Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

All Season Tires

I need some suggestions on new tires. They are for an 02 Z28, driven by my 60 year old mother. Needless to say, she doesn't drag race at all and seldom flies the twisties. What she needs is a good set of all season tires that give good traction in snow and rain and provide decent performance.
    Her car has the original Goodyear Eagle tires, any suggestions on tires that will perform better or at least as good as these in the snow and rain would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I have the bf goodrich g-force kdws. I have been caught in the snow and they performed pretty good for being a wide tire. I have about 40,000 and could be replaced but still work good in the rain.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I'd go with the goodyear's again or michelin's

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    I have the bf goodrich g-force kdws. I have been caught in the snow and they performed pretty good for being a wide tire. I have about 40,000 and could be replaced but still work good in the rain.
    KDWS have been replaced by Super Sport A/S . I bought them last winter and they were great

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    I need some suggestions on new tires. They are for an 02 Z28, driven by my 60 year old mother. Needless to say, she doesn't drag race at all and seldom flies the twisties. What she needs is a good set of all season tires that give good traction in snow and rain and provide decent performance.
    Her car has the original Goodyear Eagle tires, any suggestions on tires that will perform better or at least as good as these in the snow and rain would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
    All seasons are OK in all weather conditions but you cannot expect miracles. For yours and your Mom's safety the best thing is to put good summer tires on your rims and buy an additional set of winter tires and rims for the winter. With my winter tires on I fly buy SUV's in the snow and with my summer tires on I fly buy everything, LOL. This is the only way to go if you see snow where you live.
    2002 Camaro Z28 Bolt ons, Flowmaster catback w/3" QTP electric cutout, Superchips tuned, Granatelli MAF, SLP cold air induction Lid & filter, ZEX powertune plugs, Taylor 10.4mm wires, 160 T-stat w/fan control, Eibach sportlines & BFG-KDW's on 17" SLP SS rims.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I don't know how they are in snow, but my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S's are awesome in the rain. Great grip, and I've never even come close to feeling like they've ever hydroplaned, even when hitting standing water at speed, which I think is really good for a 275 wide tire.

They've since updated the tire a bit, now the call them the A/S PLUS. Not sure what the dif is, I think they changed the tread compound a bit. A friend of mine has them on his G35 coupe, he loves them and had no problems this past winter.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

The summer tires and winter tires is a good suggestion. Except that she only drives the car about 2 0r 3 days while there is actually snow on the ground. So they are not cost effective.
    My Z gets parked if snow is on the radar and the Bravada comes out to play.
    I have Bridgestone Pole Positions on mine now and they aren't too bad in the snow (Made it 20 miles in a storm, but had slow going at each stop light). Previously I had Dayton Fuzion ZR1, terrible in snow, but awesome on dry pavement. My original Goodyears made it only 11K miles due to a sidewall defect and blowout.
    Thanks for the input so far.
    She said she would rather have Firestone tires if possible. Are there any suggestions on all-seasons from Firestone?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Forget the Firestones, they won't work in the snow.
    Has anyone used Goodyear Eagle GT-HR tires before? They look okay from what I could find out.
    I would appreciate some input on GT-HR tires.
    Thanks in advance.

White
    89 Trans Am

I did some research on Tirerack's website. The best all-season tire with a the speed rating you should have on a Z28 is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960.
    I did a comparison with the Bridgestone RE960, Michelin Pilot Sport, Goodyear Eagle GT-HR, and the BF Goodrich G Force Super Sport A/S.
    The Bridgestone was near the top end in price at 133/ea but clearly outranked the BFG in every category of the Customer Feedback. The RE960 also comes new with 11/32" tread depth while the others only come with 10/32" That should equate into a few more miles of treadwear in addition to better snow and rain traction.
    The Goodyear was at the bottom of the rankings and I wouldn't consider that as an option. If money's a big issue then go with the BFG as it's on special now.
    You didn't state if the Z28 has 16" or 17" wheels. I did the comparison based on the P245/50R16 size of the stock Z28.
    If you have 17's then the BFG is the only real choice since the RE960 isn't available in the P275/40R17
    Good luck with your tire purchase, I'd recommend Tirerack although there is a place Called Campbell Performance Tire that I've ordered from before and gotten some great deals from. I did a quick scan of their website and in 16's found some all season Firestone Firehawk Indy500's for a good price and in 17's nothing unless you want some wicked looking snow tires. They have some Goodyear Eagle M+S tires in the 275/40R17 which look like they will go thru anything!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by T/A Turbo 1989 View Post
    I did some research on Tirerack's website. The best all-season tire with a the speed rating you should have on a Z28 is the Bridgestone Potenza RE960.
    I did a comparison with the Bridgestone RE960, Michelin Pilot Sport, Goodyear Eagle GT-HR, and the BF Goodrich G Force Super Sport A/S.
    The Bridgestone was near the top end in price at 133/ea but clearly outranked the BFG in every category of the Customer Feedback. The RE960 also comes new with 11/32" tread depth while the others only come with 10/32" That should equate into a few more miles of treadwear in addition to better snow and rain traction.
    The Goodyear was at the bottom of the rankings and I wouldn't consider that as an option. If money's a big issue then go with the BFG as it's on special now.
    You didn't state if the Z28 has 16" or 17" wheels. I did the comparison based on the P245/50R16 size of the stock Z28.
    If you have 17's then the BFG is the only real choice since the RE960 isn't available in the P275/40R17
    Good luck with your tire purchase, I'd recommend Tirerack although there is a place Called Campbell Performance Tire that I've ordered from before and gotten some great deals from. I did a quick scan of their website and in 16's found some all season Firestone Firehawk Indy500's for a good price and in 17's nothing unless you want some wicked looking snow tires. They have some Goodyear Eagle M+S tires in the 275/40R17 which look like they will go thru anything!
    There are 16's on both cars. I have the Bridgestone RE960 on my car and they do great in the snow for a high-powered rear-drive car. No complaints from me there. I have been trying to convince my Mother that this is the best choice for her car too.
    Thanks for confirming what I had concluded. Hoefully now I can get some decent rubber on her car.
    Thanks for the tip on Tirerack, I have always bought my tires locally, but price sells.

Thread Information