Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Anyone's vette rims peeling on the inside?

Well I was washing my car for the first time since I got it out this year, and noticed my replica c6 wheels were starting to corrode a little on the inside, you know the part that goes around the rotors.......My buddies c5 replica wheels have already completely corroded all the way around and I don't want mine to look that bad.

So I'm thinking about putting the car on stands and pulling all the wheels off and spraying a clearcoat of paint all around the inside......and see how that holds up.

Then when I get the tires dismounted for new ones I could sandblast the inside (carfully so I don't damage the outside chrome) and powder coat them(I have my own powder coating setup. That would probally be what I should do now but I don't want to pull the tires off.

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem, and what you think about it. Thanks

pewter
    00 TA m6 vert

I've seen this on many chrome plated wheels... its pretty much inevitable. It usually takes a few years though, unless you using a ton of harsh cleaning products or drive during the winter in a place where they salt roads. Sounds like you got some good ideas, just be careful with the sand blasting or other method of removing the corroded metal, as it can peel all the way back to the front of the rim.

The last set I did, I used a razor blade and 400 grit metal sand paper all by hand. Then I masked eveything up and rattle canned it with black rubberized under coating. Worked perfect, but was a total bitch

Good luck

Blue
    1999 Chevy Corvette

I had to replace my front tire this week and when we pulled the tire off I was pretty mad to find that the previous owner had used Fix-a-Flat which has corroded the part of the rim the tire usually covers. It is pretty bad, in fact some of the chrome is peeling up and over the lip and into the front of the rim. If I could figure out how to post pics I would show you. So far I have wire brushed most of the corrosion out, and soaked it in WD40. I'm at a loss now though cause I don't think I will be able to save it. Would it be easier to just have the wheel sand blasted and then re-plated? I can't spend too much right now.

White
    1998 Trans Am

My chome 16" TA wheels peeled and cipped 3 outta four all over. Cheap GM plating

Artic White
    1998 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

My 18" C5 Y2k's are peeling and they look like crap on the inside.

[B]1998 Camaro Z28 [B]M6 SLP Air Lid, K&N, SLP Smooth Bellow, SLP Loudmouth exhaust, MSD wires, NGK Plugs, LS6 Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywheel, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Skip-Shift, Clear Corner & Side Markers, White Face Gauges, 15% tint & 18" Chrome Y2K's with 285's

Thread Information