white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Sanding and painting hood

Im wantin to repaint my hood the clear coat is peeling, im wantin to do my own prep work to save money. I already have my sand paper i just need some tips on sanding it down i havent before. Then i need to know what the best brand of paint and clear coat theres so many choices, Im painting it black the color it is and i dont need much cause its just the top part of the hood, id like to get the best paint possible for it so any ideas and opinions are welcome thanks everybody.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    Im wantin to repaint my hood the clear coat is peeling, im wantin to do my own prep work to save money. I already have my sand paper i just need some tips on sanding it down i havent before. Then i need to know what the best brand of paint and clear coat theres so many choices, Im painting it black the color it is and i dont need much cause its just the top part of the hood, id like to get the best paint possible for it so any ideas and opinions are welcome thanks everybody.
    why not white like the rest of the car? just strip it with high grit and smooth it with smoother grit

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

i dont need much cause its just the top part of the hood
    My first question is: Are you only trying to do a part of your hood? If you are going to paint and clear only part of your hood good luck. It is very hard to splice panels together like that. Not only with paint lines, but paint differences. Even if you get the same paint (brand, color, ect.) the sun fades paint overtime and makes matching seasoned paint impossible. This is why you would want to do panels at a time. Do the whole hood.....I would paint it white if it were me...but to each their own.

Question two: I understand you are trying to save money by doing it yourself. However you said you've never done it before, so im assuming you have none of the supplies. If you are looking for a quality job (2 stage) you will spend some $$ on supplies first (paint gun, thinner, ect. although you can get a gun at harbor freight for dirt cheap) If you just want a temporary fix and want it cheap you can spray bomb if you know what your doing (and have it look decent).

If I were you, I would get it done professionally ($150-200 for the hood) and call it a day. It will be done right the first time and you wont have to worry about it.

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    just strip it with high grit and smooth it with smoother grit
    Justin thats quite vague....you may lead someone to talking 50 grit to their car

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Musclecargt71 View Post
    My first question is: Are you only trying to do a part of your hood? If you are going to paint and clear only part of your hood good luck. It is very hard to splice panels together like that. Not only with paint lines, but paint differences. Even if you get the same paint (brand, color, ect.) the sun fades paint overtime and makes matching seasoned paint impossible. This is why you would want to do panels at a time. Do the whole hood.....I would paint it white if it were me...but to each their own.

Question two: I understand you are trying to save money by doing it yourself. However you said you've never done it before, so im assuming you have none of the supplies. If you are looking for a quality job (2 stage) you will spend some $$ on supplies first (paint gun, thinner, ect. although you can get a gun at harbor freight for dirt cheap) If you just want a temporary fix and want it cheap you can spray bomb if you know what your doing (and have it look decent).

If I were you, I would get it done professionally ($150-200 for the hood) and call it a day. It will be done right the first time and you wont have to worry about it.
    top notch info right there

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

if i want it white again i have a white hood but i like the black. An im not painting it myself i want that done professionally im just goin to sand it myself take hours out of the prep work that ill be paying for. And im painting the top part of the hood not the underneath side that faces the motor.

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

if i want it white again i have a white hood but i like the black. An im not painting it myself i want that done professionally im just goin to sand it myself take hours out of the prep work that ill be paying for. And im painting the top part of the hood not the underneath side that faces the motor.
    Well then talk with your painter and see how he wants you to prep it. If you prep it wrong, he'll have to re-do it anyway. Personally I would scuff it with some 220 (with a DA) to get rid of the clearcoat imperfections (rock chips and such), then block it some 320. Dont forget to wipe down the hood with wax and grease remover before you do ANY sanding, then re-wipe it down after all your sanding is done.
    Last edited by Musclecargt71; 11-10-2009 at 09:00 AM.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Musclecargt71 View Post
    Well then talk with your painter and see how he wants you to prep it. If you prep it wrong, he'll have to re-do it anyway. Personally I would scuff it with some 220 (with a DA) to get rid of the clearcoat imperfections (rock chips and such), then block it some 320. Dont forget to wipe down the hood with wax and grease remover before you do ANY sanding, then re-wipe it down after all your sanding is done.
    sounds about like what i would do, except of i wouldnt even use a da, just a good block, unless there is some very rough paint/clear . . if there is any deep gouges or scratches, i would recommend using some 3M spot putty. Tryin to sand them out can be difficult at times. other than that just work your way up to finer and finer paper, probably 500-600, depending on your painters preference. oh and i dont think its been mentioned but wetsand not dry. Its so much more efficient.

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

I did mine a year ago and I went 320 grit with the da and then 400 with a block and then 600 with a block......wash it first and then use surface prep before sanding....I wet sanded when I got to 600 the second round through...It makes it easier because paint dust wont build up as much on the block.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

alright thanks everybody ill talk to my painter this week.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117466

It was not very difficult to do -- the result you achieve is all in the prep work.

Thread Information