Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New HID issue

99' 30th Ann TA

New HID issue

I've searched the forums, and there isn't much discussed on this for me to get an answer....

I just installed my HID low beams and fogs yesterday.... To get to the point, when I turn on my lights, sometimes they both come on, sometimes just one, or the other.... Similar issue with the fogs... I've gone through the wiring and I just can't believe there'd be a loose connection anywhere.....

I see most of you are able to hook em up and go and they're perfect, so shouldn't all of our cars basically be the same? Or do some of us have to run resistors or high wattage relay harness? If so can anyone link me to the kind that I'll need for both my lowbeams and fogs?

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by ebdboudreaux; 12-04-2009 at 06:26 AM.
    30th Anniversary Trans Am #0998
    B&B triflow exhaust, American Racing Headers, RPM Level V T-56, RPS clutch, LS6 intake, P&P TB, Hotchkis lower trailing, Panard Rod, Tower Brace, SFC's, and Swar Bar Kit, BMR Lowering Springs, HAL Adjustable Shocks and Coilovers, Powerslot Rotors

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I have that issue if I turn on my lights as soon as I start my car cold. If I shut the lights and turn them on again they both come on. Mine happens mostly with the passenger side light. I think it's the initial voltage draw from starting the car not powering on the ballasts. I'm not sure though cause I didn't investigate it too much

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Are you using a harness?
    Posted via Mobile Device

99' 30th Ann TA

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998 View Post
    I have that issue if I turn on my lights as soon as I start my car cold. If I shut the lights and turn them on again they both come on. Mine happens mostly with the passenger side light. I think it's the initial voltage draw from starting the car not powering on the ballasts. I'm not sure though cause I didn't investigate it too much
    yea if I usually just flip the on/off switch again they usually come right on

99' 30th Ann TA

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    Are you using a harness?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I only used what came with the kit off ebay that everyone on here was using...

but if what you are asking is if I have it drawing power directly from the battery then no.... I would like to do that to rule that issue out but I dont know where to buy just a relay harness from.... any help?

The Devil You Know!! TooFastT/A's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Trans Am WS7

I had that same problem, only it was the drivers side that would have a little issue, I think it was the fact that my HID kit ended up sitting in my garage without power (not hooked up) for a couple of months, before going into my '98.

Now, I don't experience any problems with them....even when I started it last night @ 2 degrees and turned on my HID Fogs and HID Lows. I'm thinking its a power issue with not getting sufficient power to the ballasts.

-Justin

1998 WS7 T/A M6| SLP:Lid,Line Lock,LM Exhaust w/ORY,Skip Shift| Pacesetter LT| 80mm BBK TB| Centerforce LS6 Clutch| Eaton Detroit TrueTrac Differential| MAC Diff.Carrier Girdle| 3:73 Gears| Spohn Cntrl Arms| Hotchkis Adj PHB| H&R Lowering Sp.Springs| NX 150 Shot Direct Port|More Mods... FQuick Page

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by ebdboudreaux View Post
    I only used what came with the kit off ebay that everyone on here was using...

but if what you are asking is if I have it drawing power directly from the battery then no.... I would like to do that to rule that issue out but I dont know where to buy just a relay harness from.... any help?
    You can buy our Universal Electric Water Pump harness. It is just a relay mountable socket,inline fuse and plenty of wire.

You will wire it to your lights instead of a waterpump. SAME EXACT principle though.

If you do go that route, I'll help you with any install questions.

Also, could someone PM me a link to the kit you are talking about?

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

99' 30th Ann TA

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    You can buy our Universal Electric Water Pump harness. It is just a relay mountable socket,inline fuse and plenty of wire.

You will wire it to your lights instead of a waterpump. SAME EXACT principle though.

If you do go that route, I'll help you with any install questions.

