Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Paint Job Prices?

I'm thinking of getting my TA repainted later this year (likely after I get a WS6 hood) but I was curious what kind of prices are you guys getting for quotes or work done to repaint your entire car? I will likely do all the prep work and taping myself as I have done it before and I know it cuts out a lot of the time involved in painting. I'll likely stay same color to keep it less expensive (no need to cut it in).

Appreciate any info you can provide, i'll take whatever input i can get, it's been almost 10 years since I've had a car painted and I know I got a KILLER deal back then, just want to be prepared for the sticker shock before I plan too far ahead. I will likely be getting it painted at a private shop not a stealership.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting my TA repainted later this year (likely after I get a WS6 hood) but I was curious what kind of prices are you guys getting for quotes or work done to repaint your entire car? I will likely do all the prep work and taping myself as I have done it before and I know it cuts out a lot of the time involved in painting. I'll likely stay same color to keep it less expensive (no need to cut it in).

Appreciate any info you can provide, i'll take whatever input i can get, it's been almost 10 years since I've had a car painted and I know I got a KILLER deal back then, just want to be prepared for the sticker shock before I plan too far ahead. I will likely be getting it painted at a private shop not a stealership.
    Will you be getting everything painted? Like the door jams,inside the fenders, etc? Or will it just be the outside of the car? If i is the first I was told to paint my 1985 corvette a couple years ago it would be around the ball park of $2k but then again it was gold and that is a more expensive color. I would imagine if you did the prep work it would be less than that and even less if you just had the outside painted and not the door jams and stuff.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post

Hey I can PM the name of a person that does paint in our vehicles. He owns a camaro. I never use him but I heard very good feedback from other people. Where in CFL are you at?

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    Hey I can PM the name of a person that does paint in our vehicles. He owns a camaro. I never use him but I heard very good feedback from other people. Where in CFL are you at?
    Eustis/ Mount Dora Area, about 30-40 minutes NorthWest of Orlando, PM away I know a local guy that's willing to give me a quote also but I want a couple opinions/prices before I commit to anything.

Awaiting Activation

Light Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Painting prices can run all over the place.
    Paint has gone up tremendously in price and so has the supplies.
    Doing your own prep work would not allowed by most. Its there paint job and if your prep is wrong than they fail.
    Straight one color, guy doing it on the side, $2K, shop $4-6K, shop show look, $8K+.
    Like I said, irs all over depending on what you want to see as a outcome.
    Maaco and other places of the likes can do it under $1K, but it looks like it also.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Maaco gets bad rep cause their prep sucks. If you do your own prep and do a good job of it, you can take it to Maaco for the paint and it will turn out fantastic.

Black
    2002 firebird T/A WS6-A4

I think another reason Maaco gets such a bad rep is due to it being a chain. just like any chain some are good some are bad and everyone loves to share thier horror stories.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Maaco gets bad rep cause their prep sucks. If you do your own prep and do a good job of it, you can take it to Maaco for the paint and it will turn out fantastic.
    yup, my father and I (back 17 years ago) did all the prep work on my first car, '86 camaro, and had it painted at Maaco and it came out great, never had a problem with it and I drove it through upstate NY winters. I've also seen paint jobs come out of that same shop that looked like shit, so in my opinion prep work is super important.

3 years later I was working at a chevy dealership (while going to college) and did all the prep work on my '87 TA, paid for paint on the side and paid one of the paint techs to do the job on the side, changed the color, cut in everything, I did 1/2 of the wetsanding between coats and all the taping and masking and it came out like a true showcar finish, parked next to a brand new corvette it made the factory finish look like a 8/10 no orange peal at all and really really deep color. I really need to scan in some pictures of my '87.
    Last edited by TransAmX2; 07-13-2011 at 05:44 AM.
    '98 NBM T/A: TSP Headers, ORY, Flowmaster Exhaust, Freemods, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Poly mounts and Bushings, Swaybars, Upgraded T56, B&M Shifter, LED DRL/Turnsignals, MTI Lid, EGR Delete, MAF De-Screened, Polished TB, LS6 Intake, PCV Mod W/ catch can, UMI Torque Arm & 3-Point SFC.

Thread Information