Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Removal of front fascia (bumper)

Anyone know an easy way to remove the front fascia of my 02 SS ? I want to possibly remove the stock black ''grill'' and am pretty sure you have to remove the whole bumper...(do you?) but am not too sure how hard it would be...Also not even sure of this because ive seen some and they look cool with the grill removed exposing the two round holes but also exposing the holes/notches were the grill attatched so......?

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

On my last '01, I just gently pulled it off. I know there are several plastic clips that have to be removed one way or the other, but I found that pulling the grill and breaking the clips worked just fine. My current car already had the grill removed so I didn't have to mess with it.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I was looking at my car today, and since I just registered in a state where no front plate is required (they don't even provide one), I was thinking about removing mine. But I want the grill to stay intact, because I may be moving to another state eventually, and may have to put the license plate back on... so... in order to keep the grille intact, would I have to remove the front bumper? If so, how could I do it without breaking those little plastic rivet thingies that hold it on?

I understand that I can use clay/epoxy/caulking to fill the little holes up. But how would I paint it? Can the factory paint be "spread" over the fillings? Or is that stretching it too thin?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Some have yanked the grille straight out of the bumper and others have removed the entire front bumper cover then removed the grille. You will have to fill the slots in the front bumper cover where the grille sat.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I removed the bumper cover to take my grill off but you can yank it off if you want. The only thing holding it on are a few small clips on the back as well as some plastic threads.
    Like Rich said, most just pull on it and it comes off

If you end up removing the whole thing:
    Take the headlights out
    five plastic clips on the top, three clips on the bottom. Center pulls out and they can slip out
    Remove all the bolts on the bottom
    There is a bolt on each side that connects the bumper cover and fender that comes out
    Three nuts run along the bumper/fender line (can get these from the bottom)
    And then just finesse the cover over the fender studs and off the car

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

IMHO,, I think the grills were a GM after thought during Camaro production, because when you remove the grill it has "Camaro" molded right into the fascia.

Reminds me a little of the early 70's cars without it..

Err Well just that part actually..

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    IMHO,, I think the grills were a GM after thought during Camaro production, because when you remove the grill it has "Camaro" molded right into the fascia.

Reminds me a little of the early 70's cars without it..

Err Well just that part actually..
    Split bumper?

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I was looking at my car today, and since I just registered in a state where no front plate is required (they don't even provide one), I was thinking about removing mine. But I want the grill to stay intact, because I may be moving to another state eventually, and may have to put the license plate back on... so... in order to keep the grille intact, would I have to remove the front bumper? If so, how could I do it without breaking those little plastic rivet thingies that hold it on?

I understand that I can use clay/epoxy/caulking to fill the little holes up. But how would I paint it? Can the factory paint be "spread" over the fillings? Or is that stretching it too thin?
    Well the other members already filled you in (and me now) about the bumper/front fascia removal.. Here in Ca. we have to have front plates too! SUCKS....I went around for years w/o one until i got caught a few years ago. Its not a big deal a fine and a fix but its the idea that if you are running illegal exhaust and you get pulled for the bumper they can start pokin around etc etc,,,,,and well i just didnt want any contact with a LEO so i relented and gave in and put it on!....As for you paint question?..some may say you can have it filled in and spot painted/blended...other shops will try and convince you thet you have to do the whole thing..talk to a body shop and see what they say...being the front fascia is made of a non metal its different to paint them metal so? I too like the look of the grill off although i like member tatertot91/Alex`s grill..but if im gonna do away with the grill.id definately want the clip slots filled and repainted,,,but id probably have to install some sort of front plate just in case ...so i dont know?...I always had the idea of fabing up some sort of front plate that would show the plate but when you hit a switch it would flip it around (hide it) and it would look like the rest of the front? I guess i should have taken a robotics class or two?...someday maybe ill see how it could be done.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Mine's not done by the way
    Have some paint work to do so i can officially mount my RKsport
    I have been back and forth on getting the clips filled and cover repainted though

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Also have any members seen that repalcement front fascia from KYspeed (maybe)...i cant remeber were i saw it but i know i found the website from a memeber on here about another issue and when i was on the web page i looked in the body section for aftermarket parts (UE or LE maybe?) anyway .It looked kinda cool it had a splitter on the bottom and was more angled then our stocker but not so much that it looked weird....I liked it in the pics...i always thought that more could have been done to the front If i find out were i saw it ill post it> edit: NOT KYSPEED....
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 08-27-2012 at 11:41 PM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Split bumper?
    and the "mouth" looking opening..lol

Thread Information