Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Paint Decision...What do you think?

I'm getting ready to paint the Firebird Formula and want some opinions. The previous owner painted over the original Dark Navy Blue Metallic with a kind of flip-flop blue metallic to purple metallic paint. It one view it is a nice dark blue metallic but when you look at it from a different direction it looks kind of crappy. Not that I don't like purple but it just doesn't really work on my car. I really like the Lemans Blue Metallic from the 2005-2007 Corvettes Tell me what do you think or offer up other suggestions. I want a darker blue but not too dark that you can't pick out the blue. The Lemans Blue really pops out. I'd really love to see a 'Bird with it painted that color...This is what the color looks like. It is on an older Corvette that I found on the web...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corvettes001.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	23996

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

That's a nice blue. Looks like the factory NBM but with some more metal flake added to it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I think that would make for a good looking car. Put a nice set of wheels on the car and it would really pop.
    2012 Regal GS

2004 Cadillac CTS-V (Sold)
    2001 Camaro SS (Sold)
    1999 Camaro Z28 (Sold)

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Thanks! I've been debating back and forth between the Lemans Blue and the Lexus Toyota Spectra Blue Mica Metallic. They are very similar. The Blue Mica is a little cheaper. The Lemans Blue is around $200-$250 a gallon for the base coat alone. I think the Spectra Blue Mica is about $160-$180 a gallon for the base coat. I still think I'll go with the Lemans because it is just a tad bit lighter. I really want the blue to stand out and the Dark Navy Blue metallic is just a tiny bit too dark. In direct sun it looks great but in the shade the blue just doesn't pop out. There's a guy in the next subdivision with an '06 Z06 in Lemans Blue and it looks amazing. I'll be sure to post pictures when it is done. I can't wait...

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Looks like Lemans Blue to me. Would be a cool as looking Formy IMO

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    Looks like Lemans Blue to me. Would be a cool as looking Formy IMO
    Thanks! I'm going to meet the paint guy tomorrow and look at a car he is painting the same color Lemans Blue. He did mention that is isn't really a metallic as much as it is a pearl. I'm wondering if the Corvette in the picture I posted is a different color such as GM Arrival Blue? Either way the Lemans Blue looks great and should really look great on the Formula's curves. I drove slowly by the guy in the next subdivision's house to take a long look at his Z06 and the way the paint looks flowing over the front fenders is amazing! LOL!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

That's a sharp blue I would go for it.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

That blue would look good on the car.

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Thanks everybody. I take it in Monday but now have another dilemma...The LeMans/Luxo Blue for 2012 is different from the 2004-2007. The 2004-2007 color is GM #WA933L/ Code 19 but in 2012 it is GM #WA933L/Code 19 GTS. I don't have the mixture breakdown but the old one had more magenta while the new one had a little green. The new one has more mica and pearl. I haven't seen a picture of the new 2012 paint, only the 2004-2007...Hmmm...I guess I'll have a few days to figure it out because it will take a few days to repair the mild bumper damage, sand, primer, sand again.

Pewter
    '00 SS

I was at a car show a couple of weeks back and found the color I want on a '13 Charger. It is called blackberry pearl. I'm thinking about doing that color one day. Gonna be awhile for that decision.

OP, I think its gonna look nice and I agree with a nice set of wheels will make it pop.

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by kenro23 View Post
    I was at a car show a couple of weeks back and found the color I want on a '13 Charger. It is called blackberry pearl. I'm thinking about doing that color one day. Gonna be awhile for that decision.

OP, I think its gonna look nice and I agree with a nice set of wheels will make it pop.
    My sister and her husband almost bought a Dodge Durango in Blackberry Pearl. She said it was really sharp in bright sunlight but in the shade it looked completely black. They live in Arizona and figured a darker vehicle would be hotter than hell in the summer.

I picked out the color this morning. I went with the 2004-2007 LeMans Blue/Luxo Blue instead of the 2012 color. After comparing all the pictures I found of the 2 versions I could clearly see the older LeMans blue had a little more color and pearl and really pops out even in lower light conditions. I'll get it back in a week and will posts pictures. Thanks for all the input!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

+1 on liking the new color choice.

when done.

how long is it going to take?

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

I brought it in Monday and they hoped to have it done by Friday but they told me Thursday it may take a few more days...I'm getting sick of my rental car! LOL! It's an Impala and it sucks...handles like a wet sponge, no power, seats are horrible, sounds like a ricer under full throttle and...oh yea...It doesn't have an LS1!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I like my 2008 Impala LTZ

Subscribed for pics.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I like my 2008 Impala LTZ

Subscribed for pics.
    The rental is just the base model with the weak 200 hp LZE engine. The suspension is really soft and the engine always seems to be surging under normal acceleration. Whenever you stomp on the gas it has a long pause before it takes off. I used to own a supercharged 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi that was fast and handled more like a sports car. This is the complete opposite. I have a friend that has a 2009 LTZ Impala and it drives great. Handles great, is comfortable and is pretty quick!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us updated. And I feel your pain about the base Impala. I have replaced many tires on many fleet/rental Impys. They are usually beat to shit. An LTZ or SS...those are treated with the utmost care.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Try Shelby blue from a 60's Cobra. I should look great in a classic way.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

GOT IT BACK! Picked her up this morning and I'm really impressed. The pictures don't do it justice!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue nose.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	24062 I'll post more in a few minutes...trying to re-size them so they will upload...

GM LeMans/Luxo Blue
    2001 Firebird Formula

Here are a few more pictures of the Formula in GM LeMans/Luxo Blue

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

That was quick. Looks very nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information