Black
    1998 T/A Convertible

Coverlay dash cover install

The forum keeps bugging me to post stuff, but so far I haven't done anything that hasn't already been covered a dozen times. Granted, I'd hoped to start off with something a lot more interesting than fixing a sun-brittled dash, but hey... I gotta start somewhere.

So. Black '98 Trans Am convertible purchased a few months back, got it up to par where it counts... (took first in CP at the last autocross, not that that is saying much at the local level. 1st place was a beer mug though... so I'm psyched!) Tried to tuck away a wire a few weeks back and discovered the dash top becomes thin ice after 14 years. I should have known better as a once (but probably no longer) decent stereo installer.

So, the Coverlay setup. Not bad. Price sucks. Rockauto.com with a 5% discount code (always googleable) got it to my door cheaper than anyone. Fit is as good as they advertise. At least looking at my unglued test fit. The silicone is drying as we speak, so in 8 hours, we'll see. I'll post pictures as soon as my phone finishes "synching" with my PC. If, after one post, I'm allowed to post pictures. No idea.

The instructions are good, (they have a video online too... usually linked from wherever it is sold,) but I'd add that you might take a couple of test fitments while pretending the silicone is already applied. I did not, but decided to go gun-ho and popped it in, somehow avoiding getting silicone everywhere. I then wedged cardboard against the glass and set several books that are far too large for me to have ever read on the level points. They say to only glue the perimeter due to potential warping, but I did add some drops and dabs around the nasty cracked areas to help reduce potential vibrations. I'd rather see a bump than listen to a buzz from here on out.

Now I'll work on pictures.

Black
    1998 T/A Convertible

The old dash. The crack wasn't this bad, but in order to get the Coverlay to sit flatter I had to remove some imperfections... and no, I was not careful.

- - - Updated - - -

Coverlay set in place, no glue.

Black
    1998 T/A Convertible

And some close ups of the seams, again, before glue:

Black
    1998 T/A Convertible

I'm hoping the silicone and weighted down will close up those seams at least a little bit. But from the driver's seat, it looks a ton better already.

Black
    1998 T/A Convertible

meh. It's pretty good. I think I set it a little too far toward the windshield... left a 1/2 cm of old dash showing. My bad. But the mesh that covers the center vent is getting pretty lumpy already. Might look better during the cold months. Still waaaay better than a carpet cover.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

damn, could have used this a year ago...I think I bought that exact cover, it didn't quite fit, had to trim it, ended up losing the end of a finger. Cover got all scratched up later, ended up throwing it away and selling it as it.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think it looks very good. I like that mesh. Gives the dash an updated look.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Definitely a major improvement, but I agree with OP: it's not quite "perfect."

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks for posting. I wasn't aware they made a cover like this. I think the only thing I have seen are members covering theirs in vinyl, or those carpet style overlays. I bought a spare dash cover around 3 years ago after a member was involved in an accident and have that tucked away in case ours ever cracks. Plan on keeping our car forever and want to be prepared.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

It has been several months. How does the cover look now?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good question -- I am also curious as to how it has held up.

Thread Information