Black
    99 SS

typical cost of paint job?

hey just want to get a feel of what a deacent paint job would run me, i have been looking local here getting estimates and to be honest there all over the place on pricing.

here is what i want done, the car is a 99 ss vert, its black, i want to keep it black, so im not getting the door jambs paintd or under the trunk thats fine, im going to replace the front bumper and a few flex dimples need to be pulled out but other then that i want to keep the car black.

so what should i expect?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

The best quote I got for my 98 T/A was $2500 for factory color (NBM) and 4 coats clear. If I wanted a whole new color (I asked about Black) he said it would be between $3200 and $3800. Depended on how much detail I wanted done. And if I wanted more custom work it went up....

Shop around, go see their work, asked all the questions, get referals ..

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    hey just want to get a feel of what a deacent paint job would run me, i have been looking local here getting estimates and to be honest there all over the place on pricing.

here is what i want done, the car is a 99 ss vert, its black, i want to keep it black, so im not getting the door jambs paintd or under the trunk thats fine, im going to replace the front bumper and a few flex dimples need to be pulled out but other then that i want to keep the car black.

so what should i expect?
    $8500...for a 3rd gen

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    $8500...for a 3rd gen

oh snap for the rich guy

In need of another LS1 00blacktransam112's Avatar

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

my car is black now. i wanted to paint it pewter metallic with black wheels. they said it would cost me between 4000-5000 to do the whole car including jams and engine bay. i decided id rather save a little more $$$ and get an H/C/I set up. good luck
    00 Trans Am:LS1-M6-SLP loudmouth 1-Lid-Bellows-CAI kit-85mm MAF-B&M ripper shifter-Torque Arm-LCA-Panhard Bar-STB-EGR AIR delete

This winter: Torquer V.2-LS6 intake-LT's-Monster clutch-Custom y-pipe-and a really good tune

Black
    99 SS

i was quoted yesterday by a very good shop 1,500 but im not doing the jams or trunk or underhood.

and your switching colors wich is where the major costs come into play

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    i was quoted yesterday by a very good shop 1,500 but im not doing the jams or trunk or underhood.

and your switching colors wich is where the major costs come into play
    thats cheap, especially for a 'good shop'. Materials alone on this should cost around 1000 if theyre using QUALITY paint and clear.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    thats cheap, especially for a 'good shop'. Materials alone on this should cost around 1000 if theyre using QUALITY paint and clear.

i wouldnt say that much i used to buy paint and paint supplies every day, id say more in the range of 500-700 for supplies.

Vapor Mist Charcoal Grey
    1969 Chevelle

I would say $1500 is a steal! If you go with a good paint(Utech, HoK, PPG) you will have about 600-800 in materials. If they are just doing a scuff and shoot, 1500 isnt too bad, good for you! Make sure to look at their work, and make sure they are insured. I have saw some shabby jobs at supposedly "professional" paint shops. Also see if they are going to wet sand and buff it...

Black
    99 SS

yup, been in the community for 20+ years man, the more i think about it id say around the 2k price rang is about right for keeping the same color.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ive had personal experience twice with painting the entire car and for a decent paint job it would cost you between 2-2.5k, now one warning is after you get the car back you will most likely after a couple of weeks have chips all over your front bumper and hood, since they dont do a good job prepping and painting those and since its the first place that a rock hits it will show up immediatly. Want to stress to them to make sure that the paint doesnt do that but they all say the same thing, its a low car and nothing is like factory paint. Either way GL with it and let us know how it turns out by some pics if you decide to do it.

Thread Information