction. I currently have BFG KDW %70 tread left. Is there a street tire that hooks better? I plan on getting DR for the track but want some more traction for the street too without losing the ability to be driven daily. I say that cause I hear the DR suck in wet conditions. Is the BFG KDW the best I can get or is there better?
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

red/black
    97 Firebird

KDs have better traction but at a price
    sux at wet and maybe get half the mileage

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Nitto 555R might be something you want to look into. They hook better on the street and are perfectly fine for normal driving conditions. They do fine in rain as well. You probably won't get as much mileage out of them as you would KDWs but you will gain some traction. I think it would be the tradeoff you are looking to make. The Nitto 555R is cheaper than the KDW as well.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by KageSS View Post
    Go with KDWS for best traction.

http://www0.epinions.com/content_90318933636
    I think he is intersted in being able to hook, which the KDWS isn't going to do. The KDWS is a tire for weather conditions, Dry/Wet/Snow. It doesn't do well at all for launching though.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

under normal driving (not much launching) how many miles would the 555r last? is it very drastic compared to the KDW?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I think he is intersted in being able to hook, which the KDWS isn't going to do. The KDWS is a tire for weather conditions, Dry/Wet/Snow. It doesn't do well at all for launching though.
    Maybe it doesn't hook up for you. I cut consistent 1.95's-1.99's at the track all night long with KDWS's. I guess the well prepped track and the ability to heat em up a little helped there. Of course on the street they do suck.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    under normal driving (not much launching) how many miles would the 555r last? is it very drastic compared to the KDW?
    I have gotten 20-25K miles out of my KDW's. I have heard of people getting 15K miles out of Nitto's, that part is just gonna be up to your driving style though.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SSmoky01 View Post
    Maybe it doesn't hook up for you. I cut consistent 1.95's-1.99's at the track all night long with KDWS's. I guess the well prepped track and the ability to heat em up a little helped there. Of course on the street they do suck.
    Never had them myself, but a friend of mine did, they never got traction worth a plug nickle from a roll on the streets for him.

Dang good 60's you are cutting with them though

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

hmmm. I may try the 555R once and see how they do. Gonna wait till the KDW is spent first though.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

with the addition of a TC (in the spring) is that going to make my traction problem worse on the street?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

with the addition of a TC (in the spring) is that going to make my traction problem worse on the street?
    Yep in a fun way

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Just looked it up for you,

Treadratings:

KDWS=400
    KDW=300
    KD=200
    555R=100

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Y2KpewterSS: not sure how that rating works, I assume the lower the number the better the traction. 555R is an actual street tire right?

KageSS: not to worried about the snow so I dont need the KDWS, I have KDW now though. On the days there is snow on the ground I will just ride with the ole lady where ever I got to go. We work at the same place, only thing is our hours are 1 hour different I have to be there at 7 and she doesnt usually get there till 745. but she will adjust for the snow. So it works out.

What ever happened to the Goodyear Eagle F1? I had them on my 96 t/a some time ago, I liked them but then again I liked the KDW before I started Modding the car.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Sorry, I should have explained better, the lower the # means the softer the compound which means it will hook up better. It also means less miles out of the tire.

Y2KpewterSS: not sure how that rating works, I assume the lower the number the better the traction. 555R is an actual street tire right?

KageSS: not to worried about the snow so I dont need the KDWS, I have KDW now though. On the days there is snow on the ground I will just ride with the ole lady where ever I got to go. We work at the same place, only thing is our hours are 1 hour different I have to be there at 7 and she doesnt usually get there till 745. but she will adjust for the snow. So it works out.

What ever happened to the Goodyear Eagle F1? I had them on my 96 t/a some time ago, I liked them but then again I liked the KDW before I started Modding the car.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

how well do you think the KD and the 555R would actually do in the rain, I will be putting them on all 4 more than likely.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I put on Goodyear Eagle F1-GS D3. These are better than the normal F1 tires. I have not looked back, I get almost as good traction in the rain now as in the dry, my 60 foots are 1.98-2.x. A little heat at the track and they hook good for me. I expect about 25k to maybe 30k, I put almost 4,000 highway miles this past year on them

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

price on the eagle F1 GS d3?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

$$$. Check the Tire Rack. Don't get the run-flats. I work at Goodyear, I paid about $700. Before I got them I saw somebody at the dragstrip with them on his car. I asked him how he liked them and he said very very much. He told me he could drive almost as hard in the rain as his old tires did in the dry. I really did not believe him until I put some on my car 1 year later. This does not mean they suck on dry roads, just gives you that much more confidence in the wet. Also, I saw this past August that Car and Driver rated them #1 overall over 10 other tires. They were #1 in the wet, and 3# in the dry. Made me feel good about the purchase even tho they are not the cheapest. You get what you pay for...............

Thread Information