Vapor Mist Charcoal Grey
    1969 Chevelle

Start of new paint job

So, After new floors, a new trunk pan, replacing both quarters and other minor things, i finally got it in primer and blocked out.

final primer coat

This is the car in sealer and with the black sprayed for the stripes

And here is it in the first 3 coats of clear. Getting ready to wet sand and airbrush the stripes and add the pinstripes around the racing stripes. Sorry for the crappy pics, taken with my cell phone

I know it looks funny right now but i misted a light coat of pearl on the stripes, will be retaping the stripes and airbrushing a celtic knotwork design on them. After the airbrush work is done, i am going to pinstripe the edges of the racing stripes with a candy red for accents. I will have more pics when this step is complete

Vapor Mist Charcoal Grey
    1969 Chevelle

Oh btw this is my first resto and also my first paint job.....not too bad but it will look better when i am done

Navy Blue Matalic
    2000 Z28

looks good man.. you gonna sand it back down and reclear it to get rid of the tapelines?? Then a good cut and buff and that'll be a beauty.. what kinda paint/clear did you use?

Vapor Mist Charcoal Grey
    1969 Chevelle

Paint is U Tech base and the clear is House of Kolor. Yes it is getting wet sanded tomorrow and then i will retape to airbrush. After i airbrush, It will get 3 more coats of clear and then a final wetsand and buff. Hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head lol.

Navy Blue Matalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevelle View Post
    Paint is U Tech base and the clear is House of Kolor. Yes it is getting wet sanded tomorrow and then i will retape to airbrush. After i airbrush, It will get 3 more coats of clear and then a final wetsand and buff. Hope it turns out as good as it looks in my head lol.

Hahahahah well it looks good so far man! Good luck with it!

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

sweet! how much do you figure your saving by doing it yourself?

Navy Blue Matalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by supaxero View Post
    sweet! how much do you figure your saving by doing it yourself?
    for a good resto job.. i'd say he saved 5 - 10 g's

Vapor Mist Charcoal Grey
    1969 Chevelle

Well i figure as it sits right now there is over 300 hours into it. I have replaced the quarters, replace the floor pans and replaced the trunk pan. I have also dropped the frame out from under the car, sandblasted it and painted it. I am taking my time with it so i have alot of time involved. I have put 4 gallons of primer on it(only to sand most of it back off lol), block sanded it 4 times and still have to have the bumpers and the grill rechromed. That's not including disassembly time. This is also a learning experience for me, so i have had to do a few things over....for instance i had to take a quarter off after i welded it on to fix the wheelwell .....just little stuff. I have yet to make the trans crossover, drop the engine in and make all the radiator mounts and stuff. I am also fabbing my own billet brackets, valve covers and catch can. I figure i will have it for the most part done by the fall....i hope

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 69Chevelle View Post
    Well i figure as it sits right now there is over 300 hours into it. I have replaced the quarters, replace the floor pans and replaced the trunk pan. I have also dropped the frame out from under the car, sandblasted it and painted it. I am taking my time with it so i have alot of time involved. I have put 4 gallons of primer on it(only to sand most of it back off lol), block sanded it 4 times and still have to have the bumpers and the grill rechromed. That's not including disassembly time. This is also a learning experience for me, so i have had to do a few things over....for instance i had to take a quarter off after i welded it on to fix the wheelwell .....just little stuff. I have yet to make the trans crossover, drop the engine in and make all the radiator mounts and stuff. I am also fabbing my own billet brackets, valve covers and catch can. I figure i will have it for the most part done by the fall....i hope
    That's pretty impressive. Wish I had the drive to attempt a project like that

Vapor Mist Charcoal Grey
    1969 Chevelle

Thanks. I have to go out this week and look at an LS2 out of a GTO and hopefully that will be what's powering this beast.If not i do have the LT1. As soon as i get the suspension components fabbed, i'll bolt on the wheels and get some better pics up This will be my pro tour project....got the drag car done.....next is an old school coupe with a twin turbo 4 banger i think lol. Here is the Vette we just finished

This was a rollover car we aquired( we being my dad and i) and did a ton of work to.

\

Thread Information