Black
    2001 WS6

custom interior painting

Ok after doing a search, I know this topic has been beaten to death but I want to know what the proper way to paint the interior pieces. I'm going to paint my center console radio bezel, speaker grilles, and possibly where the door handle and window switches are if i can do it right. What is the correct order of events, including what specific grit to use. Im not looking for sema quality, just something that's going to last a long time. The interior is black, and I'll be doing a nice deep bright gold. And what is wet sanding?

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Hey buddy. Just take some light sand paper, 1000 grit or so, and sand the piece down. Then take your primer, preferably filler primer and spary down again and wait for it to dry up. Wet sand the primer surface smooth then spray with color. Do the sprays in light mists to prevent runs. After you're satisfied with the base color appearance, apply a couple coats of clear

Black
    2001 WS6

yea i did that on my old t/a and they would crack and flake off after a while. I want something that's gonna last

Junior Member 1 Bad Ass Formula's Avatar

Black
    98 Formula

On the bezels I'd use 400 then 800 to smooth the pieces down then use enamel primer the sand with 800 until smooth, if you break through the primer then apply some more primer & sand again.

Then use enamel of whatever color you're planning on painting the pieces, let them sit until dry and then sand using 1000 grit until it is smooth, and then clear coat.

This is the method I used 5 years ago when painting my bezel pieces, they held up good unless they were hit pretty good by something metal to make the paint chip off. I had no cracking or flaking at all after 5 years going by this method. I used Model Master's Enamel Primer, Yellow, & Clear Coat paint on my bezels though I'd imagine any enamel would work.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Another thing to do is wipe down everything with alcohol or some other degreaser to remove any dressing or oil from them. I think duplicolor makes interior specific paint that will flex slightly. I am not sure what colors they have though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

To prevent cracking, you can use adhesion promoter.

Black
    2001 WS6

Hey thanks guys. I went all over the place looking for the right gold today. I first took a degreaser and wiped all the pieces down, then washed them and let them dry. Then, I took 160 grit sand paper to them, washed them and let them dry. Took the adhesive promotor, let them dry. black primer, dry. Sanded with 600 grit, washed , dried. adhesive promotor, dry. Base coat 1, dry. Sanded with 600 grit again, washed, dried. coat two, dry. coat 3, dry. Clear coat 1, dry. clear coat 2, dry. clear coat 3, and they're drying overnight. I really hope these turn out good. I'm doing the circle parts around the ac vents too as a nice cliche to the black. Anyway, I'll post a link to the pics when im done. thanks guys for your help

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

pics?

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    Hey thanks guys. I went all over the place looking for the right gold today. I first took a degreaser and wiped all the pieces down, then washed them and let them dry. Then, I took 160 grit sand paper to them, washed them and let them dry. Took the adhesive promotor, let them dry. black primer, dry. Sanded with 600 grit, washed , dried. adhesive promotor, dry. Base coat 1, dry. Sanded with 600 grit again, washed, dried. coat two, dry. coat 3, dry. Clear coat 1, dry. clear coat 2, dry. clear coat 3, and they're drying overnight. I really hope these turn out good. I'm doing the circle parts around the ac vents too as a nice cliche to the black. Anyway, I'll post a link to the pics when im done. thanks guys for your help
    yeah, they should be dry by now. Give up the pics and tell us how it turned out. Its like a chick sob story...........we gotta know how it turned out. I have my stereo bezel done and it doesn't budge in color or cracking. Didn't do all that though. Just painted it like a model airplane and it turned out just fine. Been that way for about 2 years now.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I don't know...but if it floats your boat, OK.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ramairgod84 View Post
    Got any pics yet?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

i suggest sanding them copletely smooth, so there is no texture, using increasingly finer grits
    then use a sandable primer, then compressed air and paint one good coat and let dry for 24 hours and hit it again and wait another 24 and install....

Red
    1998 Firebird

I was planning on painting some pieces in the engine bay today...how would i go about doing that..same concept? It get very hot in the engine bay so will i need some specific kind of paint to stans the heat?

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

I used Ceramic brake caliper paint on my MAF. I taped up the sensor though. Make sure you don't paint that or you will have probs.

Make sure you clean and/or sand lightly and primer those prior.

The MAF is holding up fine.

Last edited by BIG GUNS; 12-17-2008 at 08:44 AM. Reason: forgot pic

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Here is a better pic

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Here is a better pic

Click for full size
    thanks guns, I think im gonna paint mine silver now...along with all the other shit i got on my to do list.....it never ends

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    thanks guns, I think im gonna paint mine silver now...along with all the other shit i got on my to do list.....it never ends
    Yeah, I get all kinds of ideas from looking at what others have done on here along with looking at after market websites. Post some pics up here when you get some progress made on it so I can see k?

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by BIG GUNS View Post
    Yeah, I get all kinds of ideas from looking at what others have done on here along with looking at after market websites. Post some pics up here when you get some progress made on it so I can see k?
    It keeps snowing, and the car is in the other garage and its cold over there and i cant get it into the heated garage..... otherwise i got a ton to do, lol i got TTM's waiting to go on, along with a nitrous kit, and some painting and free mods i want to do....

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Well, the weather will be getting warmer soon enough. I'm sure you will have fun when it does. I'm glad I don't live in SODAK, NODAK or Minnesota.

That weather sucks ass.

Thread Information