I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

Whistler Mod - long term durability?

Ok, I've been wanting to do this mod myself, but always wondered how durable (or not) it can be... For example; has anyone tried to "cheap-out" and use cheap paint, silicone, etc? I would imagine the headlight housing can get pretty warm on the inside? Any horror stories? Any input is appreciated, Thanks, Dave.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Desktop\sig01.jpg

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i did my whistler mod a good 3 years ago...still looks just as good as the day i did it. its all in the prep work you do. id imagine if you do a shitty job at sanding the chrome off for a good paint adhersion itll look like crap down the road. i just used a 1200 grit wet dry sand paper and sanded the chrome until i had the gray plastic showing everywhere i wanted to paint. used painters tape for the back mask and went to town with the good ole .97 cent can of krylon black gloss...and ued just a normal silicone clear caulk and ran a bead around the case and clamped togehter. not a leak or nothing

Onyx Black

Thanks for the input Steve!, I've had a spare set of new headlamp assemblies for quite a while now. I may as well give it a try. Just need to make some time and TAKE my TIME! I've done bodywork/prep. before, so I guess it can't be too different right? I'll start gathering supplies soon... any other input with personal long term experiences out there...? Thanks again ppl!

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

i have no body/prep work...but am pretty good with a spray can. haha...i just took my time saning for the prep. i reccomend taking a heat gun or a damn good hair dryer to the outer seals though. heat up the silicon around the edge of the lense to make it come apart easier. that was probably the hardest part for me was getting them apart. then just peeled the rest of the silicone off when apart. sand and pay close attention to the ridges in there. youll know when you get to sanding. i put a good 3 thick coats on and let dry then put together

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by davebowtie View Post
    Thanks for the input Steve!, I've had a spare set of new headlamp assemblies for quite a while now. I may as well give it a try. Just need to make some time and TAKE my TIME! I've done bodywork/prep. before, so I guess it can't be too different right? I'll start gathering supplies soon... any other input with personal long term experiences out there...? Thanks again ppl!
    Same situation as me. I acquired a second set to play with. I need new lenses for them, the originals were beyond repairable. Be extremely gentle after baking them to loosen the adhesive. They are very very brittle after baking. Scuff them up inside real well so the paint will adhere and they should turn out fine.

Also, paint the back housing black(or whatever color your desire). It makes them look so much better afterwards.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

hard to see them as the lenses were fogged when i took this pic (sand blast fog)

then probably one of the better shots after i did a plastic restore on the lenses

Onyx Black

Thnx for posting the pics... my lenses have the "sandblast fog" rite now too. I figure i'll eventuall polish those out too...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Mine turned out ok. Painted them with regular rustoleum black, thhen went over with high temp clear coat. Looked better without the clear but holding up great. Would suggest to use high temp engine paint in about 2 to 3 coats. They should come out looking good and lasting longer than the headlight itself.

Heres what mine looks like

Onyx Black

Nice pics tatertot91, I think that my WORST fear is that the color (black) will fade over time and eventually turn into a grey color... I'd be so bummed if they faded in like two or three years... Maybe i'll use auto paint or UV safe paint, I've gotten a better grasp of this now (confidence), Thanks for the input fellas...

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by davebowtie View Post
    Nice pics tatertot91, I think that my WORST fear is that the color (black) will fade over time and eventually turn into a grey color... I'd be so bummed if they faded in like two or three years... Maybe i'll use auto paint or UV safe paint, I've gotten a better grasp of this now (confidence), Thanks for the input fellas...
    I would be more concerned over moisture because of an improper seal, or the fact that the lens might get real foggy before the paint got all messed up. Good luck and take your time when you do it.

Thread Information