Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Halos + HID?!?!?! Help

Im gettin ready to order a new set of halo's for the Camaro... I know they run the projector style lenses... But I really like the look of HIDs... Just wanted to know if I could put an HID kit in with the Halos?

Thanks,
    Matt

Candy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

why wouldn't u be able to?

2000 Camaro SS, M6, Edelbrock LT's, Eibach Pro-Kit, Edelbrock Adjustable Coil-Overs
    1986 Camaro Iroc LS1 Swap In Progress

Blue Magic...
    Like Pepsi It's A Brand Name...

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I installed mine over a year ago, and they still look great!

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS View Post
    why wouldn't u be able to?
    I just heard that the projector lenses refract the light differently and cause alot of light distortion?

And thank you CobraHunter... Great pics.. Where did you get your kit at? Maybe a few details? If you don't mind.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Last edited by LS1Powerhouse; 01-31-2009 at 08:44 PM.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I got my kit on ebay a while ago. The install was really simple. I do have my headlights angled down a bit to reduce headlight glare; I haven't been flashed by oncoming drivers...EVER. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    I got my kit on ebay a while ago. The install was really simple. I do have my headlights angled down a bit to reduce headlight glare; I haven't been flashed by oncoming drivers...EVER. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    Do I just order the same kit for all three sets of bulbs? Lows, Highs, and Fogs? Or are they all different types? Sorry, probably a noob question.

Edit: When ordering it looks like I have to specify the bulb type, so the kit is the same, just different bulbs. Therefore I would order 9006 for the lows, 9005 for the highs, and 880 for the fogs? Also does this mean I will have a total of 6 ballasts?

These are the ones I'm looking at if it helps...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by LS1Powerhouse; 02-02-2009 at 02:52 AM.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Do I just order the same kit for all three sets of bulbs? Lows, Highs, and Fogs? Or are they all different types? Sorry, probably a noob question.

Edit: When ordering it looks like I have to specify the bulb type, so the kit is the same, just different bulbs. Therefore I would order 9006 for the lows, 9005 for the highs, and 880 for the fogs? Also does this mean I will have a total of 6 ballasts?
    Yes, you'd get the 9006 and 9005 for your lows and highs. As far as the fog lights go, I needed to replace my fog assemblies (with a set of Hella Micro De's) altogether, and they didn't have 880 HID bulbs yet. But I see that now they have HID kits using 880 bulbs. So, yes, you'd want to order the same temp for all three kits (e.g. 6000K); just looks better. And yes, you'll have (3) pairs of ballasts.

Lowbeam HID ballast mount

Foglight HID ballast mount

I stayed with halogen bulbs for my high beams, since I don't use them that often (don't need to). Also, I could have gone with a brighter kit (6000K or 8000K), but I didn't want to be blinding drivers in front of me.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Keep in mind, most if not all of the projector kits use different bulbs. Some use H3, but the best of them (can't remember the name of the manufacturer) use H1 bulbs. Might wanna read this before you buy anything. Its kinda long, but VERY informative.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Like Squee said, make sure you read what kind of bulbs the projectors come with (if you do decide to go with the projectors).

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

My projectors have H3's in them. Could I just order H3 HIDs?? Is it that simple? I hope so.. Thanks, by the way I sent you a PM about this cobrahunter. I'm looking to get rid of the H3's - They seem too dim for me, I'd like to try HID upgrade on the low beams...

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Im curious about fod light hids.....anyone???
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have the 880 hid kit in my Trans Am. Now they make evry bulbs size in HID

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Most aftermarket Halos take h3s, some take h1 bulbs. all the hid "kits" are the same for the most part, just different bulbs.

projectors are made for hid, regular lenses are not.

h3 projectors in all honesty arent very good for headlights, but are better than no projectors at all (like stock headlights). h3 is actually a fog light projector.

And as far as fogs, 880,881,893,894, all these are the same, all fit into the same housing and plug into the same connector. The only difference is the angle of the connector and the wattage.

880 --- 27.5 Watt, straight connector
    881 --- 27.5 Watt, right-angle connector
    893 --- 35 Watt, straight connector
    894 --- 35 Watt, right-angle connector

i went with 894 for my camaro fogs in the stock housings, and i have the dual ccfl halos w/ h3 projector headlights in black with an h3 kit. i went with 8000k(lows and fogs) for the temperature, (the higher, the dimmer, somewhere around 4000k is the brightest). i like the cool blue look of the 8000k is why i went with it.
    Last edited by totalkos; 04-16-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

HID's in Halo projectors!

I installed Hid's in my dual halo projectors it looks amazing! Mine are the 2nd ones I listed below they took the H1 bulb and I installed the 880's (same as 894) in my fogs. Both in 20000K Deep Blue, no cops stopped me or nobody flashed me yet, it's been 4 months. I have researched the lights on ebay for a while, there is basically 3 kinds of halo lights there. 1st and cheapest are a single halo in the middle (not so hot) 2nd and next expensive and available with black or chrome are dual halo's with 3 LED lights in white on the outside edge of the low beam (the halo is not as bright but they have a yellowish halogen driving light between the High beam and low beam which can be changed to a 194 LED 25 smd bulb in white or blue, looks real cool) and the 3rd are the most expensive but the best.They are the dual CCFL (brightest) Halo's with some LED's that look like the new Audi's across the bottom outside edge (most expensive, but well worth it) The 2nd and 3rd can be bought in 6 piece combo's with bumper & side marker lights in clear or tinted, also. Not sure witch low beam bulb you need for the 1st or 3rd set I listed above but the 2nd takes H1, if anyone knows they can add to this. Will add pics soon! Oh yeah with my fogs adding the 880's (894) HID'S would not fit with rubber gasket but to loose without, so I trimmed the outer raised portion off the gasket and it fit perfectly!
    Last edited by nillam1; 05-19-2009 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added pics.

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nillam1 View Post
    Oh yeah with my fogs adding the 880's (894) HID'S would not fit with rubber gasket but to loose without, so I trimmed the outer raised portion off the gasket and it fit perfectly!
    yup! be careful and do not force them in there its a tight fit.

Black
    02 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by totalkos View Post
    Most aftermarket Halos take h3s, some take h1 bulbs. all the hid "kits" are the same for the most part, just different bulbs.

projectors are made for hid, regular lenses are not.

h3 projectors in all honesty arent very good for headlights, but are better than no projectors at all (like stock headlights). h3 is actually a fog light projector.

And as far as fogs, 880,881,893,894, all these are the same, all fit into the same housing and plug into the same connector. The only difference is the angle of the connector and the wattage.

880 --- 27.5 Watt, straight connector
    881 --- 27.5 Watt, right-angle connector
    893 --- 35 Watt, straight connector
    894 --- 35 Watt, right-angle connector

i went with 894 for my camaro fogs in the stock housings, and i have the dual ccfl halos w/ h3 projector headlights in black with an h3 kit. i went with 8000k(lows and fogs) for the temperature, (the higher, the dimmer, somewhere around 4000k is the brightest). i like the cool blue look of the 8000k is why i went with it.
    Im about ready to order some new lights as well, just cant make up my mind, Do you have any pic's w/ your lights on/off & could you post a link to the stuff you got thx hey...

Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    I installed mine over a year ago, and they still look great!

Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Wow. looking good. What do you use frequently? Is HIDs and Halos eat a lot of battery life?

black
    02 vette vert

help me out here a little. the halos are just decorative without any actual visibility improvement, right?

Black
    1999,Camaro z28

yes you can i did my looks great )

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Karen:
    The halos are just decorative.
    When my headlights aren't on, the halos are; have them tied in to the fog lights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information