Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

best snow tires ? 275/40/17

is there such thing as snow tires for our cars or are there only "all weather" tires? I've been to a couple of tire site and searched specifically for 275/40/17 snow tires and got nuthin'.

can anyone suggest a good set of winter tires or wet traction tires for my ws.6?

Black
    1997 LT1 Z28

Your not really going to find a snow tire in that size. I recommend going to tire racks site and purchasing there winter wheel package kit. you get (4) 16'' steel wheels along with (4) 16'' blizzacks tires which are for the winter only it's a little over $300 for this. It may look like crap but at least you will have winter tires and keep the chances down of a accident. or get a set of 16'' wheels and put a snow tire on.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Yep he's right, they don't make snow tires in 17 inch size, the fatter the tire the more useless it is in snow.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Get 16" wheels

I can personally recommend Dunlop Wintersport M2 Tires (i think the m3s are out now) for light - medium snow and daily driving. They wear well, ride decently when it's dry, and give a decent amount of traction on a real wheel drive muscle car. I used them on a '04 Mustang GT with a set of cheap ebay 16" oem wheels.

Pewter Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS.6

I've been recommended to get Kumho Ecsta ASX's for my WS6. Also was told to have them, or whatever tire I go with, siped. I guess tire siping really helps in the snow. The closest sized snow tires I've found was a 255/45/17 going for about 210/ea.

Black
    1992 Camaro RS

Quote Originally Posted by DaLastLT1
    Your not really going to find a snow tire in that size. I recommend going to tire racks site and purchasing there winter wheel package kit. you get (4) 16'' steel wheels along with (4) 16'' blizzacks tires which are for the winter only it's a little over $300 for this. It may look like crap but at least you will have winter tires and keep the chances down of a accident. or get a set of 16'' wheels and put a snow tire on.

I have heard good things about the Bridgestone Blizzaks

johnnyv

winter tires

I had to get snow tires for my camaro - since my 17x9 chrome rims were pitting very badly - I decided to use them for snow tires. I got the the blizzaks LM-22 255x40x17 - this wasn't my first choice - but I got a good deal. My first choice was the Dunlop M3 265x40x17.

While 255x40x17 is alittle smaller in tire diameter - they do fit the rim perfectly. The 245x45x17 I believe give the same tire diameter.

Blizzak LM-22 is h-rated - the LM-25 are v-rated - both are high performance winter tires with the snowflake marking.

hope this helps

black
    1999 Trans Am

Shop online at tirerack.....Thats where I got mine, purchased their winter set with steel rims for about $850, so far they've worked great in ice and the one snow day we had......Just makes your car look like shit.....Can't find hubcaps to put over the black steel look on a black car....

Red
    2004 GTO

Bridgestone Blizzaks are the best on 16 wheels. I used them for several seasons on my 98 Formula and will get a set for my GTO in the near future. Got mine from tirerack and they served me well. Still have them in my garage if you are interested in the wheels. Tires are very worn.

impulse blue
    06 GTO

BF Goodrich KDWS got me around in light snow. Of course I had some weight in the back.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Lightbulb

BFGoodrich KDWS. Got me around really good with a couple bags of sand in the deck and in the well. That tire has a good snow rating.-Tim

quicky06
    wide snow tires are useless.

the wider a tire the less pressure per square inch is on the rubber thus making the tire float on the snow. you want a thinner tire. i wouldnt go over 235 for a snow tire

johnnyv
    I have the blizzaks 255/40/17 snow tires and they work great. I was driving in 12cm of snow the other day without any problems. (Mind you - I have my subwoofers in the back giving that extra weight)

So I wouldn't say that they're useless.

Yes narrower snow tires are better - but I didn't want to drive around with 185 on a 15 or 16 inch black rim.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The BF Goodrich KDWS has so much traction in wet snow and dry that it takes some of the fun out of it.I put about 80 pounds of floor jack in the back when there is snow around but even the wet weather traction w/o the weight is awesome.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

The only con with KDWS's are the cornering..... otherwise they are awesome. A good coice for a 17x9.5 rim. -Tim

'00_Z
    I put the Kuhmo ASX's on the Camaro for everyday driving and they work fine, but not in snow, and not really any better than other all-seasons I've had in the rain. I just bought a couple of WinterForce tires for my Lincoln though, and they suprised the hell out of me! 52 bucks apiece and I couldn't even get the rear to kick out in all this snow we have. I really should invest in a couple for the front though.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 WS6 Trans Am Vert

For me . . .

Best snow tires = heated indoor secures storage - see you in April tires.

= 93 explorer w/ 250 clicks on it - fugly and worth it

blk
    99t/a

i just discovered my winter beater is trashed. i have to drive my t/a all winter. i put on 215-50-16 nokia hakapu's STUDDED. i feel like i could race on the lake!

Thread Information