Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 305's on 18's

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

305's on 18's

Im gonna get my wheels re-chromed, and while ive got the tires off, i wanted to get a grippier wider tire. My wheels are 18 x 10.5" zo6 replicas. I did a search and found a couple old threads, but a member on here recomended the 295's over 305's, but when i look up the tire on summit, it says the 305's fit on wheels anywhere between 10-12" wide. I was looking at nittos dr's cause ive heard theyre not the widest so i wont have to beat the crap out of my inner fender, and also since its not the best gripping, ill give my 10 bolt an extension on its life. Pics of either 295 or 305's on an 18 x10.5" would be appreciated and a better explanation of which would be better would also be great. Thanks

YMN

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Below is a picture of my 295s on my old 10.5 Z06 wheels. You can fit a 315 on a 10.5 wheel if you desire. You will have to clearance the inner fenderwell though. You are correct about the Nitto DRs not being as wide. You could go with a Nitto 305 or 315 and may not have to do any clearancing on the fenderwells.

CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Ah yes, then theres the KDW2's. I had almost forgotten about those. Thanks for chiming in Y2K, how do you like them? Hopefully some more peeps will post up pics of 305 or 315's on 18's. Im thinking 305 will be a nice compromise between 295 and 315, but i have yet to see any. But since the nittos arent as wide, maybe ill go with the 315's, i just dont like the look of the tire bulging out too much. Oh and i forgot to mention that im lowered on Strano springs.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by RAWPWR3 View Post
    Ah yes, then theres the KDW2's. I had almost forgotten about those. Thanks for chiming in Y2K, how do you like them? Hopefully some more peeps will post up pics of 305 or 315's on 18's. Im thinking 305 will be a nice compromise between 295 and 315, but i have yet to see any. But since the nittos arent as wide, maybe ill go with the 315's, i just dont like the look of the tire bulging out too much. Oh and i forgot to mention that im lowered on Strano springs.
    I love the KDW2s, great tire. If you go with 295s, I recommend them. I believe 295 is the biggest they make the 2 though.

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

I got 315 555 nittos om my TA on stock rims, don't count on them saving your 10 bolt. Blew mine up last year with the nittos. Fact is not just the drag strip is going to tear it up. Tore up my 10 bolt taking a sweeping highway ramp to fast and between the power and flexing of the rearend..............dumped gear lube all over the experssway after shooting a bolt through the cover. Lots of strange shit can happen. a 9" is a nice addition!!!!!

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I love the KDW2s, great tire. If you go with 295s, I recommend them. I believe 295 is the biggest they make the 2 though.
    Cool thanks, ive always heard good things about these tires. I just looked through tire rack and summit and youre right. They do have the BFG radial in a 295, i might just get the 275 KDW2's for the front.

Quote Originally Posted by anniversary30 View Post
    I got 315 555 nittos om my TA on stock rims, don't count on them saving your 10 bolt. Blew mine up last year with the nittos. Fact is not just the drag strip is going to tear it up. Tore up my 10 bolt taking a sweeping highway ramp to fast and between the power and flexing of the rearend..............dumped gear lube all over the experssway after shooting a bolt through the cover. Lots of strange shit can happen. a 9" is a nice addition!!!!!
    Dang that sucks, thanks for the heads up. These 10 bolts are sneeky, you never know when theyre gonna go. I got a rear end girdle cheap, and since mine is auto and low mileage, im thinking it should be okay for awhile. Ive only been to the track twice and i baby it on the street for the most part, so we'll see.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Cool thanks, ive always heard good things about these tires. I just looked through tire rack and summit and youre right. They do have the BFG radial in a 295, i might just get the 275 KDW2's for the front.

Thats exactly what I run, the 275s in front, 295s in the rear.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Ahh, great minds think alike.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Bump.

Nobody has pics of 305's on 18x10.5" wheels?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Bump.

Nobody has pics of 305's on 18x10.5" wheels?
    I have 305 Nittos on 10.5 Boyd Smoothie two's. I just dont know how to post a pic......