Also, could someone PM me a link to the kit you are talking about?
    I've already ordered a relay kit offline for the HID's, otherwise I would've probably gone your route...

link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

BLACK
    2001 WS-6

you need a relay kit for the lights, even though they use less energy then the stadard bulbs ,they take more energy to start them up and your computer doesnt understand whats up. if you keep flipping them on and off you will burn up the ballasts. get the direct relay to the battery with a fuse between the battery and the ballast.

Black
    2005 GTO

I have the harness on my GTO and still have this problem. Its only the pass side low beam that does it, never had a problem with any of the other bulbs they all fire up first try. I have yet to investigate the problem cause I'm lazy but I usually just turn them on then off and on again just to be sure there all on.

Red w/ silver strips
    2002 Camaro SS LE

i have a 2002 camaro ss and was wondering if anyone has been able to hook up HIDs to the fog lamps of these cars.....any help would be great
    thanks in advance

Nate

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 1bad69maro View Post
    i have a 2002 camaro ss and was wondering if anyone has been able to hook up HIDs to the fog lamps of these cars.....any help would be great
    thanks in advance

Nate
    The fogs are an 800 series bulb. Pretty much any place that sells HIDs will have a set for this bulb type. I know DDM has a kit.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...=101&parent=85

They call theirs the 880 bulb type. On sale too. $49.95 w/ lifetime warranty too. I got my low-beams from there for about $85 shipped. Very happy with them. Easy install. Nice small ballast.

EDIT: just ordered a set.
    Last edited by tpilews; 12-29-2009 at 05:51 AM.

Red w/ silver strips
    2002 Camaro SS LE

thanks you very much for the help

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tpilews View Post
    Easy install. Nice small ballast.
    did you have to use a harness or anything..or did you just follow the instructions that came with your purchase?

I had some before where i kept the old headlights and bought some Sylvania ones and removed the bulb and placed the HID in instead. Then we hooked it up and it worked fine for a while but after a few weeks I got flickering and eventually they just stopped working. I'm not sure if the bulbs were not great to begin with because the ballast are fine. I'm back to my stock lights but want to get the HIDs again, just not sure of what to do??
    Click for full size
    Jessica
    '00 Trans Am WS6
    '98 Cherokee Classic - DD

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

any ideas?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Maybe bad ground?

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    did you have to use a harness or anything..or did you just follow the instructions that came with your purchase?

I had some before where i kept the old headlights and bought some Sylvania ones and removed the bulb and placed the HID in instead. Then we hooked it up and it worked fine for a while but after a few weeks I got flickering and eventually they just stopped working. I'm not sure if the bulbs were not great to begin with because the ballast are fine. I'm back to my stock lights but want to get the HIDs again, just not sure of what to do??
    I just used everything that came in the package. One wire plugs into your stock headlight plug and goes to the ballast. One wire from ballast to hid light. Done. Go with DDM. Lifetime warranty, and they are very high quality for a nice, low price.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

plugah, makes more sense now. the kit i got didnt plug into the stock headlight. we spliced into the wiring. guess i'll have to try a ddm kit, ive been told by others that they are also good. thanks for the info!

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

i have had my hids since 2006 and one of my bulbs just burned out. But i ahve never had any issues with them not turning on, or having just one come on. Before i start my can i have my e brake up it helps with the life of the bulb and it dont draw power on initial start up.
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

Na
    NA

Quote Originally Posted by ebdboudreaux View Post
    I've searched the forums, and there isn't much discussed on this for me to get an answer....

I just installed my HID kits low beams and fogs yesterday.... To get to the point, when I turn on my lights, sometimes they both come on, sometimes just one, or the other.... Similar issue with the fogs... I've gone through the wiring and I just can't believe there'd be a loose connection anywhere.....

I see most of you are able to hook em up and go and they're perfect, so shouldn't all of our cars basically be the same? Or do some of us have to run resistors or high wattage relay harness? If so can anyone link me to the kind that I'll need for both my lowbeams and fogs?

Thanks in advance...
    Not enough power being spread so a relay should solve the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information