2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

T-top/ Targa Conversion

Ive seen a few posts on here, and on camaroz28.com about converting a hard-top to a t-top, sounds scary, but after looknig at several write ups, it seems like its not too bad.

Someone one here mentioned a Targa top, that might be difficult because it woudl reuire removing the center bar, but yeah, im considering donig one of the two, probably next spring, when it gets hot again, so any information or suggestions would be appreciated.

95 Camaro 3.8

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

imo don't do it. No-one likes a hacked up car. I bought a charger that someone put a 70's style sunroof and it looked horible and I hard time selling it. If you want a t-top or vert sell and buy yourself one.

white/Viper blue
    01 WS6

The t-tops are sold as a kit. You just have to remove the factory roof shell and replace it with the t-top type with the latch center bars.

Quote Originally Posted by BURNEM View Post
    The t-tops are sold as a kit. You just have to remove the factory roof shell and replace it with the t-top type with the latch center bars.
    For real?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

yea they sell ttop kits, but i just figured if u didnt go with the kit it'd be easier going from a reg roof to a targa top, due to not having to have 2 separate pieces and having to make the bar in the middle

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    yea they sell ttop kits, but i just figured if u didnt go with the kit it'd be easier going from a reg roof to a targa top, due to not having to have 2 separate pieces and having to make the bar in the middle
    But i dont really know how a targa works, a buddy of mines viper was that way, and he didn have the roof piece, so he could only drive it on really good days, and the weather is very unpredictable around here, but yeah, itd be badass to have a targa.

If i do it, ill do it with our body shop guy, i once saw him take a car that rear ended someone, and one that had been rear ended, and literally cut them have and put the two good halves together.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

I have personally done three hard top to t top conversions. Its not that bad to do at all. As long as you have the right tools, parts, and patience. By the way, after its all doen right, you can get them 100% leak proof, even factory ones cant say that. If you want, I can try to write you up a instruction sheet modified from the one I originally used.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98formy View Post
    I have personally done three hard top to t top conversions. Its not that bad to do at all. As long as you have the right tools, parts, and patience. By the way, after its all doen right, you can get them 100% leak proof, even factory ones cant say that. If you want, I can try to write you up a instruction sheet modified from the one I originally used.
    do the write up!!! that would be awesome! how much does it cost roughly? not that it matters, cuz its worth it no matter what.
    also, in ur opinion do u think a targa top would be a good idea? i would think itd be theoretically easier...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    do the write up!!! that would be awesome! how much does it cost roughly? not that it matters, cuz its worth it no matter what.
    also, in ur opinion do u think a targa top would be a good idea? i would think itd be theoretically easier...
    Over at camaroz28.com, there are a few write-ups, but here is a really good one

http://members.fortunecity.com/gripe...onversion.html

Most people say parts cost between 300 and 400, i dont know if this is just buying parts, or a kit, ive heard of kits, but i cant find them. and ive heard some people say 600-700 over all, i guess thats labor costs for a buddy? i dont know, but either way, not too bad. And everyone has said it wasnt very hard.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Thats the write up I originally used, but it does not cover how to modify the front part by the windshield very well or the test fitting. I will in the next few days try to do a addendum to grips write up that covers that. The cost is about right, I spent 400,then 600, then 300 just depends on your luck at ebay and the junk yard. As far as a targa top, I dont really know much about those.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

If i could get some knid of parts list, that'd be awesome, ive never even seen a T-top, so i dont know anything about the parts needed.

Silver
    2002 Z28

I hate to say this man, but with your car being a 95 3.8L, it's really not worth the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing your car or anything, but there's not much you can lose by just trading your car in on what you want. I've seen quite a few conversions, and many have looked great, but never, ever looked factory. Just my .02
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

depending on mileage and condition u could get a couple grand for that camaro, and a decent lt1 camaro would go for only a thousand or 2 more. just fyi... im assumin ur cars in pretty good cond. if u wanna do something such as a ttop conversion

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

yeah, some guy bought it for like his 75th birthday, put 78k on it in 11 years, died, daughter inherited it, put 1k on it in 18 months, then i bought it for $4000. it got some hail damage in 97 i think, and got totally repainted, then rearended sometime, and re-painted again. the only cosmetic "damage" is that theres some shotty bondo work on the fenders, it looks like it cracked underneath the paint, which sunk in. it almost looks like my car has scales in one spot, but its hard to notice.

after doing some consideration, im going to look into getting a 00-02 Z28, less than 100k miles, preferably standard, those are my only conditions, any color or interior should be fine, how much should i expect to pay, i wanna stay under 10K

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    yeah, some guy bought it for like his 75th birthday, put 78k on it in 11 years, died, daughter inherited it, put 1k on it in 18 months, then i bought it for $4000. it got some hail damage in 97 i think, and got totally repainted, then rearended sometime, and re-painted again. the only cosmetic "damage" is that theres some shotty bondo work on the fenders, it looks like it cracked underneath the paint, which sunk in. it almost looks like my car has scales in one spot, but its hard to notice.

after doing some consideration, im going to look into getting a 00-02 Z28, less than 100k miles, preferably standard, those are my only conditions, any color or interior should be fine, how much should i expect to pay, i wanna stay under 10K
    u can definitely stay under $10k. let me just show u a couple links on this site... brb

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Silver
    2002 Z28

Agreed. You can hit the 8k mark easy, and Texas should be full of f-bods. Check the vehicle sale section on here and perhaps... dare I suggest... maybe that other ls1 site? I know they've got quite a Texan following...

Thread Information