Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunvisor delete

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Sunvisor delete

So I worked on deleting my sunvisors and I refused to pay $30 for something I could make or fix to look nice with around $10

Started out with these

Then I made a little plastic circle that I could put under the bondo so it wouldn't just fall through, I just made it outta some thick plastic material and added some bondo and then I sanded it down and more bondo and more sanding and more bondo and a little more sanding and I was finally satisfied with the results

Onto paint!

And installed!

I was real happy with the way they turned out

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^^Hey they look cool! Good job...My sun visor the material part of it got bent up one day and i ended up tearing it off! Now all i have is the holder you show and a bar were the visor used to be !! Man i miss it,,the sun really hits my eyes!!!

Navy Blue
    Chevrolet Camaro SS

Looks great

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    ^^Hey they look cool! Good job...My sun visor the material part of it got bent up one day and i ended up tearing it off! Now all i have is the holder you show and a bar were the visor used to be !! Man i miss it,,the sun really hits my eyes!!!
    Other then a wrecker who knows of a good/cheap place to get me a driver side visor(black)

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    So I worked on deleting my sunvisors and I refused to pay $30 for something I could make or fix to look nice with around $10

Started out with these
    Click for full size

Then I made a little plastic circle that I could put under the bondo so it wouldn't just fall through, I just made it outta some thick plastic material and added some bondo and then I sanded it down and more bondo and more sanding and more bondo and a little more sanding and I was finally satisfied with the results

Click for full size

Onto paint!

Click for full size
    Click for full size

And installed!

Click for full size

I was real happy with the way they turned out
    Why remove the sunvisors,,,,is this a full blown race car?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes.... Jk no its not, the sunvisor ends were hanging loose on both of them so I just got rid of them. I hardly used them anyways, sunglasses get the job done for me.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Where did you get the plastic to insert into them? I am thinking about doing the same.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Where did you get the plastic to insert into them? I am thinking about doing the same.
    I just cut it out of the packaging that things come in when you buy them new

Red
    Ctsv

This is on my to do list

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    Yes.... Jk no its not, the sunvisor ends were hanging loose on both of them so I just got rid of them. I hardly used them anyways, sunglasses get the job done for me.
    There is an easy fix for the sides hanging loose. Mine did the same thing. I used a very thin sheet of plastic (hobby lobby) and cut a small piece to shape that would fit into the end of the visor and slide in past the part that bends about 2-3 inches. It's still flexible but holds it nice and flat.
    Then I had my wife carefully cut open the stitching, slide that piece in and sew it back up. Can't even tell and works like new

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Put them on the market and see how they sell.

I don't have a stash of them to sell, I only fixed what was in our car. I'm sure I could however talk my wife into fixing another pair for somone if they really wanted to go through the trouble.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

There is an easy fix for the sides hanging loose. Mine did the same thing. I used a very thin sheet of plastic (hobby lobby) and cut a small piece to shape that would fit into the end of the visor and slide in past the part that bends about 2-3 inches. It's still flexible but holds it nice and flat.
    Then I had my wife carefully cut open the stitching, slide that piece in and sew it back up. Can't even tell and works like new
    When you say hanging loose Do you mean the material to the right of the metal pointed part that the visor hangs onto?...cause thats were mine got''broken''( i pulled it off after it kept hitting me in the head !) off at. When new it was good..but after a few years it sagged just after the metal bar..i take it thats what you and your wife did? you guys made an insert that was like a crutch right?..If so thats a smart idea cause these things needed more support from the get go...Thanks GM quality control!!

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I applaud silverws6 for his ingenuity...but have to agree with Firebirdjones on this one At least for ME i want my sunvisor..here in sunny California,,well....its sunny and it blocks out the glare and yes you can wear your shades too ! but it also cuts the sun when its on your side window i dunno prefrence i guess.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Real race cars don't need sunvisors, too much weight!

I need to fix mine also. Funny, my '68 Le Mans still has the OE sunvisors, and no problems. All my '60s cars in the past had no issue with their visors either, and I would laugh at the new cars visors and how flimsy they would be after 5 years. Now the joke's on me.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    When you say hanging loose Do you mean the material to the right of the metal pointed part that the visor hangs onto?...cause thats were mine got''broken''( i pulled it off after it kept hitting me in the head !) off at. When new it was good..but after a few years it sagged just after the metal bar..i take it thats what you and your wife did? you guys made an insert that was like a crutch right?..If so thats a smart idea cause these things needed more support from the get go...Thanks GM quality control!!
    Yup

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Ahhhhhrrrrgggghhhh! I can't see! Crunch,,,bang,, boom, thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump

Nice work though..

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Real race cars don't need sunvisors, too much weight!

I need to fix mine also. Funny, my '68 Le Mans still has the OE sunvisors, and no problems. All my '60s cars in the past had no issue with their visors either, and I would laugh at the new cars visors and how flimsy they would be after 5 years. Now the joke's on me.
    I agree with you about the sunvisors on these modern cars! whats the deal ,,I too have never had any issues with my other cars of the past? These things suck!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

The bean counters got ahold of the sunvisor department, and said you are making them too well. Forgot to mention my old Le Mans is a convertible, so those visors have seen a lot of sun in their life.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Yeah i know one thing for sure that should have been a recall on our cars the f-ing window motors!! Ive seen the posts and sticky`s for them and have personally talked to and have seen other f- body owners and the majority of their windows took a dump too! They got sold a bunch of crapola and put them in our cars !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information