Question Hardtop 94 T/A to T-Tops possible?

Hey guys I will be buying a Dark Green 1994 Trans Am w/ 90K this friday, I'm going to be driving to Wisconsin from Iowa with my parents to buy it and drive it back home .

I would like to know could I add T-Tops to the car since it is a hardtop? If so how much would it cost me approx? What parts would i need to buy, and who could do it for me? I would like to do this when Spring Break starts, so around March 11-12

Thanks in advance for replies.

Thanks,
    Ado

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

it's easy, i and several others on the site have done it including graphicsgod, do a search and in his link you will find very helpful walkthroughs with pictures

Does it reduce the rigidity of the car at all ? Somone on another forum told me that if i did T-tops on a factory hardtop that it could reduce the rigidity of the car and thus make it unsafe ?

What parts do i need to buy?
    Approx how much would it cost to have somone do the T-tops for me?

Thanks for reply

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Of course it reduces the rigidity of the car, but the factory does it why shouldn't we? I did mine in my 6-speed Z28 without subframe connectors and never had a problem, and believe me that car was put through hell in it's 178,000 miles. If you worry about rigidity put in subframe connectors. I did mine for under 400 bucks, to get it done most places want at least 1500. To just buy parts you need to get the tops, weatherstripping, rails to hold the weatherstripping, windhshield trim, a-pillars from inside, headliner, and the t-top divider bar on the roof of the car

1999 Chevy Camaro

And for the love of god, cover your car inside and out!!!! Don't do it unless you cover it completely. Esp. if you use an angle grinder like I did (dumbass) . I love the look of it, but it really f-ed up my paint after I was done.

Go on ebay and do a search for parts, then do a seach for t-tops on here.

Rob

2000pontiac6
    Have you thought about maybe doing a targa top instead? I think that would look soo much better and it would be pretty unique. Just a thought.

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 2000pontiac6
    Have you thought about maybe doing a targa top instead? I think that would look soo much better and it would be pretty unique. Just a thought.
    I don't recomend that unless you buy some spider web/3 Point Bolt on sub frames. And either know how to make a replacement roof or live in Texas (theres a guy on here, if he's still here, that was selling targa roofs for those in Texas). Targa is another step in difficulty compaired to the t-top conv. I'd love to do it, but I just don't have the know how on how to go about replacing my roof. Maybe down the road I'll give it a shot.

Rob

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

and targa is SO custom. t-tops is a very straightforward install and all of the parts bolt up perfectly. With targa you are talking custom EVERYTHING -weatherstripping winshield trim, the top itself, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Thread Information