Black
    02 SS #8850

Balance weights really needed on outside of rim?

More "expensive" cars don't have them. But they always put them on my wheels. The stick-on weights on the inside of the rim can't be that bad, can they?

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

I flatly refuse to let my tire guy clip on any
    outside weights! I always go to the same guy and he "gets" my
    anal attention to detail. He once even dis-mounted
    and re-mounted a tire as the row of stick on weights could not be
    placed behind a spoke!!

Careful balancing can always be addressed with stick on
    weights.

Just ask and make sure you get what you want.....

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

As long as the surface is clean there is nothing wrong with stick on weights. That is what I use and I have yet to have a problem.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree. I always go with stick on weights. Never had an issue.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Just make sure you have a competent tech and balancer. Then you will have no problem. Our Hunter Road Force never has a customer complain about vibration, and we hide the weights behind the spokes as a courtesy.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yep....you have to make sure you tell them you want stick on's.

I have my own tire changer/balance machine and I have always static balanced everything just because I have never liked to look at the weights on the outside of the wheels.

I've used both stick on and knock on wheel weights on the insides. 99% of the time I prefer the knock on weights, and I carry different styles to fit different wheel lips. I just find they stay on without issues and I get a better balance with the weights furthest outside. I'll use stick on occasionally on wheels that won't accept knock ons, like Ansen aluminum mags for instance, but the wheels have to be super clean or they won't stay on there for long.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I just tell them to put them on the inside. Otherwise, they always seem to want to put them on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I just tell them to put them on the inside. Otherwise, they always seem to want to put them on the outside.
    Yep, my experience was that nearly all places will want to dynamic balance the wheels (weights on both sides) unless I specified. The explanations I used to get were because they wouldn't guarantee vibration free with just a static balance. Always used to get "the look" from the tech too, lol.
    I don't mind wheel weights on both sides when I'm running steel wheels with beauty rings because you can't see the weights anyway, but if I have to stare at the weights, then it's static balance only.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I spray some brakleen on a rag and wipe the inside of the wheels real good then throw on the tape weights. If the customer requests tape weights, I oblige without a second thought. No complaints from customers.

One thing I notice, and this depends on the brand of wheel and the brand of tires, is that static balancing can take a little more weight to get the assembly to balance since you are relegating weights to only one side.

With a good wheel and tire combo it's not bad at all,, but I've had some cheaper stuff in here that takes what I consider an excessive amount of weight. Sometimes in those cases it's better to dynamic balance for a better end result.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

+1 on using the Hunter Road Force balance system. It costs more but for those of us who are extremely picky about things there is a difference.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    One thing I notice, and this depends on the brand of wheel and the brand of tires, is that static balancing can take a little more weight to get the assembly to balance since you are relegating weights to only one side.

With a good wheel and tire combo it's not bad at all,, but I've had some cheaper stuff in here that takes what I consider an excessive amount of weight. Sometimes in those cases it's better to dynamic balance for a better end result.
    True, but putting the weights only on the inside does not necessarily mean it is a static balance, as the weight that would normally be on the outer flange is only an inch or so away from there. It is still dynamically balanced, but may require a *bit* more weight. Most people easily feel the static imbalance before they will feel the same amount of dynamic, hence the Hunter Smart Balancers.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    True, but putting the weights only on the inside does not necessarily mean it is a static balance, as the weight that would normally be on the outer flange is only an inch or so away from there. It is still dynamically balanced, but may require a *bit* more weight. Most people easily feel the static imbalance before they will feel the same amount of dynamic, hence the Hunter Smart Balancers.
    Yeah my electronic spin balancer has the ability to balance that way as well, with 3 options of 2 rows of weights on the inside of the wheel depending on the design of the wheel so you can program a dynamic balance all on the inside of the wheels in different configurations.

However I don't care to do that, I prefer the static balance with a knock on weight on the inside lip only and avoid all the stick on stuff that would be needed on the second inside row with a dynamic balance. I would likely resort to that if I had a really stubborn wheel/tire combo, but I just haven't found it necessary on my stuff. As long as you have a good OEM wheel with a quality tire, they balance pretty easily this way.

Thread Information