Silver
    2002 Firebird T/A - WS6

Unhappy Hail Damage This past week- Reading, PA

Hello All,
    Many East Coast folks may have heard of the massive and destructive hail storm about 40 miles north of Philadelphia this past Thursday. Sadly I took my Trans Am to an all-day business-search meeting into Reading because my daily drive car was in the shop, and in the afternoon watched as thousands of others did, golf-ball and larger hail-2"+ pound cars, buildings, people, etc. for over 7 minutes.

I'm really sad and sick for the damage but I am really impressed at how well the car did, despite this pounding. The fiberglass portions were totally undamaged except for some 'crazed' areas probably from some huge hail.
    The two rear fenders are totally dimpled- probably 1/8' deep craters- not that bad really. The windshield is completely shattered but held and did not fall into the car. The t-tops survived!...I could not believe it. The side mirrors look like someone took a hatchet and just smashed them to pieces. And the headlight covers are very slightly dimpled. Overall, the Firebird is one tough car in more than one way! Other than the windshield, some people look at it quickly and can hardly tell it's damaged, until they look closer. But for those of us who love the car, it's a bit sickening.

When I drove out to go home - many other cars- such as the newer foreign brands were all totally compromised... sunroofs, front and rear windshields, some side windows, and the bodies looked like they were smashed with literally thousands of ball pein hammer hits- they were that deep. Shows you how thin the metal is getting on the new cars. But the Firebird was still totally tight and dry inside- not compromised. I still think that is amazing.

So, I'm here asking anyone with some knowledge in this area, how to proceed. I have been talking to my insurance guys, and the local shops here are already out two months or more for repairs due to the sheer number of thousands of damaged vehicles.

I was hoping some of you would have extra parts that I could obtain at good prices, or even some heartfelt donations from the great people here. I don't know if I should cash settle and see who can do the work for the check payout, or try to find the 1000 deductible I have...lol - and I lost my job a few months ago! It's real tough to walk past it in the garage.... I can't imagine the summer without it.

The final tally is:
    Both side mirror housings- it looks like the electrical mirror mechanisms are ok.
    Both rear fenders
    Both headlight covers
    Windshield

My questions are:
    ~Will the car need a full repaint due to the crazed marks in the fiberglass surfaces? Is there more of an issue here than I know about?
    ~What are my best options for repair due to the 1000 deductible? Settle and find a shop to repair it for that amount?
    ~Try to buy/get replacement parts and do the repairs in a series, as can be afforded?
    ~Should I try to find any local paint-less ding repairs where they pull out the dings with a vacuum? Does this really work?

Any help and suggestions are welcome. I can post pics at some later time if it really matters. I was not sure of where to post this- this section or others, so re-post or pass it on if necessary, and if you can help or know of anyone that can.
    Again- I appreciate any and all help and suggestions from all of you out there. Thanks!

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Alas i cannot offer any help....

.... but i DO feel for you! I cringe at the effort it took to get mine here
    and would be screaming it if happened to mine.

As far as the paintless dent repair goes, you would be amazed
    at the talent of some of these guys and if they are, as i suspect,
    soft dents with no paint lifting i would try that route.

I imagine they will be able to get behind sufficiently?

Trev

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

If you can get the mirrors from ebay, get them and we can talk you through the install process. As far as the windshield, try a mobile glass repair/replacement company like Safelite. As for the body damage, put the car away until you get yourself financially stable again and have a shop fill the dings and respray the entire car.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Very sorry to hear. We got hit with hail up here last week, but nothing of that size.

Post up some pics. Chances are very high insurance will total out the car.

Most of it can be fixed with PDR. I was in a hail storm back in 2002. Not a single mark remains on the car which I still have today.

These plastic/fiber fenders hold up great. Its a shame saturn never did better.

Thread Information