Thread: 17's or 18's?

f-body

17's or 18's?

Not sure what size i want to go with yet, deffinitly want to have a new set with drag radials by spring, does it make a difference on launching off the line, witch size would be better?

madhouse
    17's

Why not 17's and 18's. My father just did 18s in the rear and 17s in the front with AR rebels and it looks sweet. Makes me wanna go 19r/18f.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

The smaller the rim the more traction you'll have off the line, the larger the rim the better grab on the road for handling. It's all about tire flex. The smaller the rim the more tire sidewall, and when you rip it the tire squats and actually has a wider track on the road. On a larger wheels you have less sidewall which reduces flex and they are significantly stiffer when cornering and you have less body roll.

f-body

i see, i see!

Black
    97 Formula

If you're going to get drag radials, I would stick with the factory 16" wheels. Then just get street tires for the 17's or 18's.

red
    98 camaro z28 m6

im going w/ 17" by 9.5" on all fours here in the spring

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    The smaller the rim the more traction you'll have off the line, the larger the rim the better grab on the road for handling. It's all about tire flex. The smaller the rim the more tire sidewall, and when you rip it the tire squats and actually has a wider track on the road. On a larger wheels you have less sidewall which reduces flex and they are significantly stiffer when cornering and you have less body roll.

almost correct. given the same overall tire diameter, the smaller rim will net you more sidewall.

275/40-17 = 25.7" tall
    275/40-18 = 26.6" tall

both have the same sidewall height because of the same 1" increase in overall tire diameter that went with the 1" taller wheel.

275/40-17 25.7" tall
    275/35-18 25.6" tall

the 18" will have a shorter sidewall because the overall diameter is the same.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

maroonZ

Thumbs up 17" for sure!

Got mine on order should arrive in the next day or so.

17 x 9's with goodyear F1 GS D3's

Thread Information