Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Fiber Glass vs Carbon Fiber

I want a ws6 hood, I would like a oem hood, but trying to find out the difference if i just went with fiberglass or carbon fiber, and which would b the better of the 2.
    Last edited by FutureWS6; 09-07-2009 at 08:17 AM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

bump? come on some ones gotta know

Black
    1998 Trans Am

It depends on what you like. Its just two different materials. Carbon Fiber is definitly the more flimsy out of the two though

Black
    1999 Trans Am

which one u think would do best without cracking or anything like that in Texas heat

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Fiberglass. Plus you wont have the "ricer" effect going on. I had considered getting a carbon fiber hood but backed away from it

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Don't the 04 z06's have carbon fiber hoods?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I'd get it painted......so ya that to which would paint be best on. and yes z06 04 had carbon fiber hood

Black
    1998 Trans Am

If youre gonna paint it then i would definitly get fiberglass. i think most people get the carbon fiber cuz they like the look of it

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

fiberglass for sure

WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am 6speedTAthistime's Avatar

Silver
    02 Trans am

I would go with APM WS6 Hood, It's made out of the same composite material as the OEM hoods. Unless, you get a REALLY good fiberglass hood, you will have more money in fixing it and fitment. Carbon Fiber, Don't waste your time, they never really tried to make a hood for the F-Body because they knew no one would buy it.

If you want a Fiberglass hood Go with Trufiber. They have the best fitment and best quality. Suncoast Creations is good, but over priced and the nostrils looks horrible.

Here is the difference in the Trufiber, APM and Suncoast Hoods. The Nostrils are Rectangled where as the APM looks like oem. The Trufiber you can stick Stock OEM WS6 Grilles in it and they will fit. Trufiber is the best bang for the buck.

the suncoast Intake Routing is so that you HAVE to use their air box and TRUST ME, your better of using your stock airbox over theirs. The trufiber and APM hood have the intake air routed just like stock, so you can utilize the stock airbox or any lid that you may have

Suncoast $695

APM $895

Trufiber $455.05

Here is the description for the APM Hood. (It evens utilized the stock WS6 Airbox)

This WS6 style hood is a factory replica that is fully ram air functional when used with the optional ram air box to give your vehicle a little extra punch if you "feel the need for speed." It is constructed from an OEM engineered material for a perfect fit and finish every time. Also included are two black plastic honeycomb vent grilles and two silver "ram air" decals. This hood comes with a one year warranty. The air box installs in about five minutes, by removing and replacing four screws. This Hood comes either unpainted or prepainted by us.

If you are ordering a painted hood put the Paint code in the Notes section during checkout, or Email us at sales@cincyperformance.com and make the subject your order number.

Find out more about our painting process

Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery of painted products

PLEASE NOTE: We do not guarantee paint color match for vehicles more than three model years old.

If your vehicle is older, you may have to buff the rest of your vehicle to bring back its shine to match the hood's new paint.

PAINT QUALITY: APM Automotive's paint quality standard is the same as can be expected at any local body shop charging a similar price. This level of quality means there may be slight imperfections in the paint surface. If you, as a customer, need a "show quality" paint finish, we recommend that you purchase a hood in the unpainted state and have the painting performed by a custom paint business in your area.

Black/Carbon
    95 Camaro

Go with carbon fiber. VIS brand has all around great hoods and been in the game a while. If you want good air induction u know if ur not FI then u have a FTRA style intake and won't need a subpar "functional" hood anyway. As for CF being "rice" grow up and read a book or two. Learn what performan is and find your P/W ratio. Because in the end every lil bit counts and that's one of the biggest things that keeps letting V6s and 4cyl beat u.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

If you can't tell the difference between the Carbon fiber and fiberglass versions after they're painted, I'd go Carbon fiber ... of course, quality matters.

Silver
    02 Trans am

Have any of you ACTUALLY SEEN a VIS Carbon Fiber Hood for the Trans Am/Camaro? I've been trying to get a picture for over a year, and they don't even have the hood in stock to take a picture, nor any customers to take a pic of it.

personally, that sounds kinda sketchy to me. So I'd be careful with that. PLUS their WS6 Style hood, which they call "GTO" is NON FUNCTIONAL so you would have to cut the nostrils out yourself.

Get a hood that the company has actually taken the time to make correctly. Not just something that they import and have for sale on their site but dont have any information on.

