Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Porting, Prepping and Painting a FAST 90 Intake Write-up (tons of pics)

Ok guys. This is for all of you DIY (Do It Yourselfers) out there. Please allow me to give you some background about how my FAST90 came to be, and what all I did to it before installing it on my car yesterday (Aug 3rd, 2007).

Back in April of 2007 I came across a guy selling a Tony Mamo ported FAST 90 intake in Houston. I picked up the intake in person for $1k. Hell of a deal considering at the time the combo alone unported sells from $1150-$1300 depending on where you get it. A Tony Mamo port job in addition to the FAST90/90 combo is between $400-$500 on top of that. The intake had 0 miles on it. It was installed on the car, started up and run but 0 road miles on the intake itself.

Here is what the intake looked like once I got it home:

You can see in the runners that this intake has been ported just like the seller had previously informed me...:

Here is the intake once I degreased it and started sanding it down (extrior first). Sanding process went as follows (100 Grit, 220 Grit, 400 Grit, 1000 Grit):

Here is the top shell sanded down starting with 100 Grit, then to 220 Grit, next I used 400 Grit, and finally to make it smooth 1000 Grit sandpaper. You can clearly see I sanded it down. If you are curious as to what the inside of the runners feel like before sanding them down, the exterior top side of the shell is what you need to look at and feel for reference...:

Since the FAST intake is a composite polymer constructed intake, you just cannot spray on a primer coat and then paint the intake. For this reason, you need to spray on a couple coats (i did 2 coats, 1st one light, 2nd one medium coverage) of an adheisive promoter.

All prep (adheisive promoter), primer, and paint spray I used was by Duplicolor. If need be I will be more than happy to get you the spray can numbers of each, respectively...

Duplicolor Adheivsive Promoter
    Duplicolor Primer (light grey)
    Duplicolor Gloss Black Paint
    Duplicolor Clearcoat

Here is a pic of the intake secured down and with both coats of Duplicolor Adheisive Promoter (BTW, it goes on clear)...:

Here are some pics of the intake after the 1st coat of Duplicolor Primer. I did (3) coats (light, light, medium) and followed the directions on the can to allow for the correct amount of drying inbetween coats...:

Here is the intake after all (3) coats were applied:

Painting the intake with a conventional can spray paint is tricky, especially getting into all the crevices that thie FAST90 intake has. If you have experience using a spray gun for a more even and unified spraying application, I strongly suggest using a Paint Gun. Also, if you know someone that would be willing to paint your intake for free (you supplying the materials of course), that would be option #2. For me, well, I got to can spray. this is where you need to devote the most time and attention cause you can mess it upvery quickly. Again, I followed the instructions on the can but instead of (3) coats, I chose to do (4): light, light, medium, medium spray coverage. Here are some pics after the 1st light coat:

Here is a pic after all (4) coats have been applied...:
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 08-04-2007 at 11:48 AM.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Now that I have covered that, I would like to go back into more detail about sanding down (porting) of the middle and lower intake together as one unit. I figured since I did it to the top shell that doing it to the middle and bottom shell couldnt hurt anything.

Here is a pic of the middle and bottom shells after using 100 Grit (note you can see which runners I had sanded and which ones I had not):

Here is a pic of them after 400 Grit:

Here is a pic after I used 1000 Grit to finish up sanding down (porting) the middle and bottom shells as one unit. Please look closely at the runners and again you can clearly see that this intake has infact been ported. my sanding of the middle and bottom shells really brings that to light. Mainly look in the rounded corners of the runners:
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 08-04-2007 at 11:49 AM.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

After allowing the top shell which I painted Gloss Black to dry, I found that I wasnt very pleased with the results. So I chose to wetsand down the intake before adding another coat of paint and then clearcoating it. To be honest, wetsanding sucks. But if you want to be pleased with something that has taken you a while to do, then go for it. Im anal about my SS and wanting the intake to look as clean as I keep my car.

