Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Polished something... other than my knob

Working on my header install (and everything else), I have been looking at my grungy rocker covers for the past two weeks. I just couldn't take it anymore, so late last week off they came. Even though the first cover cleaned up nicely, it was pretty rough around the edges and there were a lot of casting marks.

I started with a sanding disc to knock the casting flash off the perimeter. I then used a fiber dryloc to blend in the casting blemishes before using 320 wet on the rougher areas and 400 wet on the entire cover. I then buffed it and finished it with a sealer coat from 200 MPH.

Here's the right cover as it came off the car and the left cover completed, along with one of the left cover back on the car. I have some new pieces coming for the PCV setup, so the hole is covered by a piece of duct tape in the picture.

It's not perfect, but it is a whole lot better than it was when I started. Once the coil packs and FRC's are back in place, I realize only a bit will peek out. Yes... I am way too obsessive-compulsive.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Forgot to post my question. The service manual states that if the oil fill tube is removed from the rocker cover that you need to buy a new one. I have no idea if there is an o-ring on it or what seals it. Any truth to this? Just want to know if I should leave it alone or if I can pull it out to make more room to work?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Looks really good man, and im not sure on your question

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

looks great jeff!!! You're right, that's a shame you'll barely see it.

Yes, it's true-it'll break upon removal.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    looks great jeff!!! You're right, that's a shame you'll barely see it.

Yes, it's true-it'll break upon removal.

Thank you. Guess I'll just have to tape it off and be careful not to hit it with the shank when I buff it.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

they look good i may have to do this on my car. jason what is the cost on the new filler?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Forgot to post my question. The service manual states that if the oil fill tube is removed from the rocker cover that you need to buy a new one. I have no idea if there is an o-ring on it or what seals it. Any truth to this? Just want to know if I should leave it alone or if I can pull it out to make more room to work?
    The reason it says you will need a new one is because you basically have to break it to get it out. I think they run $5-7 though, not pricey by any means. I think I have been able to successfully remove 1 of 4 attempts without breaking the damn thing. They are a major PIA, don't remove it unless absolutely necessary.

They look significantly better Jeff, I have a 2nd set I have thought about just polishing as well.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Those look great! Ive seen some others do this and always thought about it. Now do a coil relocation so you can show them off!

+1 on the filler neck. Damn near impossible to take off without trashing it. I didn't even think it was possible honestly.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Looks good Jeff! My cars are next!!

Dam P..!? Did ya get powdered donut dust on it when you were eating off your motor??
    I can't honestly think of any other reason you'd have to pull your tube out other than to clean it J/K
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Those look great! Ive seen some others do this and always thought about it. Now do a coil relocation so you can show them off!

+1 on the filler neck. Damn near impossible to take off without trashing it. I didn't even think it was possible honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Looks good Jeff! My cars are next!!

Dam P..!? Did ya get powdered donut dust on it when you were eating off your motor??
    I can't honestly think of any other reason you'd have to pull your tube out other than to clean it J/K

When I was getting the covers powdercoated was the first time I broke one. I successfully removed the tube the 2nd time and the trick was wedging a small small flat head screwdriver in between the tube and the "track" its locked into. If you can get the screwdriver in there to break the lock, it will twist out, but I have still broken tubes attempting this too. Its a PIA even trying this way.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks for the replies! I guess I will leave the filler neck alone. It has just a bit of "wiggle" to it, so I thought that it may be removable. The good news is that the right cover does not have anywhere near the casting imperfections that the left one had. Should be a much easier job.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thanks for the replies! I guess I will leave the filler neck alone. It has just a bit of "wiggle" to it, so I thought that it may be removable. The good news is that the right cover does not have anywhere near the casting imperfections that the left one had. Should be a much easier job.
    Shortly after I usually think that something gets thrown across the garage..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Shortly after I usually think that something gets thrown across the garage..
    Fortunately, I have about double the patience of most people. I have never thrown anything in frustration and a muttered curse is about tops for me when I am working in the garage.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Fortunately, I have about double the patience of most people. I have never thrown anything in frustration and a muttered curse is about tops for me when I am working in the garage.
    That right there tells me you have not worked on any, or very few Ford products

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Great job Jeff. Car is going to look like a brand new one come spring at the rate you're going at.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Hey wait guys I did'nt word that statement right. Usually the part I'm trying to polish gets grabbed out of my hands and gets flung into oblivion.. I never throw tools much hate chasing them I'm too .. Best tools for fixing Fords is a 10 lbs sledge and a bottle of 100 proof..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

We have Fords too. A '98 Ranger that is now my stepson's secondary vehicle and an '04 Ranger that is my DD. The '04 had quite an appetite for parts the first year or so that I had it.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Great job Jeff. Car is going to look like a brand new one come spring at the rate you're going at.

Thanks. I just can't leave well enough alone.

Hey wait guys I did'nt word that statement right. Usually the part I'm trying to polish gets grabbed out of my hands and gets flung into oblivion.. I never throw tools much hate chasing them I'm too .. Best tools for fixing Fords is a 10 lbs sledge and a bottle of 100 proof..

Certainly sounded like you were a tool chucker from your post. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

We have Fords too. A '98 Ranger that is now my stepson's secondary vehicle and an '04 Ranger that is my DD. The '04 had quite an appetite for parts the first year or so that I had it.

Thanks. I just can't leave well enough alone.

Certainly sounded like you were a tool chucker from your post. I will give you the benefit of the doubt.
    Gee thanks you're all heart..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Finished the passenger side cover tonight and re-installed it on the car. Could have spent a lot more time on them, but since they are basically covered up anyway its probably not worth the effort.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Finished the passenger side cover tonight and re-installed it on the car. Could have spent a lot more time on them, but since they are basically covered up anyway its probably not worth the effort.

Click for full size
    Well from the looks of it, it was time well spent.. They look trick I likey. Can you coat them with something to keep them nice? I hate the dreded white powder looking corrosion AL. gets over time..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information