Just my 2 cents

Here's a pic of the "GTO" Style Hood $ 896

But no pics of the OEM Hood

Unless you want the Carbon Creations Hood for over $700
    Last edited by 6speedTAthistime; 09-18-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Silver
    02 Trans am

Once again, NON FUNCTIONAL. Yes it weighs less, BUT your not getting the RAM AIR part of the WS6 RAM AIR hood. So you are getting alot less air which means less fuel which means Less power. So whatever "gains" you get from the hoods weight you are actually losing since you are starving the engine of air. So basically just lay off the twinkies and lose the 10lbs to make up for the difference that you get from the CF hood

Last edited by 6speedTAthistime; 09-18-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Black/Carbon
    95 Camaro

Can u read ? If you can I suggest you read about the Ram-Air Hood vs Stock vs FTRA style intake. The gains from the SS/WS6/TA are laughable @ best. There mostly JUST for LOOKS. If you want ram air get the real thing. Don't settle for gimmic that's been proven not to be so great years ago, hop of the fail train and come read some threads in the 'external performance' section. And if FTRA is to expensive for great HP gains then u can make one your self tools included I made 3 for about 60 bucks. Have a nice weekend. More info @ installuniversity, I have nothing to do with them or any1 else I just like the truth 2 be known. Sell hard 6speed sell hard !
    P.S. 6speed do have some sort of TA hood mod that supplys more fuel for power when u go faster ? Is it the wet kit ? What PSI does your hood provide ?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speedTAthistime View Post
    Once again, NON FUNCTIONAL. Yes it weighs less, BUT your not getting the RAM AIR part of the WS6 RAM AIR hood. So you are getting alot less air which means less fuel which means Less power. So whatever "gains" you get from the hoods weight you are actually losing since you are starving the engine of air. So basically just lay off the twinkies and lose the 10lbs to make up for the difference that you get from the CF hood

Click for full size
    Click for full size

Silver
    02 Trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Iyyob View Post
    P.S. 6speed do have some sort of TA hood mod that supplys more fuel for power when u go faster ?
    Yes i do, it's call an open ram air hood which allows more air to flow in for more power. ALONG with the Free Ram air Mod. I've done my share of Dyno testing different intakes/hood setups. I have the dyno graphs to prove it. Don't waste your time on a non fuctional cheap ass hood. Get the real thing. End Of Story.

Black/Carbon
    95 Camaro

Id like for you to post them. In all my reading and research a functional hood is garbage compaired to ftra/ssra. Its moreso detremental to the air flow when u use them both. You can't 'Ram' the air in from both ways one will have less pressure and then you will be splitting the psi with the TB. That's why u SEAL your airbox for best gains/results in ALL cases no matter if its FTRA/SSRA or failair fuctional hood. Go do your homework or GTFO no need to be spreading false 'gimics' to make a sale. Help people don't be a disservice to the forums. P.S. I sold my fuctional oem gawd hood for 250 towards a POS non-fuctional CF hood and added FTRA setup and I can FEEL the powerz. Couldn't love it more. Have a nice day.

Silver
    02 Trans am

They are on my other computer, ill post them in the morning. The Hood also lets air in to cool down the engine as well. And some aftermarket hoods have rear extractors to let that air out as well. So not only does it let it in the intake, it also it for cooling purposes.

Also, How am i "Making a sale" I've NEVER once said anything about selling anything to anyone. I have nothing in my signature about any kind of business.

Black/Carbon
    95 Camaro

No sales huh ? Still waitin for these ghost dynos.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6speedTAthistime View Post
    I would go with APM WS6 Hood, It's made out of the same composite material as the OEM hoods. Unless, you get a REALLY good fiberglass hood, you will have more money in fixing it and fitment. Carbon Fiber, Don't waste your time, they never really tried to make a hood for the F-Body because they knew no one would buy it.

If you want a Fiberglass hood Go with Trufiber. They have the best fitment and best quality. Suncoast Creations is good, but over priced and the nostrils looks horrible.

Here is the difference in the Trufiber, APM and Suncoast Hoods. The Nostrils are Rectangled where as the APM looks like oem. The Trufiber you can stick Stock OEM WS6 Grilles in it and they will fit. Trufiber is the best bang for the buck.

the suncoast Intake Routing is so that you HAVE to use their air box and TRUST ME, your better of using your stock airbox over theirs. The trufiber and APM hood have the intake air routed just like stock, so you can utilize the stock airbox or any lid that you may have

Suncoast $695
    Click for full size

APM $895
    Click for full size

Trufiber $455.05
    Click for full size
    Here is the description for the APM Hood. (It evens utilized the stock WS6 Airbox)

This WS6 style hood is a factory replica that is fully ram air functional when used with the optional ram air box to give your vehicle a little extra punch if you "feel the need for speed." It is constructed from an OEM engineered material for a perfect fit and finish every time. Also included are two black plastic honeycomb vent grilles and two silver "ram air" decals. This hood comes with a one year warranty. The air box installs in about five minutes, by removing and replacing four screws. This Hood comes either unpainted or prepainted by us.

If you are ordering a painted hood put the Paint code in the Notes section during checkout, or Email us at sales@cincyperformance.com and make the subject your order number.

Find out more about our painting process

Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for delivery of painted products

PLEASE NOTE: We do not guarantee paint color match for vehicles more than three model years old.

If your vehicle is older, you may have to buff the rest of your vehicle to bring back its shine to match the hood's new paint.

PAINT QUALITY: APM Automotive's paint quality standard is the same as can be expected at any local body shop charging a similar price. This level of quality means there may be slight imperfections in the paint surface. If you, as a customer, need a "show quality" paint finish, we recommend that you purchase a hood in the unpainted state and have the painting performed by a custom paint business in your area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information