Here is a pic after I finished wetsanding down the top shell:

Here is a pic after appling the last coat of Duplicolor Gloss Black Paint, and Duplicolor Clearcoat (2) coats is what I chose to do:

Finally, here are a few pics of the intake assembled back together and then with the NW TB:

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

good work brian, nice write up for sure....

i read the news 444 is crazy!!! congrats man!

now i want one

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

I installed the FAST90/90 intake yesterday and had my car retuned. My old numbers were 409/386 (running an Ls6 intake with a stock NON-ported TB....

Mods are as follows: SLP Lid, SLP Bellow, FAST 90/90Comp Cam 224, Patriot Stage II Ls6 "Style" heads (59cc), LT's/ORY, SLP LM, HP Tune. Here are the results from the very first run, car not being re-tuned (computer screen shot and ignore the lower numbers, those were the last numbers they had on file for my car, i didnt gain 50rwhp, JUST 35rwhp... ):

Here are the final numbers:

Here is what the FAST90/90 intake looks like intalled on my car along with the STB that my girl got me as a B-day gift...:

Heres a pic of my car, and hopefully now understood why I wanted to paint the intake black:

The gains as you can see ar unreal. It brought out the entire shop to see. I did not expect those numbers at all with just the install of the FAST90/90 up from my Ls6 Intake. I have video of my dyno run and will get that downloaded soon.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask them. I hope that this little write up will allow people to realize you can do little things to really make your car stand out...
    Last edited by SSwt00SS; 08-06-2007 at 08:26 AM.
    2018 CTS-V: °°668rwhp/658rwtq°°
    2013 ZL1: °°590rwhp/576rwtq°°
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

Pewter
    2000 z28

yeah i actually do have a question.

are you god or something?

you lucky bastard....

and for anyone that missed this little part "the stb my GIRLFRIEND got ME for my b day" what the fuck? she sounds awesome!

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

thanks SGS. no im not a GOD... im a mere mortal. sanding down the top shell, and the middle and bottom together prepping and painting the top shell black took me an entire week to do when I went up to KC for the 1st week of July (last month)...

as for my girl, yeah she's a keeper, but not just cause she gets me car parts. she loves the SS. selling her is not an option... those are her words, not mine...

Pewter
    2000 z28

ha ha thats cool

how was kcir this year? good track?

and out of curiosity, how did you manage to make so much more hp than torque man? i figured it would have been the other way around with the cam you have. maybe im mistaken...

where do you all down in the dallas area go to the 1/4? i heard there wasnt too many, just 8th miles. true?

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

KCIR was hot the friday I went (90+ temp and track temp was in the 130's). I posted really bad times but strong trap speeds (114 and 113mph respectively, while only running 12.9's)...

I cannot explain how or why I gained so much HP. I was thinking at most 425-430 since I already had an Ls6 intake on the car. Having a good tune helps as well. As for TQ, small blocks (our 346) are not TQ monsters, big blocks are. I was hoping to make 400+ in TQ but didnt quite get there. Also, I think since Im running such a small cam that is another reason my TQ isnt higher. I also have to take into account that perhaps if I were to step up to an underdrive pulley and a true dual setup I would pick up some TQ...

In Dallas there are 3 tracks to run at. Denton, Redline (both 1/8mi), and Ennis (1/4mi). I have only been to Redline since being down here...

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    KCIR was hot the friday I went (90+ temp and track temp was in the 130's). I posted really bad times but strong trap speeds (114 and 113mph respectively, while only running 12.9's)...

I cannot explain how or why I gained so much HP. I was thinking at most 425-430 since I already had an Ls6 intake on the car. Having a good tune helps as well. As for TQ, small blocks (our 346) are not TQ monsters, big blocks are. I was hoping to make 400+ in TQ but didnt quite get there. Also, I think since Im running such a small cam that is another reason my TQ isnt higher. I also have to take into account that perhaps if I were to step up to an underdrive pulley and a true dual setup I would pick up some TQ...

