Thread: 285/40/17s???

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

285/40/17s???

anyone running this size or has run this size before on 17x9.5 inch wheels? any rubbing? does it fit well and look good on a 9.5 inch wheel? im assuming it will be lil diff from 275s as its only 10mm wider but it dosnt hurt to post on here and ask ppl with experience..found a good deal in that size and was thinking of going wiht it on all 4 corners..thanks

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I'm running P285/40/ZR17s on my stock SS wheels right now...just put them on about a month ago. No rubbing whatsoever. Looks good and rides well. Slightly more difficult to put on the wheels, but they fit.

Black
    2005 GTO

285/40/ZR17s is the next size tire I plan on running on my 17x9.5's. I have 275's now but just want alittle more and still be safe. When I asked about them at discount tire the guy looked at me funny and said 275's the biggest that fits all the way around. I said no sir I'm sure a 285 will fit since there's people out there running 315's all the way around.

pewter

yeah no kidding...i only asked because discounttiredirect HAAAAAAAAAD KDW on sale for 137 a piece in that size with there free shipping..sick deal......must of been a misprint cuz there back up to around 180 now like the 275's ......i was to slow..should of picked them up...o well

black
    '99 T/A

o hell yes, i just put 285/40/17 on mine and they are noticablly fatter than the 275s im 100% youd rather have at least the 285 on the backs

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

if you have stock wheels... they are not 9.5" wide, but 9".
    there is no gain going to 285... changes are the tire is starting to buldge.
    note that a 275/40-17 is to be mounte on a 9-11" wide rim, while best mounted on a 9.5"
    just making the tire taller for no advantage.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

pewter

my wheeels arnt stock....there fikse 17x9.5....i only asked cuz there was a killer deal on kdws on discounttiredirect.....the price was 137 a tire free shipping......yes dirt cheap for those tires.......within a few days it went back up to 180somthign......275s are 270somthing i belive.......275 is my first choice as far as size goes ...285 isnt much diff though and seeing the deal was good i was thinking about it

KDWs are Kumhos right? Hmm, I am not a fan of their tires.

Plus I am pretty sure the width also depends on the brands. Some 245s look as wide as 285s.

I have 285/40/17s on Borbet Type Ts. Nitto 555s.

pewter

kdw's are bf goodrich......they come in 3 styles KD which are an extreme dry tire/ KDW which is a great dry/wet tire and has a real nice looking tred pattern/ and KDWS which is an all season version ..nothing exciting there

black
    '99 T/A

jegs has bfg tires cheap, thats where i got my KDW & KDWS from, in 2 days nonetheless..

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    kdw's are bf goodrich......they come in 3 styles KD which are an extreme dry tire/ KDW which is a great dry/wet tire and has a real nice looking tred pattern/ and KDWS which is an all season version ..nothing exciting there
    i think you got your KDW &KDWS's mixed up

pewter

um no i dont think i do.. KD stands for DRY ......KDW stands for DRY and WET....KDWS stands for DRY WET AND SNOW

pewter

black
    '99 T/A

yup, your right, i misread you.

pewter

no prob......how did u like your kdw's?? ive never owned them and have only heard " hear say" good things about them ....and how do u like them compared to ?? what else have u had on your car....ive previously had bridgestone potenza re730s......decent tire, kumho ectca mxm max perf tires......they were alright..about as much grip as the 730s but louder/ and not as good in the rain....and i currently have mich pilots that are dry rotted from the pervious senior citizin owner....there nice for being so dam hard from being 6 yrs old.....stick great when heated...there like driving on ice when cold though....... im looking at either nitto drs out back and somthing else up front/ or the new max perf falkens at all 4 corners next ...there cheap and got fantastic ratings..158 a tire and ppl claim them to be stickier than KD's

black
    '99 T/A

i used to run the BFG ZR tires, i think they eventually became the kdw series gforce. the tread is the same, i loved them then and thats why i went with the kdw.

i love kdw and kdws, they both smoke quick and bite asphalt hard. i actually think the kdws tires are better for drag radials than the kdw , i swear i get less wheel spin from them than the kdws than kdw.

but i dont recall hydroplaning on either tire. so both are good wet tires for 285 width. espcially if you run 285 or bigger on the front.

ive had all sorts of cheap tires on my car too, and they all sucked. ive got pilots on my 850R volvo and they are great, quiet, tires, but i think when it comes to ls1's youll need something with more rubber and less groove bullshit.

i dont know about the new falkans, but i think the KDW are perfect. and trust me, i push my tires, hard. ive never had a KDW seperate or blow or anything like that. in fact ive run them untill metal was showing and then some, with no problems.

i could have gotten any tire i wanted, i went with kdw 285/40/17's all around. i cant begin to explain the difference it makes.

jegs.com has kdw in that size for $182, the 275's are $165. but the 285 kdws are only $150

pewter

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    Ah gotcha. In that case, yeah then it was a good deal. BFGoodrich tires are one of the best.

How the fuck did I not know this...I just bought 2 KDWs for my front wheels.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Ah gotcha. In that case, yeah then it was a good deal. BFGoodrich tires are one of the best.

How the fuck did I not know this...I just bought 2 KDWs for my front wheels.
    each company have their good and bad tires.
    Same thing can be said about Kuhmo as mentionned above... there are tires that are so garbage it's not funny, yet there are other ones that are the leaders in many aspects.

Thread Information