Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

Need advice on peeling clearcoat on fiberglass panels

Need advice on peeling clearcoat on fiberglass panels

Recently purchased a Astro van the roof and and parts of the side flares have the CC peeling

I don’t plan on investing in new CC for the roof.

Please advice if I can use a scrub sponge to remove the remaining clear coat like just above the windshield then maybe use some polish on the green paint.

This is going to be a tow vehical which won’t be used much just would like it to look a little better.

cant upload image here since the ls1 website improvement

link to van
    http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=64402
    Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 10-31-2014 at 07:58 PM.

You bought a mini van for a tow vehicle??

Can't really polish the underlying basecoat. The basecoat doesn't have the properties mixed in for shine purposes, and it has no hardeners, plus it's likely applied very thin. Most base coat/clear coat systems only require about 2 coats of base to get your color, and is then burried in 3-4 coats of clear. The factory coat is no exception with likely as little base and clear as they can get away with. Even if you rubbed on the base coat enough to make it shine, the sun would very quickly dull it right back up. It's just not made to endure sunlight.

If you feel ambitious and are really careful, you can very lightly scuff the entire area without going through the base coat, and then re-apply the clear. I've had some success with this IF the issue is fairly new and the base coat hasn't been exposed to too much sunlight. Very easy to go right through the base coat when prepping though. I wouldn't use more than a mild scotch brite pad on the base color, and if you don't remove all the old clear, then feather the clear back with 320 where it's stopped peeling. Keeping in mind this isn't a permanent fix either. Any old clear that hasn't peeled yet will likely peel later down the road and take your new clear with it.

It's simply much easier to just paint the car, if not the whole car, then come up with a 2 tone paint scheme to break things up, then color matching isn't a concern.

Or you could always vinyl wrap it for a quick and relatively cheap alternative....

Blog Entries

silver
    99 ws6

I have a big 21' aluimin boat I use in the Gulf of Mexico hull 900Lb engine 300Lb trailer 400Lb ect 300Lb
    not a heavy load under 2K the van tow capsity is 5500Lb 500Lb tongue weight.

I didn't want a real nice new tow vehical because the rear of vehical will be dunked in salt water.

the paint on the vans metal looks nice(except for a few sections looks like some animal pissed on a few sections I’ll post some image of the piss marklater) I'll check into the vinale wrape and how hard or easy it will be to apply I'm thinking it will be like applying window tint.

the wrape maybe kindof hard because of the odd shape of roof.

I don't know the history of this van so I can't say how long the paint has been exposed to the sun I'd guess and say a few years I believe the OP owner never washed the roof maybe because it you'r not 8' tall you'll need a ladder.
    what do you think about removing all the old clear w/ a scottpad serieously clean old paint then use a can of airasol clear coat?
    Thanks
    Last edited by qwik219d9; 11-02-2014 at 12:54 AM.
    cam-LTs-FAST78-Susp.-Rims

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think the scuff/rattle can idea would work if you don't want to go with the wrap. Or you could go with bedliner paint.

Thread Information