'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up Tail Light, Head Light Lens Cleanup, Body Work Questions

Need advice or where to look for---

(A) Cleaning up the Taillights, Headlights, the Black Headlight Surrounds, and the Center Filler Panel on the car. They are all in great shape, and need to get the minor/fine scratches out of them.

(B) We did all the body work on our '69 El Camino, everything, as I can do this as good as a pro, including the block sanding. We started with etching primers (Body was bead blasted), a basic primer, and finished the priming process on the car by using Epoxy Primer (2 different heavy coats, 2 weeks apart, block sanding in between), and when we sold the car, it still didn't have any imperfections in it. Yes, it's harder to work with the sanding processes with this primer, but it sure paid off in the end.

***Because we are dealing with both metal(s) and plastic(s) on the '99 Firebird, will the Epoxy Primer(s) still work on this car, or do we have to go to something different?

*** Front Fascia/Bumper is 'Flexible', so what's the process to keep the new final painting from cracking?

***Our part time painting pro here in our area will spray the car Red (It's Red now), as I have never worked with the new paints, but he is not up to date on the priming processes, so you can see why we are asking these questions.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Richard (aka MAXX) and Judy

Last edited by MAXX2; 12-09-2010 at 02:50 PM.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

(A) Headlights are glass (sealed beam units) and can be cleaned up with 0000 Steel Wool. As for the black plastic shroud around them, I simply cleaned up with soapy water, waxed and reinstalled them.

Taillights, if they aren't bad, can be wetsanded with 2000 grit sandpaper and then polished. If you don't want to wetsand, then simply do a few passes with a polish to remove light scratches/swirlmarks.

Filler panel - use the method above. When I did mine, I wetsanded the lettering and emblem off, then polished it back up.

(B) Someone else will have to chime in with info

'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    (A) Headlights are glass (sealed beam units) and can be cleaned up with 0000 Steel Wool. As for the black plastic shroud around them, I simply cleaned up with soapy water, waxed and reinstalled them.

Taillights, if they aren't bad, can be wetsanded with 2000 grit sandpaper and then polished. If you don't want to wetsand, then simply do a few passes with a polish to remove light scratches/swirlmarks.

Filler panel - use the method above. When I did mine, I wetsanded the lettering and emblem off, then polished it back up.

Hey, thanks for the info, and we'll give it a try. They are all in great shape, so this should be fairly simple.

MAXX and Judy

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post

I agree. Thats what I had to do with the jeeps headlights.

I would try the plastic polish before you wetsand, to see if you can achieve the look your looking for.

Keep in mind, once you wet sand it, it will become alittle hazy until you polish it. It will also go back to being hazy after he polish wears off so you have to keep up the polish more often.
    Last edited by KMdef9; 12-15-2010 at 08:17 AM.

Thread Information