Thread: Sun Visors

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Sun Visors

Ok this might seem silly, BUT does anyone know where to find replacement sun visors BESIDES the scrap yard? Mine like to flop all over the place causing my CD's to turn into ninja stars. It's beyond irritating. Esp when I brake and it ends up hitting me in the head....

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

ebay. Mine were doing the same thing. I just bought replacement brackets off ebay and all is well.

99white/ 78 blk&gold
    1999 30thTrans Am&78 T/A

lol i was doing a burnout and the passenger side fell down. i was like the he** ......... good thing is i didnt let me foot off of the gas though.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

I'm actually thinking about smoothing out my headliner and removing the sunvisors all together. I'm 6'4" and sunvisors do nothing but get in my line of sight.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

well you cant go the expensive route.. get an ipod hook up and get an ipod... (sorry lol)

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    ebay. Mine were doing the same thing. I just bought replacement brackets off ebay and all is well.
    uhm wow! I checked out Ebay (great idea, thanks!) and some bids are up to $150!!! How much did you manage to nab yours for because there's no way i'm paying $100 for sun visors!!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CrossJaded View Post
    uhm wow! I checked out Ebay (great idea, thanks!) and some bids are up to $150!!! How much did you manage to nab yours for because there's no way i'm paying $100 for sun visors!!
    I paid under $20 for the brackets. It's the bracket that lets your visor slip. I don't think you need new visors. Unless of course there is some cosmetic reason for a new set.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I paid under $20 for the brackets. It's the bracket that lets your visor slip. I don't think you need new visors. Unless of course there is some cosmetic reason for a new set.
    Well, they're broken. At least the drivers side one is. I've been debating whether or not they are fixable or not & if I should paint them or not, since I'm planning on re-doing my entire interior...What do you think?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well, they're broken. At least the drivers side one is. I've been debating whether or not they are fixable or not & if I should paint them or not, since I'm planning on re-doing my entire interior...What do you think?
    They're not leather or vinyl, so I wouldn't paint them. I guess you could dye them or recover them.

Is the visor itself physically broken? or does it just slip? Mine was falling into my lap all the time and a new bracket fixed that issue. A new bracket would fix a slipping issue as well.

Post a picture of the visor.

Red
    2000 Trans Am

It's physically broken & it slips around. I don't have any pictures ATM, but I'll take one tomorrow.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

I ripped them out, never looked back.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I'm thinking about removing mine...they're the grey ebony/charcoal...shoot me an offer in a PM...might be the motivation I need to get rid of them once and for all.

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Keep in mind that the brackets help to support the headliner in the front corners (taking some of the weight off the bend under the a-pillar cover.) You may want to make plates to fit over where the holes will be.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

He you thought about fixing your existing visor? It would be cheaper in the end... They are very simple and its just a thin cardboard material with the bracket. Its been a while since I've done one but I think the tension could be tightened up with a little work

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6 View Post
    He you thought about fixing your existing visor? It would be cheaper in the end... They are very simple and its just a thin cardboard material with the bracket. Its been a while since I've done one but I think the tension could be tightened up with a little work
    So I'm being inspired to fix the visors I have & just replacing the brackets. How would I go about fixing the visor itself (and what materials do I need)? My goal is to fix it & then cover it up so it's not the tan colour. I don't think it would take too much to do that & I could probably manage to even do some contrast stitching around the mirror so it has a finished look...whattya think?

Red
    2001 Trans Am

So I'm being inspired to fix the visors I have & just replacing the brackets. How would I go about fixing the visor itself (and what materials do I need)? My goal is to fix it & then cover it up so it's not the tan colour. I don't think it would take too much to do that & I could probably manage to even do some contrast stitching around the mirror so it has a finished look...whattya think?

An upholstery supply shop should have everything you need. The factory visor is a thin cardboard that was perforated to allow it to bend into the shape. The supply shop should have the cardboard on a roll or in a sheet. There are different thicknesses to choose from. The headliner material is all that covers the visor

When you take your visor apart the cardboard will probably fall apart. Everyone we have done has. There is a thicker board that the visor mirror attaches to. I have a plastic welder but if you don't you could use a soldering iron to melt the tabs to take it apart. Use the old cardboard to trace a pattern on the new cardboard. I score the cardboard with a blade to allow it to fold like the original

I've never been a fan of the light headliner material. I think a darker color would look good

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Here's a good thread for ya by Smittro

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=visor

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Here's a good thread for ya by Smittro

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ighlight=visor
    Is there anything you *can't* help me with?!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Is there anything you *can't* help me with?!
    Lots!

But, thankfully, we have very informative people here and they are all willing to help. I learn something new around here everyday

Thread Information