White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Question Side skirt and Partial Front Body Molding Loose.. how to fix

Hello all.. new to the forums.. I am on my 4th F-Body car.. my first Pontiac.. a 99 Firebird, and I love it!

Question is.. I noticed today that my driver side skirt is bowed out a bit from the body, and the same side front spoiler lip (the bottom piece) is also a bit off.. how do I go about fixing this the right way?

Thanks in advance

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site, Chuck! Whereabouts in PA? We'll all be down at GM Carlisle next weekend if you are looking for something to do.

Let me crack open my manual and see how that attaches... brb.

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Welcome to the site, Chuck! Whereabouts in PA? We'll all be down at GM Carlisle next weekend if you are looking for something to do.

Let me crack open my manual and see how that attaches... brb.
    I'm about 45 mins north of Pittsburgh, PA and Thank you!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The rocker panel molding has a number of bolts and plastic fasteners at the front and rear. Along the length of the molding, there appear to be approximately eight (8) clips that push into holes on the body. Could be that these clips are damaged or missing. You may have to remove the molding to inspect it.

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

The rocker panel molding has a number of bolts and plastic fasteners at the front and rear. Along the length of the molding, there appear to be approximately eight (8) clips that push into holes on the body. Could be that these clips are damaged or missing. You may have to remove the molding to inspect it.
    Ok.. thank you for the info What about the front bumper lower piece? It looks like 2 way tape is in there now.. ?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sounds like that may be an aftermarket piece. I know our T/A front bumper is all one piece and I am not seeing anything identifying an additional lower piece on any of the other models' bumpers.

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Sounds like that may be an aftermarket piece. I know our T/A front bumper is all one piece and I am not seeing anything identifying an additional lower piece on any of the other models' bumpers.
    I am attaching a photo of the front bumper on my Firebird.. and circled the area in green that I am talking about..

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Ok.. I hope this doesn't end up a double post.. but the first post didn't seem to go through.. I am attaching an image with the area circled in green.. perhaps you can tell me better - Thanks!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by CD99Firebird View Post
    Ok.. thank you for the info What about the front bumper lower piece? It looks like 2 way tape is in there now.. ?
    Do you see a W68 code on the doors option list? The W68 Sport Apperance Package on V6 Firebirds does have separate lower front "spoilers" on the front bumper cover.

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Do you see a W68 code on the doors option list? The W68 Sport Apperance Package on V6 Firebirds does have separate lower front "spoilers" on the front bumper cover.
    I will have to look.. I just bought the car not long ago.. but thank you for the heads up

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Yes, there is a W68 Code on the doors option list. Good to know

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by CD99Firebird View Post
    Yes, there is a W68 Code on the doors option list. Good to know
    That W68 package also gives you nifty things like a limited slip differential, shorter gearing and other good stuff.

PAJeff, a factory manual should have reference to W68 spoilers, they ran them from 98-02.

If I had to take a guess, theres probably at least three clips in addition to the double sided body tape to hold those on, and probably a screw or two in discrete spots.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I can look again, but I paged the entire section and didn't see those pictured.

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

That W68 package also gives you nifty things like a limited slip differential, shorter gearing and other good stuff.

PAJeff, a factory manual should have reference to W68 spoilers, they ran them from 98-02.

If I had to take a guess, theres probably at least three clips in addition to the double sided body tape to hold those on, and probably a screw or two in discrete spots.
    Good to know.. I will look into that a bit more

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I carefully paged through the service manual again and came up with nothing. I can clearly see the Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am bumpers and how they are attached. Those lower lips (as shown in Post #8) are simply not depicted.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I carefully paged through the service manual again and came up with nothing. I can clearly see the Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am bumpers and how they are attached. Those lower lips (as shown in Post #8) are simply not depicted.
    Thats kinda silly, for GM not to include a long run option, oh well.... Sounds like CD99 needs to go to a dealer parts dept and have them pull it up then.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Try this link to the GM parts catalog. I think part number 22 in this diagram in the inset box is the molding extension you are talking about. Looks like it is held on with two pieces of double stick and maybe 1 screw. BUMPER & COMPONENTS.. Fits: Firebird | Jim Ellis Chevrolet

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

3M two-sided tape. Parts stores carry it. Comes in very handy. Remove that lower front cannard/spoiler piece, remove old tape from it and the front bumper, apply two-sided tape with enough pressure to bond both sides without damaging parts. Done.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

White
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    3M two-sided tape. Parts stores carry it. Comes in very handy. Remove that lower front cannard/spoiler piece, remove old tape from it and the front bumper, apply two-sided tape with enough pressure to bond both sides without damaging parts. Done.
    Yep, definitely in the not so distant future.. the front bumper has some road rash (someone was very careless hitting curbs) that will need to be re-surfaced and painted, so I will be doing that all at once. (Luckily my father-in-law is very good at painting cars)

Thread Information