In Dallas there are 3 tracks to run at. Denton, Redline (both 1/8mi), and Ennis (1/4mi). I have only been to Redline since being down here...
    so i take it you havent installed the torquer 2 yet??

how does she feel now? real jumpy, just throw you back in the seat insane?? i hope so man. the intake looks really good and you put down outrageous numbers which just goes to show that the small cams are monsters too!

this midwest humidity is ridiculous and i can believe kc was that hot for sure. thats what gateway is usually in the 120-130s. the trap speed is there for sure and will only get quicker with a new rear and dr's.

get some suspension and take the ol back seat out, spare tire, and jack...voila...55 pounds shaved!! its sorta my thing...

i have heard of ennis but not the 8th miles you mentioned. gonna be down in austin for a week in september and is very probable will be going over to dallas as my buddy is going to visit family. we may just bring the fleet....

thanks for the info.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

she jumps like mad, kinda like when your doing a girl and call her by the wrong name... sounds pissed off as hell when at WOT. I am downloading the dyno run right now...

I actually dont have a Torquer v2 cam. I went with and have a TSP 231/237 .595/.598 @112+2 cam sitting in a box wating to go in (someday). i really want to max out this 224 before stepping up to a bigger cam. the numbers I am putting down with this cam is crazy from what I am finding out from members of this site and 'tech' as well...

as for suspension, i currently have Spohn STB, LCA's, and PH Rod. Yes, I know I need more, like SFC's...

drop me a line if you come through Dallas...

glad to help you out w/the info...

Pewter
    2000 z28

i surely will man. probably have a bunch more questions concerning your set up as its right up my alley with the path you chose (small cam making big power).

my whole thing has been weight for a while now, and i have a few write ups in the process of shaving some pounds while staying comfortable in a daily driver...

want around 3200 and change, and by god i will get there.

that coupled with about 380 to the wheels should hold me for a while until i get some more funding.

car looks darn good btw. whats it like being at none other than lg motorsports? theyre pretty sought after as far as i know. very cool thing that you dyno'd there.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Good write up Brian and congrats

I am including this in the Museum as well
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

white
    2002 z28

i seen on tv before that painting the bottom of intake manifold WHITE will help out with temps. has anybody done this???

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Good write up Brian and congrats

I am including this in the Museum as well
    thanks Preston. that means alot...

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    i seen on tv before that painting the bottom of intake manifold WHITE will help out with temps. has anybody done this???
    what!?

a composite polymer intake regardless of what color its painted will perform the same. how would painting the bottom shell of a compostie intake white, help with underhood temps? the intake is enclosed between the fenders and on top by the hood. it sees no direct light that white as a result of the color spectrum is reflective in nature. it is the properites of the composite intake that dictates the heatsoak it might absorb, not the color you paint it...

the heat that is generated by the engine has no light generated by it so therefore someone is blowing smoke out their ass with such a comment...

silver
    98 camaro z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    what!?

a composite polymer intake regardless of what color its painted will perform the same. how would painting the bottom shell of a compostie intake white, help with underhood temps? the intake is enclosed between the fenders and on top by the hood. it sees no direct light that white as a result of the color spectrum is reflective in nature. it is the properites of the composite intake that dictates the heatsoak it might absorb, not the color you paint it...

the heat that is generated by the engine has no light generated by it so therefore someone is blowing smoke out their ass with such a comment...
    He heard this on horsepower tv its not for our cars. Its for cars that have a carb. or some kind of metal intake. They used a high temp white on the bottom. I wouldn't try it even if I did have a bbk intake manifold.

white
    2002 z28

thank you, just trying sto say what i heard and saw, its like a myth but lots of racers do it

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    and for anyone that missed this little part "the stb my GIRLFRIEND got ME for my b day" what the fuck? she sounds awesome!
    Until you get yours to purchase a Moser 9" for you...I gots you all beat.
    I gave her Sara in return.

Looks great. Trying to decide if I want to bother with painting mine. If I do, I want to sand down the FAST logo. Just have to check and see if there would be any problem doing so.
    GREAT gains as well.

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Until you get yours to purchase a Moser 9" for you...I gots you all beat.
    give me time...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Looks great. Trying to decide if I want to bother with painting mine. If I do, I want to sand down the FAST logo. Just have to check and see if there would be any problem doing so.
    GREAT gains as well.
    only thing i can think of is that to sand down/remove the FAST logo, would be that you would want to make the rest of the runners as smooth because you will eventually sand down the rippled texture. i sanded down the top side of the top shell with 100 grit, but i didnt sand it down smooth. i wanted to keep a little of that textured look to it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information