Black
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Whats up with my tail lights?

Howcome one is much darker than the other?

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

Water is leaking inside. The only fix is to get a new light.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Just get them blacked out... Then you wont notice a difference.

99FRC,00TA,98Formula
    91Firebird,88FieroGT

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    but the one that is damaged will still light up much less than the other.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SStriker View Post
    it only works when the lights are turned off. i have the same problem with blackouts and trust me you can notice the difference.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Has anyone accually tried pulling these tails appart? I mean people do it with headlights all the time...

both for sale!
    2006 GTO,2001 WS6

my 2001 ws6 has my left tail light darker than my right one and there is no water in them?

Pewter
    1999-TransAm LSX

My driver side tail light has same problem,I took it off of the car and noticed a crack in the inside top part of the light.Condensation builds up and I believe that it gets moldy inside and thats why it is darker than the other light. I am going to try to clean it out and dry it and caulk the crack, how it got there I have no idea.

Sliver
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Wow! I have just discovered the same problem with mine. Saw the condensation in the drivers last month then noticed that it's darker than the pass. side light. I have also noticed it on a few other cars in town, not surprising since we got hit with excess rain this season. If you get yours apart and cleaned out let me know how it works out and some instructions on how to go about it.
    Last edited by Manicmechanic; 09-25-2007 at 02:18 AM.

Pewter
    1999-TransAm LSX

Well as fare as I can tell the light is one piece. I plan to put take the light off and put some cleaner in it and use a wire brush that I have for my fish tank, dry it and caulk it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Actually, when I had my '98 Formula, it had the same problem except it was even in the reverse light too, and from what I could tell, it wasn't mold or anything like dirt. the water actually just made the silver coating on the inside come off and reveal the black underneath. So I'm not sure if you would have to find some silver paint and do a paint job if you take them apart instead of planning on cleaning them. I could be wrong but it was a little easier to see through the reverse light. Hope this might help some.

Sliver
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

I have a 06 Daytona Charger that I put Halo rings around the headlights, you had to bake them in the oven @ 200* for 20 minutes to separate the lens from the body. Without seeing the taillight assembly out of the car yet, maybe this is what has to be done here to get them apart. I can't believe that they were made in one piece.

Pewter
    1999-TransAm LSX

Yah, I don't think that I want to put it in the oven. It is in the reverse light also and yes some of the silver has come off but I don't think that there is any silver inside of the other part of the assembly, That's why I'm thinking mold.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Well I don't know for 100% but I was just guessin that they used the silver as reflection to get the most light going out the taillight assembly. I could be wrong though. Best of luck and keep us informed of what you find out for certain, although as of yet, my WS6 doesn't have this problem.

Pewter
    1999-TransAm LSX

OK, here is the conclusion to this problem. It is ruined! The silver reflectant is in the whole inside of the back of the assembly and the black that is on it is not mold "like I had hoped" and is not that the silver paint had come off, but it has simply turned black thus making it darker. The crack is not at the top as I had thought but in the end that faces the quarter panel. So this sucks!!!!!!! I caulked it to keep from getting worse. If you notice some condensation in you're light, do this wright away to keep from getting any worse and I've noticed a lot like this out there. Hope that this helps.

Sliver
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

Well, after I purchased a replacement taillight I tried to get my damaged one apart. I baked in the oven @ 220* for about 10 min. and started to work on getting it apart. It showed some promise on coming apart till it cooled off a little so I stuck it back in the oven (still on from first heat up) for another 10 mins. I finally got it to come apart after 3 attempts (work it reheat it and work it...) to get it done. The sealant they use to set it with is of the permanent type and heating will loosen it but it is not like todays sealers that will loosen with heat to allow you to get it apart and reseal it back by just heating in the oven. Once apart I don't know what you could do the get the inside back to a reflective state as the reflective Silver has basically disappeared, leaving a wrinkled black texture in it's place. Used or New replacement unit is about all you can do to fix this. I got mine off Ebay for $75. as the sellers header didn't have enough info in it for a general search to return a result on it, I came across it accidentally and I was the only bidder on it for a week, while other auctions went as high as $150. Don't only search for FB or T/A but Pontiac as well and you might find a lost nugget as well.

Thread Information