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Great, that would be perfect. Just make an account on photobucket (its free), and then upload the pic or pics to that site. Then once theyre in, scroll the pointer over the picture and a little box will come out under it. Highlight the image code, then right click on it and copy it. Then when you go to post in here, just click insert image and copy the image code into the little box that appears.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

Great, that would be perfect. Just make an account on photobucket (its free), and then upload the pic or pics to that site. Then once theyre in, scroll the pointer over the picture and a little box will come out under it. Highlight the image code, then right click on it and copy it. Then when you go to post in here, just click insert image and copy the image code into the little box that appears.

http://http://i559.photobucket.com/a...os/carpic3.jpg

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/s...os/carpic2.jpg

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/s...os/carpic1.jpg

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/s...os/carpic3.jpg

This is the best one I got for now....

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Glad to see you figured it out, that looks good man. Just a few more questions for ya. That is a 35 series tire right, it looks like quite a bit of sidewall for an 18. Almost looks like 40 series tires do on 17's. This tire has a diameter of 26" right, so you didnt have to adjust youre speedo and you have no problems with youre abs correct? Also, it appears you have stock suspension, did you notice if the tires raised the rear end up any? It appears to be higher out back than normal for stock susp. Thanks again

I've got some Mickey Thompson 305/35r18s on a 18x10. You will have ABS problems with these. They are advertised as 26.5" in diameter, but both these and the Nitto (same size) I had before were really 27" tires. If you're running a drag radial the additional sidewall and tire height will be to your advantage.

I don't have any pics of them at the moment, but I will be taking some over the weekend when I finish replacing the wheel studs.

If you're looking for traction, go with either the BFG 295s or the MT 305s. Honestly I don't even consider the Nittos drag radials. They didn't hook any better than the regular 555s I had before.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post
    I've got some Mickey Thompson 305/35r18s on a 18x10. You will have ABS problems with these. They are advertised as 26.5" in diameter, but both these and the Nitto (same size) I had before were really 27" tires. If you're running a drag radial the additional sidewall and tire height will be to your advantage.

I don't have any pics of them at the moment, but I will be taking some over the weekend when I finish replacing the wheel studs.

If you're looking for traction, go with either the BFG 295s or the MT 305s. Honestly I don't even consider the Nittos drag radials. They didn't hook any better than the regular 555s I had before.
    What do you mean by ABS problems??

Are you referring to the rear tires being larger in diameter than the front??

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

Quote Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28 View Post

Thanks, that was my main concern. What did you have to do to resolve that problem? I realize that the nittos arent as sticky as say; the micky's, but i chose them for that reason. Im doing this mainly for asthetics, seeing as i cant stand my stretched 275 summitomos any longer. Although i will be enjoying the added benefit of a slightly grippier tire. And since they arent as soft, the sidewalls should be a little stiffer and provide similar handling characteristics as a street tire, also i think they'll last a little longer too. Not to mention i dont want my rear end to pop right away! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

Yes, thats what im worried about.
    Last edited by RAWPWR3; 04-16-2009 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

The ABS calibration does not like the measured wheel speed differential due to the different diameter tires. The ABS will prematurely kick in on anything resembling hard braking, and make stopping very difficult. If I drive it at a constant speed in the 55-65mph range for more than a minute or so, the ABS senses a problem, illuminates the ABS light, red brake light, and TCS light and disables itself restoring normal braking.

There are only 2 ways of fixing this. Either completely remove the ABS system, or install a comparable diameter tire up front.

The MTs are MUCH softer, and don't last as long. They'll also feather up after repeated cold tire abuse. And unless you've got a strong manual trans car, I wouldn't worry too much about that rear. I've seen numerous 1.5x and a couple of 1.4x 60' times on my 10 bolt, and it get punished on the street too.

Finally, those Nitto 305s will look narrow even on a 10.5" wheel. They'll look about the same as a 285/40r17 does on stock 17x9 wheels.
    Last edited by Marc 85Z28; 04-16-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS-6 M6

so basically i have to run the same diameter tire in front and rear to avoid abs problems?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Smokaholik View Post
    so basically i have to run the same diameter tire in front and rear to avoid abs problems?
    Correct. If the diameters aren't within a couple tenths of an inch of each other, the ABS will not like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information